Scheduled 'cheat / treat' days - what are your rules?

Options
So I have come to the realisation that Saturdays are my "treat" day - but this is with a caveat.

Saturdays seem to be the day when I allow myself to make 'the less healthy of the healthy options' choice. Convoluted, I know. Basically, as long as I'm staying within my MFP allowances, and whatever I'm eating has *some* discernible nutritional value (ie. not a block of chocolate etc), then it's cool. If that means low-cal pikelets for breakfast and a wrap and salad from McDonald's for lunch, then I'm going with it.
So far, I think it's working for me... but I'm wondering if knowing I have a day where I can deviate from my usual healthy choices is going to basically induce 'treats' when I don't even want them? Is scheduling a day worth it or am I fooling myself?

Would love to know if anyone else does this and if it's worked / failed miserably... and also what your 'rules' are. Is it better to be as healthy as possible all the time and just 'cheat / treat' in the moments when you really really want it?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    My rule is that until I am below 12% BF, my body can't properly utilize overfeeds, so there's no reason to do it.
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    That's probably a good rule but I should point out - I'm not over-feeding, I'm not eating more calories than I should. I'm simply choosing slightly more 'treatish' options than militantly-nutrition-only stuff...
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Once i lose 2 more kgs, mine will b to go out to a restaurant with friends max once a week. Im pretty flexible with my diet as i eat at other peoples houses a lot, but food is generally healthy. I just offer to bring dessert if i plan to eat dessert...fruit salad always goes down well. Just cant eat chocolate coz ill eat too much
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    That's probably a good rule but I should point out - I'm not over-feeding, I'm not eating more calories than I should. I'm simply choosing slightly more 'treatish' options than militantly-nutrition-only stuff...

Ohhh, I see. My apologies. I generally equate 'cheat' with 'overfeed' as they are often used interchangeably in the lifting world. That said, your definition of cheat is definitely what I think the average person would think when they hear the word...or worst case, they think of both of our definitions rolled into one, and just wreck themselves for a day. Blech.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have one once a week. Just a cheat meal really not the whole day because for me that can get out of hand quickly. It was actually today. I had 3 slices of pizza and some buffalo wings. It was delicious.
  • thatjulesgirl
    Options

Ohhh, I see. My apologies. I generally equate 'cheat' with 'overfeed' as they are often used interchangeably in the lifting world. That said, your definition of cheat is definitely what I think the average person would think when they hear the word...or worst case, they think of both of our definitions rolled into one, and just wreck themselves for a day. Blech.

Yeah definitely. It's more like - last night I really wanted pasta, which was fine, I needed the calories and carbs for the day, but I had wholemeal pasta and a very small serve. On a saturday, I'd probably have the same amount, but have white pasta, because I find it slightly tastier.

I definitely don't allow myself to over-eat (especially on purpose), ever! ESPECIALLY if I'm eating less healthy foods.
  • FierceV_Phat
    FierceV_Phat Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a splurge day (Saturday) since I started my journey.....It use to be an all day thing but now it's a meal and maybe the first three times I went over my allowance at that time I wasn't on mfp.....and my splurge day was a day I still workout hard but I wasn't counting nothing....Then I realized that I had to have some control over what I was doing so I came down to a meal and started counting calories and made sure I ate in moderation.....I'm always under but the foods I choos are not the healthy ones....and I may even throw a soda or sweets in there sometimes.....I'm almost sure if I didn't have thus splurge day I would be farther along......and I am also sure that if I didn't have this day where I could have some of the things I wanted I would've had binge days......and I'm so proud to say that it has been a year and I haven't binged yet! And I also have lost 100 lbs and I've had this splurge day from the beginning! So yes it can work!
  • thatjulesgirl
    Options
    I'm almost sure if I didn't have thus splurge day I would be farther along......and I am also sure that if I didn't have this day where I could have some of the things I wanted I would've had binge days......and I'm so proud to say that it has been a year and I haven't binged yet! And I also have lost 100 lbs and I've had this splurge day from the beginning! So yes it can work!

Awesome! That's what I keep thinking... if I didn't have an "it's ok" day, I'd just indiscriminately binge which is a lot worse than controlled treating! Good to know it's working for you and congrats on your weight loss!!
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    Options
    I have over-eating days when it is a friend/family member's birthday or if I am going out with friends (only happens like once every 1-2months)
    Apart from that I sometimes eat bad options occasionally just to keep me sane. I think it helps keep you on the band wagon if you know you arent cutting things out completely.
    But for example I'll eat just 4 squares of chocolate after dinner instead of a king sized bar. or ill eat 3 pieces of pizza instead of the entire thing. And today I went to the movies so I took rice crackers with me. Low calorie but must be very processed - they taste too good not to be! So I ate them instead of popcorn. The lesser of two evils =D
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    no names, always use protection and never say I Love You.

