Friend lost hope.

Options
I have a friend on MyFP that is female, 5' 3", and 190lb. Her diary is fine with regards to what she eats - the only problem I have is her water intake is too low. Her calorie goal is 1440 and she is often around this or slightly below. It has been a week using MyFP and she has not lost any weight and is disheartened. I will not prejudice any responses by telling you what I told her, but would appreciate others giving their reasons. Thanks.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Would need to know what her activity level and exercise programs are like. I'm at 1540 cals, 5'10", 223 lbs., lifting four days per week, elliptical for 20 minutes per day on two of those days, don't drink water at all, and I am losing weight faster than I can track it. Sounds like either her caloric intake is took high, or she isn't active enough...or both.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Tell her to just stick with it for a few weeks and see if it starts working before making any changes. Also, if I stay about the same for a week the chances of a decent loss the next week increase I've noticed :)
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I have a friend on MyFP that is female, 5' 3", and 190lb. Her diary is fine with regards to what she eats - the only problem I have is her water intake is too low. Her calorie goal is 1440 and she is often around this or slightly below. It has been a week using MyFP and she has not lost any weight and is disheartened. I will not prejudice any responses by telling you what I told her, but would appreciate others giving their reasons. Thanks.

Did she actually ask for your opinion then?
  • EPortJake
    EPortJake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes she did, but the answer I gave her was not what she wanted to hear and she disagreed with it.
  • EPortJake
    Options
    Would need to know what her activity level and exercise programs are like. I'm at 1540 cals, 5'10", 223 lbs., lifting four days per week, elliptical for 20 minutes per day on two of those days, don't drink water at all, and I am losing weight faster than I can track it. Sounds like either her caloric intake is took high, or she isn't active enough...or both.

Her activity level is lightly active, no exercise regime yet.
  • jesz124
    Options
    Yes she did, but the answer I gave her was not what she wanted to hear and she disagreed with it.

Oh haha. Whoopsie! Is she STILL on your friends list then? haha
  • kinkykiddo
    Options
    Drinking enough water (as you obviously know) is important. But calorie counting/watching is not how you lose weight. Diet is an important factor, of course, but if she's not doing much physical activity she probably won't gain weight (she might though, depending) but she certainly won't lose weight. She needs to, in my opinion, incorporate some sort of fitness plan into her lifestyle if she intends on losing weight and not just eating healthier.

All the best to her, whoever she is.
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Disheartened after a week? I'd say go ahead and quit and come back when she means it to be honest.
    One week is barely enough time to kickstart the metabolism. Expecting a dramatic result in such a small time is folly and asking to be disappointed.

When she's ready to set doable goals, then she can give it a shot.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Water is important. She's also only been at this a week, tell her to push through for at least a month. Lastly most people who look/say they are doing what they should, but not losing are usually not being 100% honest with themselves. She may not be logging bites of cookies, or candies throughout the day, or juice etc....she might not be logging honestly because she doesn't want people to think she's failing. Not trying to get all physiological, just saying, its the internet you can only go on the honor system but sometimes that makes giving advice hard.
  • jesz124
    Options
    Drinking enough water (as you obviously know) is important. But calorie counting/watching is not how you lose weight. Diet is an important factor, of course, but if she's not doing much physical activity she probably won't gain weight (she might though, depending) but she certainly won't lose weight. She needs to, in my opinion, incorporate some sort of fitness plan into her lifestyle if she intends on losing weight and not just eating healthier.

Wrong actually. You can lose weight by calorie counting alone. It doesn't matter how you do it, as long as you create a adequate deficit you will lose. Of course exercise will add to that deficit but it's not strictly needed to lose. Theres lots of people on here who lose just through counting with not much activity.
  • EPortJake
    Options

Re the part where you say "calorie counting/watching is not how you lose weight".
    So if you take in less calories than you use (provided the difference isn't a huge margin and your body goes into starvation mode) you don't lose weight? I thought that is exactly how it works. I lost 75% of my weight doing no exercise.
    Jesz beat me to it. Lol.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Wrong actually. You can lose weight by calorie counting alone. It doesn't matter how you do it, as long as you create a adequate deficit you will lose. Of course exercise will add to that deficit but it's not strictly needed to lose. Theres lots of people on here who lose just through counting with not much activity.

^^this is true.

OP: weight loss is not linear - she needs to give it more than a week.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Water is important. She's also only been at this a week, tell her to push through for at least a month. Lastly most people who look/say they are doing what they should, but not losing are usually not being 100% honest with themselves. She may not be logging bites of cookies, or candies throughout the day, or juice etc....she might not be logging honestly because she doesn't want people to think she's failing. Not trying to get all physiological, just saying, its the internet you can only go on the honor system but sometimes that makes giving advice hard.

This is also an important factor and often the reason people do not see a weight loss. They need to be absolutely honest with logging and should be weighing and measuring foods and liquids.
  • kinkykiddo
    Options
    *sighs*

You're gonna be one of those guys that takes one comment, analyzes it, and ignores the rest. Cool.

I highly doubt that if she has no work out regimen, as you said she doesn't, that she is taking in less calories than she's using. If you lost 75% of your weight by not exercising, good for you. Many people can't do that due to genetics or body type or whatever reason. If she wants to complain about not losing weight, obviously something needs to change. And obviously her current diet and no real exercise plan isn't cutting it.
  • EPortJake
    Options
    *sighs*

You're gonna be one of those guys that takes one comment, analyzes it, and ignores the rest. Cool.

