Hair

Options
ILoveFroggies
ILoveFroggies Posts: 120 Member
Hey guys

So, my hair's getting a bit tiresome.

The cut/style is unappealing, and it always seems a bit limp.

Which type of shampoo do you think is best? Any fav brands? Doesn't have to be best of the best, just something that definitely works and works well. I've been using some natural chemical free stuff my family likes, but to be honest I don't think it's very effective...

As for cut, I never get it professionally cut, I just kind of get Mum/a friend to chop the ends off, so it's not layered or anything, and it just kind of ends in a straight line and is quite a thick bunch at the ends and kind of boofs out, which is not a fabulous look...

I want to keep it at a medium length, but just have a slightly nicer style (less thick/boofy at the very least)... Any suggestions?

Replies

• ILoveFroggies
    Options
    Oh, another couple of things to add, I always get split ends including some that are actually quite up high, what to do, what to do??

Also: Any recommendations on how to wear it (other than always just loose with a middle part...)
  • chrlslove7
    chrlslove7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to get a cut and style by a professional. It really makes a huge difference when they show you how your hair could look and how to style it. They'll probably want to cut it high enough to get the split ends off but that's ok. Learn how to tease your hair and how to use hot rollers or a straight iron....not every day obviously but those things will help :)
  • RMLMoore
    RMLMoore Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If finances are tight, you can also try going to a beauty school where a student cuts your hair while supervised by an instructor. Pretty good quality, up to date style and a bargain.
  • ILoveFroggies
    Options
    Thanks, guys!

If I do decide to go to a hairdresser, what sort of style should I ask for? Like... a trim with some layering?

Also, I do use a hair straightener (my hair is naturally a bit straight with a bit of wave, like not straight enough) and that makes a bit of a positive difference, but I still feel like my hair's so bulky at the ends, eww
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    maybe get it cut below your sholders, long layers add body.side banges,tell the lady/man at the salon what you want and they'll do what you want.. go look at my hair and you might like that style,its easy to manage.
  • CknGrl
    CknGrl Posts: 16
    Options
    Woody's mens hair products are so good and smell really nice too! To to a salon and tell them you want your look to be updated. Leave it up to them. You will be so happy with the results!
  • goldair23
    goldair23 Posts: 160
    Options
    Get it cut professionally, unless your mum or friend is a hairdresser.
    I'd suggest getting it cut to where your hair is healthy (i.e get rid of ALL split ends, which could take off some length), that will reduce the 'boofiness' as the hairs won't all be splitting and going all over the place at the ends.
    Also the cut/length of layers you'd want will also depend on your face shape - but as a general rule, don't get any layers any shorter than your chin length.

So maybe ask for something like this: Trim to a healthy length, a few layers (no shorter than chin length) and a little bit of framing around the face. Also I would suggest discussing with the hair stylist how much effort you're willing to put into your hair each day etc, this will also give them an idea of how to style it for you - You don't want a cut that requires a half hour to style every morning if you never usually do anything to it for example.

Oh! And get a serum. Either Moroccan Oil or the Kerastase Elixir Ultime - they're my favourites. They'll help to keep your hair smooth and shiny - just use sparingly or you'll look like an oil slick. I also suggest Redken for shampoos and conditioners.

Wow that turned into quite the novel xx
  • kinkykiddo
    Options
    As far as hair shampoos go, I swear by Dove and my lover (and my mom) swear by Aussie. Both Dove and Aussie have different 'types' of shampoo. Revival, damage repair, etc. Just pick whatever you feel fits your needs. Using a conditioner (if you're not already) could be good, too. I tend to always use matching conditioners. Like Dove shampoo for Revival, and then the same conditioner. Might be best to go with a lightweight conditioner though (Dove has weightless conditioners, just read the bottle) since some conditioners tend to make your hair look stringy if you use too much or take any extra volume away.

All the best.