Runners -- Talk to me about Newton Shoes, Please?

Options
Was lined up for a 5K yesterday and we were delayed a good bit because there was a snafu clearing the race course. Happened to be right next to a client of mine and we got to chatting. He was wearing Free Run 2s (same shoe my husband had on down to the color scheme) and I had on my older Free Runs because my 4.0 are wearing out after 300 miles in 3 months. Anyway, he mentioned Newtons and how he loved them for logging those extra miles. They have them at Fleet Feet here in town so I am curious about feedback before I go take a look.

I need one or two more pairs of new shoes. I want to stay in neutral minimal shoes since I've done well with that and am really getting good midfoot strike now. My second toe is longer than my big toe, so I have to watch out for black toenail syndrome, especially on the left foot.

Replies

• marmalade2000
    Options
    I'm on my third pair of Newtons and I will never again run in anything else. Believe me I've tried. Spent lots of money trying other shoes, but I have always come back to my Newts. Lesson learned :-) They have minimal heel to toe drop and a very roomy toe box. The lugs on the bottom of the shoe give a nice amount of energy return as well. (Lots of info on the Newton website) I wear my newts a full size larger than my everyday shoe. (FWIW I run about 50km a week, my half marathon PB is an 1:49:50 and I'm gearing up for my first full Marathon next year) Anythings specific u wanted to know ask away.
  • laureltn
    laureltn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    OH!! Just seeing this before going to bed. will ask lots of questions tomorrow. Am going to try to hit Fleet Feet for a try-on session soon too. thanks and more Newton Lovers, please come on down and share your thoughts!
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    I haven't tried Newtons- but I LOVE my Merrel Barefoots.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-us/Product.mvc.aspx/22877W/61047?cid=SEM-GPDE-MERR12

My fave shoes, EVER.

My second toe is longer, and my feet are size 11 regular width. Their 11s are a PERFECT fit. :)
  • laureltn
    Options
    Thanks Zebisis and I will look at them as well! My questions on the Newtons are from a Free to Newts, which version is recommended? Did you start with one design and then adjust and work to even less drop? I got a heel fracture and torn peroneal tendon from too much shoe and heel strike back in late 2009/early 2010. That surgery was HORRIBLE and I read Born to Run while I was incapacitated and healing. After rehab, I started in Frees and have never worn anything else since. Injury-free too! WHOOT! So that's what I'm after -- nothing that's going to mess with my mid-foot strike and just help me keep on logging miles happy and healthy.
  • marmalade2000
    Options
    When I started running about five yrs ago I started out in a traditional shoe I got at The Running Room. Had nothing but problems. Shin splints!!! I naturally run on my forefoot and I under pronate rather noticeably. I almost gave up on running until I found Newtons. They allow my foot to work the way it wants too. At the end of my first pairs lifespan (and needing a new pair of shoes) I tried the Nike Frees. While they caused me no problems and r similar to newts, they were missing the energy return the lugs give. My legs felt dead. So I purchased a second pair of newts which I just retired. They had almost a thousand kilometers on them!!! When I'm forced to run on the treadmill (which heading into winter in Canada is very soon) I wear Vibram KOS. I would say transitioning from the Free to Newtons would be rather an easy one.
  • laureltn
    Options
    Oh, can't wait to try them out at Fleet Feet! We're leaving for a sailing vacation Friday so it may have to wait until I get home, but I will definitely get my feet into a pair soon. thanks again!
  • LoriLoves2Run
    Options
    I just bought Women's Newton Running Distance U. I'm hoping they get here tomorrow in time for my Sunday run. I'll fill you in on the details. Right now I wear Asics Kayano and I love them. I've had to retire my rotation Mizuno and thought I'd try out the Newton's after seeing some amazing reviews. I got the Newtons through roadrunner. With VIP discount and a coupon code I found at retailmenot.com, I managed to get them for about $130.