Your treat day sounds fine. its much better to give yourself something like that which is controlled and healthy then feel like your diet is too stringent. as long as your not eating your goal of cookie dough it sounds like a great way to make your diet work for you. being happy as well as healthy is where I'm at.

:)
  • thatjulesgirl
    Options
    as long as your not eating your goal of cookie dough

Hahahaha. I wish... Well, not really.. but if there's ever a magical all-foods-are-calorie-free day, you know what I'll be having! :P
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If you eat your treat food within your calories that is fine, as long as your diet is balanced, everything in moderation. if you have trigger foods that may cause you to over eat them and that is your concern, then probably best to avoid them.

After all if you 'cheat' you are only cheating yourself and it is the start of the slippery slope to making one 'cheat' day into two and so on. it really depends on your will power.

I find the things we call 'treats' are usually higher in calories and less mutionally good, meaning that you get less for more calories, often meaning you feel hungry and likely to need/ want to overeat to satisfy your hunger
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    My rule is: earn it. If I want to eat more cals, I need to burn more cals simple as that :) otherwise if it hits my macros and cal goal it's fine.
  • FierceV_Phat
    Options
    I'm almost sure if I didn't have thus splurge day I would be farther along......and I am also sure that if I didn't have this day where I could have some of the things I wanted I would've had binge days......and I'm so proud to say that it has been a year and I haven't binged yet! And I also have lost 100 lbs and I've had this splurge day from the beginning! So yes it can work!

Awesome! That's what I keep thinking... if I didn't have an "it's ok" day, I'd just indiscriminately binge which is a lot worse than controlled treating! Good to know it's working for you and congrats on your weight loss!!
    Thank you! It helps to know you got that day coming......I can want something different everyday of the week and tell myself I'll have that on Saturday and by the time Saturday gets here it will be done changed several times but my way of thinking kept me from binging that week!
  • FierceV_Phat
    Options
    My rule is: earn it. If I want to eat more cals, I need to burn more cals simple as that :) otherwise if it hits my macros and cal goal it's fine.
    This is another thing of mine....I go real hard working out on the day that I'm splurging which may have a lot to do with my success!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I think they are important for sanity's sake. I never go over my planned calorie intake and I always hit my macros but at weekends I don't worry about how I do that. I eat fruits and veggies and a good mix of whole foods, fats and all that good stuff during the week. At weekends I relax the micro's and basically not worry about getting my fruits and veggies in for example (and I tend to have to supplement up my protein macros with protein powder more) . I find it very helpful for adherence in the long run. Sometimes relaxing the reigns a little is far more beneficial in the long run as it means you will stick to the plan for longer and it makes it less of a chore.
  • celiason81
    celiason81 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I typically have cheat day approx once a week ( I LOVE my cheeseburgers!) However, instead of staying within my calorie allowance, I'm finding it actually does my body good to go over by 500-1000 cal every 1-2weeks. I recently hit a plateau, but looking at my diary, I realized for those 3 weeks I had done really well and stayed pretty well within my daily allowance. Once I introduced my "cheat" day again, I started losing. Works for me!
  • bonifachi
    bonifachi Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat evening every so often - usually once a week or so. When I was using MFP hard out last year I did this, and I worked around the idea that if I am still under my calories for the week then it is no big deal. If I don't give myself a break every so often I get obsessive and get emotional. So, why not just have a night off, and the next day get on with it! A "cheat day" should BE a cheat day, not still denying yourself of your treat food you love. This IS for life, remember! If I couldn't eat chocolate again I would probably die!
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm trying to put on mass I'm going IIFYM all the way and have been eating cake, chocolate, icecream etc when I've had the urge to do so, and could fit it into my macro targets.

When I'm trying to lose fat/weight I'm generally pretty strict and went almost 4 months without a cheat meal or snack when I started out which led to a weekend of awesome binging. My plan is just to stick to my guns and when the cravings come for something a bit naughty, I go and satisfy that craving which normally sorts me out for at least a few weeks :)
  • thatjulesgirl
    Options
    Wow lots of different takes on this but I think the overriding thing is: find what actually *works* (doesn't disrupt weight loss) for you and doesn't make you emotional / guilty.

You're all so clever! And no, that's not remotely sarcastic. Have been sweating this and telling myself off for ages but you're right: it's about adherence and long-term goals. Thanks people!!