Work in a Restaurant

Options
I find it difficult to maintain self control while at my weekend serving job. It's fine italian dining and everywhere you turn there is food. I tried being good and made a salad for myself for dinner, but then I ended up having a piece of shrimp off an extra shrimp cocktail, then there was a party going on and all the appetizers came into the kitchen and there were meatballs, short ribs, nachos, potato soup...etc. I mean I am not coming down on myself too hard because out of all that food I had 1 piece of shrimp and 6 mini meatballs.. but I'd prefer if I'd had none. any suggestions for better self control in an eating environment?

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm fresh out of ideas. I would eat everything in sight. I'm really hungry.
  • laceyfowler
    laceyfowler Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm fine italian dining! That can be a tough one because even when you think you're being healthy, something like roasted veggies can end up being soaked in butter or oil... delicious, but not exactly healthy! I'd say try a few things:
    1.) eat right before going to work if at all possible
    2.) drink tons of water - drink water (add lemon if you don't like plain water) every time you have a free minute. Unsweetened iced tea or coffee could work too. It keeps your mouth busy and your stomach fuller.
    3.) Chow down on the shrimp! As long as they're not breaded, plain ole shrimp are VERY low calorie and low fat, so indulge in those
    4.) If you're tight with the chefs, you may be able to get them to cook up a special order of delicious seasonal veggies and shrimp with tons of flavorful seasonings but without all the oil/butter

and lastly...
    5.) If you "mess up," just get right back to being healthy. Don't waste time beating yourself up or feeling like a failure; most of us slip now and then. Try to get to the gym to burn some extra calories, and get back on the healthy eating track immediately :-)
  • melissa5604
    Options
    I too used to work in a fine restuarant. I was cooking though during banquets, partys & weddings I would have to be out in the dining area , making sure everything was running smoothly.
    I was my fittest when I worked there. I literally got so sick of food , I would not eat nothing the whole time at work. If I did get something I would just get a steak or chicken breast. Maybe a salad now and then. For sure when the food has been out to the dining area and then came back to the kitchen , I would NOT touch it. Money does NOT equal class and manners. I have seen people pick up a food item with their hand and put it back, have witnesses grown *kitten* people stick their fingers in the chocolate fountain and lick their fingers and DO it again. This was at a membership only yacht and country club. Just dont eat the food that comes back. lol
  • er03bald
    er03bald Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Lacey- Those are great tips! however the problem is not so much the availability of healthy food as much as it is the abundant availability of fatty foods. I usually work 4:45-11pm. The cooks will grill me a piece of chicken if I ask, but then there is things like picking at the crumbled pieces of cheese cake when plating a dessert, or an extra side of pasta that's sitting on the counter or someone's got a loaf of bread with a vodka cream sauce for dipping... I know I make it sound like i eat my whole shift...but the entire staff pretty much does. I can be strong, but temptation is over abundant.

Melissa- I total know what you're talking about with how gross people are. The food that was coming back tonight was what was left over in the Chaffers from a "friends and family" type party. as far as getting sick of the food i'm true blue italian when it comes to food lol enough said :happy:
  • rcockrell6
    rcockrell6 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I find it better to eat a meal befor you go to work I also have a part time job in a restuarant. hope that helps It is hard though.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I work cooking at a restaurant. I don't eat the food there unless I actually get a meal. I sort of put the food I am working with in another category in my mind...its a product, not something for me to eat. I do have to taste some things....but its only a teaspoon, I don't have a plateful.