Opinions? vegan/vegetarian

Options
Hello Everyone,

Ive decided after you tube videos that i will no longer be eating meat. My question is, if vegan cheese,butter,tofu,veggie burgers taste ok? I'd like to be able to cut out ALL animal products. But i also have 2 picky eaters. if i have to do this on my own i will. but im curious which is better not just for animals but for a healthy lifestyle. if you guys could also direct me to any blogs for vegan and vegetarian recipes that would be wonderful!

Replies

• SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    vegetariantimes has a good website also wholeliving.

you are making your kids eat a vegan diet? make sure you consult with a doctor. eliminating food groups comes with certain deficiencies that you will need to counteract.

you can be a healthy meat eater and an unhealthy vegetarian. a lot of people confuse not eating meat or the by-products with health and that is not always the case. make sure you do your research. i am not anti veg. i have to put that in, but i just wanted to point those things out.
  • maerieanne
    maerieanne Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    well here in mexico we don't get vegan cheese, mayo and some of those fancy alternatives and if we do they're reaaaaaally expensive, about 10usd for a veggie mayo

I'm used no to eat them, with just soy I'm doing pretty well, and they are really really processed food, specially cheese alternatives... I don't remember the taste of the real thing but my brother tells me they taste pretty much the same

I don't know what kind of recipes are you looking for but here http://punchfork.com/vegan redirects you to a lot of blogs, that might help, or you can try google a recipes and just type vegan, you can also check out my diary but I'm pretty lazy so I just eat the same stuff a lot

oh and if you speak spanish http://www.haztevegetariano.com has a lot of recipes, that's my main "source" if you can call it that way
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Firstly yay! Congratulations on making the best decision of your life (; I'm vegan (for moral reasons), have been vegan for 3 1/2 years and vegetarian my whole life (: Feel free to message me with any specific questions/recipes/tips you'd like, I hate talking about veganism on forums as I hate vegan debates haha. All i'm going to say here is that vegan food can be delicious, it doesn't have to be boring. I don't eat many meat/dairy replacements except for soy/rice milk, soy yoghurt and I do occasionally have textured vegetable protein (tvp)/soy mince/tempeh in things like bolognese or in fajitas. I don't feel the need to put fake cheese on homemade pizzas/whatever, it's something that you'll realise isn't needed and you can load up on veggies instead! You could take a look at my food diary for ideas but I eat pretty boring actually haha :3

Definitely invest in some cookbooks by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, and follow her website theppk.com - she made going vegan ridiculously easy with a billion amazing recipes (and her cookbooks are just as brilliant to just read because they're so funny). There will be plenty of recipes and ideas to keep your children/family happy (:
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Definitely invest in some cookbooks by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, and follow her website theppk.com - she made going vegan ridiculously easy with a billion amazing recipes (and her cookbooks are just as brilliant to just read because they're so funny). There will be plenty of recipes and ideas to keep your children/family happy (:

This is exactly what I was going to post. Well, except for the picky-kids part - a lot of her recipes are super-delicious but really involved and don't fit into a full-time-job-and-kids-having lifestyle. BUT the cookbooks are still worth reading because they give you a good foundation on how to put ingredients together to get different flavors, and you can modify from there. The mac and shews on the website is fantastic - my picky kids would chow it unendingly, but I'm never ever going to tell them there's sauerkraut in it.

Vegan cheese is gross, and you shouldn't bother with it. (I've heard Daiya is good, but it's so expensive I've never even tried it.) Other fakes - well, it's always better to eat real food than fake food, and a while a vegan hot dog is going to be better for you than a real one, that still doesn't make it *good* for you. But they're convenient, they taste good, and I use them in a pinch, so you know, whatever works for your family.

Vegweb.org is another good resource, and happycow.net is good for finding restaurants to eat in. Feel free to add me if you want to check out what I eat, although it's probably not that inspiring (and not always vegan; I eat dairy a couple of times a week and some things with egg in them). Good luck!
  • mommie_on_a_mission
    Options
    vegetariantimes has a good website also wholeliving.

you are making your kids eat a vegan diet? make sure you consult with a doctor. eliminating food groups comes with certain deficiencies that you will need to counteract.

you can be a healthy meat eater and an unhealthy vegetarian. a lot of people confuse not eating meat or the by-products with health and that is not always the case. make sure you do your research. i am not anti veg. i have to put that in, but i just wanted to point those things out.