I highly doubt that if she has no work out regimen, as you said she doesn't, that she is taking in less calories than she's using. If you lost 75% of your weight by not exercising, good for you. Many people can't do that due to genetics or body type or whatever reason. If she wants to complain about not losing weight, obviously something needs to change. And obviously her current diet and no real exercise plan isn't cutting it.

Her BMR is 1531 calories, so if she stayed in bed all day she would still be taking in less calories than she uses. You say genetics or body type or whatever but I have not heard of these things being a problem (feel free to explain further). I agree she will lose weight faster if she exercises (provided she still maintains a calorie deficit) but at the moment she isn't and wants to know why the calorie deficit , after a week, is not showing on the scales.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I would tell her to give it a month before becoming discouraged
  • YF92
    YF92 Posts: 2,893 Member
    Options
    Tell her not to take the whole thing too serious. It's not good for long term development. She should weigh herself once a week at the same time & state. If she doesn't notice any change then she should examine whats wrong. It could be:

1. She's not putting in the right measurement. Usually I don't worry myself too much about that (I approximate). Writing 3 ounce as 4 ounce or vice versa is fine. However, writing 8 ounce as 4 isn't. Doing so with lots of food can mean she's been overeating.

2. She's not eating enough. Eating more than requirement > Eating less than requirement. At 1400 cal she needs every single calorie, skipping it is bad for her overall health and will lead to the body resisting the weight loss.

3. Not drinking enough water. Seriously, this is the easiest thing to do Just drink water here and there and you should meet the goal. Eat something salty if you want the incentive (Not too salty though, would lead to health problems)

4. She's not exercising. Exercising is only 10% of the work (90% is the diet), but its still a significant 10%.

5. She's weighing at different times/states. Currently I'm @ 245ish lbs and if I measure my weight at 7 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon, I see 2-3 lbs difference, sometimes even more. Best way to get the right measurement is weighing yourself in the morning AFTER going to the toilet BEFORE eating breakfast. (note; if someone eats something bulky the night before weighing themselves, they shouldn't weigh themselves)

5. She is rushing the whole thing. Sometimes change can take up to a month. In my case, I found that its been 2 weeks since I've lost any weight (I was measuring daily; i.e obsessed). 3 days after I noticed that I had dropped 4 lbs (I double checked). Body can play tricks on you like that. A good rule to follow is: If you're not eating at maintenance or more and you find yourself stuck on the same weight, its jedi mind tricks and water weight.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options

lots of people dont log their water intake.. because that is kind of a difficult task.. some people start.. and log the first few.. but geeze, that takes a lot of your day. I suggest you ASK her first if shes logging all of her water. If she says no, or she forgets. Tell her to get a half gallon jug an dfill it. (or get a gallon jug, which works better) fill it with 16 cups of water. remove 8 cups and draw a line and mark the number 8 on it. remove 2 more cups and write 10 on that line. remove 2 more.. write 12... remove 2 more.. write 14.. remove 2 more.. write 16.. when you remove 2 more, the jug will be empty and you will have a gallon of water, and 18 cups drank.

SO, every day, tell her to AT LEAST get her 8 cups in. she drinks NOTHING ELSE until those 8 cups are gone. once those are gone, she can ease up..

but after that.. she gos by two. at THE END of the day, she can look at her jug & log her water all at once.. which is helpful instead of getting on to log every single glass, which is a pain in the *kitten*.

Also, dont be so quick to judge. sometimes, lives get in the way.... its part of life and part of what we have to deal with, if we are going to take what we learn here, into "real life" and learn to make choices, when we CANT be here, with a computer to constantly check!! LIFE HAPPENS.. and she wont always have you or MFP to run to..

If you are *truly concerned in her health* and not in her as a "im crushin on this chick* then you need to confront her and not throw all her problems out there for the world.. look stuff up, give her some links and straight out ASK HER. because at this point, you are "assuming" and trust me dude, you dont wanna assume with a woman!

Good luck..
  • Heather_Rider
    Options

Her activity level is lightly active, no exercise regime yet.

chances are, she put in "lightly active" and is fooling herself... if she has any type of work that isnt standing on her feet ALL DAY and moving all day, she considered Sed. lifestyle.. and if she isnt weighing and measuring foods (as i saw in other posts) then she has NO CLUE how many calories shes *truly* eating.

some have said .. it needs a month before she sees weight loss, and i disagree with that, if AYTHING she should see water weight loss at first.. but if shes seeing nothing, and shes not drinking water, not measuring food, not working out, not weighing food.. then she ISNT DIETING.. shes doing the same thing as she was before and fooling everyone else.

I wouldnt be surprised if shes gaining because she things she can eat more since shes "regulated" now.. ive seen that happen.

*smh*
  • Heather_Rider
    Options
    BY THE WAY...............

You have THREE friends on your friends list...... two are male.. that leaves ONE you are talking about.. she is eating 600 caloreis PER DAY

sooooooooooo THAT could be why she isnt losing weight........

so she isnt eating.

TELL HER TO FLIPPING EAT & SHE MIGHT LOSE WEIGHT!!

geeze.. *smh*