Oh no! definetly not putting my kids on a vegan diet. they are 2 and 5. I only ment it'd be harder to go vegan since i have kids. my son doesnt eat meat, he loves fish and chicken but wont touch meat,hes always been that way. My daughter only likes meat no chicken or fish.
  • mommie_on_a_mission
    Options
    Firstly yay! Congratulations on making the best decision of your life (; I'm vegan (for moral reasons), have been vegan for 3 1/2 years and vegetarian my whole life (: Feel free to message me with any specific questions/recipes/tips you'd like, I hate talking about veganism on forums as I hate vegan debates haha. All i'm going to say here is that vegan food can be delicious, it doesn't have to be boring. I don't eat many meat/dairy replacements except for soy/rice milk, soy yoghurt and I do occasionally have textured vegetable protein (tvp)/soy mince/tempeh in things like bolognese or in fajitas. I don't feel the need to put fake cheese on homemade pizzas/whatever, it's something that you'll realise isn't needed and you can load up on veggies instead! You could take a look at my food diary for ideas but I eat pretty boring actually haha :3

Great!! ive added you and ill definetly look into chandra moskowitz!
  • kcb1027
    kcb1027 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I eat vegetarian and manage to be vegan about 4 days a week. I think the best advice I have is to say don't worry about rules or what label you apply to yourself. Just eat good whole food that you make yourself and when you find yourself at a dinner party or a restaurant, just make do with what you've got in front of you. If you eat a chicken breast every now and then because it was the healthiest protein source available, or buy a loaf of bread that has milk or egg product in it once in a while, who cares? The veggie police aren't going to arrest you. You are more likely to succeed at significantly reducing your animal product intake if you take it easy on yourself, and give yourself a chance to get used to a new way of cooking and to develop a new palate that enjoys your new foods. Eventually, you'll find that you've learned a new way of eating and cooking such that making veggie or vegan choices is habitual. Plus your friends will like you a lot better if you aren't that crazy "OMG IS THERE BUTTER IN THIS" person when you eat at their house.

I think fake veggie/vegan foods are generally terrible and not worth it. Most "fake" foods are full of sodium and crap and weird chemicals and that is exactly what they taste like. I would also avoid recipes that use vegetarian protein sources to simulate meat products. Like, "tempeh chicken nuggets" or "seitan pot roast". I like tempeh and tofu and seitan for what they are; they have their own flavors and textures and taste best in recipes that are designed to bring out the best in them. If you bite into a chunk of tempeh expecting something that resembles chicken, you are going to be disappointed.

I second the recommendations for Veganomicon; I also like the Oh She Glows recipes. I make these burgers all the time and keep them in the freezer; I change the recipe, though, by adding a diced bell pepper and a minced jalapeno, and omitting the almonds. I pulse everything together in the food processor so it is well combined and not as chunky as in the pictures. If you bake them for half an hour on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, then freeze, you can store them in a big ziploc in the freezer and pull them out to cook under the broiler or on the grill as needed.

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/07/13/our-perfect-veggie-burger/

Also, here is my secret for tofu: remove from package and drain liquid. Cut into cubes or slabs. Bring a pot of water to boil and drop the tofu pieces in. Boil for a few minutes until the tofu is floating/bobbing at the surface of the water (3-5 min?) Remove with slotted spoon and let drain on paper towels for several minutes. Then brown in a dry nonstick pan, grill, or broil as needed for your recipe.

Weirdly, boiling and then being left to steam removes more of the water from the tofu than the usual recommendation for draining and pressing. Drier tofu holds together better and browns/grills more easily.
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Being Vegan is REALLY easy... there is a something for any possible meal you might want to create!!
  • Destinie589
    Options
    2 of my favorite blogs!
    And buy the cookbook Cookin' Crunk
    http://vegancrunk.blogspot.com/
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/

And this blog is good too
    http://www.feedmeimcranky.com/
  • SJiqbal
    SJiqbal Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

As some of you may already know, it is World Vegan Month next month... I was thinking to turn this into a 30 day vegan challenge open to anyone or start a group perhaps. I started making a group but I don't think I have the time to completely man it on my own. If anyone is interested in becoming moderator of the group please msg/add me.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    When you say "which is best" it depends on what your reasons are. Environmentally, local eating is best. If your issues are compassionate living vegan is best, but if you are a very selective vegetarian it can also be (debatably) as compassionate. As far as health goes, this might depend on the person but both (vegetarian and vegan) are statistically healthier than the average omni.

ETA buy the Veganomicon cookbook either way :)
  • slenderbecky
    Options
    I recommend any cookbook by Dreena Burton. Her Vive Le Vegan is my personal favorite because her recipes are so simple. She has three kids (like me!) so I find her relatable...she often has suggestions for making a food more kid-friendly, and the recipes are quick to make and very whole foods based.

My kids eat a vegetarian, nearly vegan diet. (Vegan at home, vegetarian out of the house) I don't rely on any animal products to meet their nutritional needs. Cutting out meat and dairy isn't cutting out whole food groups. You just think in terms of new food groups. I think of the five vegan food groups as: legumes, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and nuts/seeds. Base your family's diet on these foods and you will all be very healthy.

As far as plant-based meats, etc: Yes, there are some delicious ones. You can get veggie nuggets that taste very similar to chicken nuggets (Boca makes good ones), you can get veggie dogs (Yves, or Field Roast), Tofurky deli slices (try the hickory smoked), vegenaise for your mayo, etc.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian and know no other way. You decide what is best for you.
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Ive decided after you tube videos that i will no longer be eating meat. My question is, if vegan cheese,butter,tofu,veggie burgers taste ok? I'd like to be able to cut out ALL animal products. But i also have 2 picky eaters. if i have to do this on my own i will. but im curious which is better not just for animals but for a healthy lifestyle. if you guys could also direct me to any blogs for vegan and vegetarian recipes that would be wonderful!

Awesome!
    Tofutti cream cheese = YUM
    The butter, I find, is great for baking.
    Tofu is delicious when cooked properly. :-)
    Veggie burgers by Garden Burger are great.
    If you want a more burger-esque, flame grilled Boca burgers are good.
    I highly recommend Morning Star products, however, they are slightly high in sodium.

http://vegweb.com/ is seriously THE best recipe website. It is great for finding delicious foods (with lots and lots of reviews) in both the vegan and vegetarian categories.
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Vegan is pretty extreme in my opinion.

Youd be surprised how many things have animal products. I had a vegan friend who was pretty hardcore. He wouldnt even eat Skittles or Starburst because they contained gelatin.

I think it would make life much more difficult doing the vegan lifestyle versus vegetarian.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I'm separated from vegetarians by one degree of separation: Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
    The cows that I don't eat poop on the food vegetarians eat.
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Congrats. It is hard to do. We made it a month and have backslidden, and it is hard to get back on the wagon. Family of 7, so, yes, especially using MFP you can know you are getting your protein, etc. It can work just fine with kids, even better than standard American fare for kids with allergies, ADHD, etc.

Really wishing I could get back on board. I have gained back a bunch of the weight and my motivation has gone down the tubes.

Almond milk is awesome. I try to stay away from the vegan products, though, and just worked on developing a taste for a whole new type of eating. Vegan products are pricey, but they can also make a big difference in the outcome of a dish, so there will be some times that you will use them. Just be choosey.

Hopefully I can get back on the wagon. I totally support you. Just don't start with all white pastas and non nutritive foods. Find things that have value.
  • HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    There's definitely an adjustment period, and you need to keep in mind that your tastes can and do change as you change what you eat. I found ending my relationship with animal products introduced me to eating way more healthy and interesting natural foods. I also started to love cooking way more than I ever did in the old days. It becomes easier and easier over time until it's your new normal and it's all a breeze, it just takes time. :)
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    933cc5f311b4.gif
  • the3erwins
    the3erwins Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You may have watched it, but if not, check out, "Vegucated." It's a "guerilla style" documentary on veganism. They have lots of tips and ideas that they present. I know you can stream it on Amazon.