What thigh-toning exercises don't affect bad knees?

Options
My friend wants to do some leg toning exercises, but both her knees are bad so she can't do squats or lunges.

Are there any other good leg toning exercises that can be done without affecting the knees?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Static leg raises. Sit down, straight leg (pull toes up and lock knee), raise and hold for a few seconds.

Can your friend cycle? It's excellent leg toning and a CV workout.
  • Sarah0393
    Sarah0393 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do you go to the gym or exercise at home? If you're at the gym look for hip abduction and hip adduction machines in the weights section. They work by placing the pads on either the inside or outside of your knees (depending which machine you're on) then you squeeze your legs inwards and outwards.

If you're working from home I'm sure you can get a piece of equipment that you squeeze between your legs, but I can't remember that it's called!!
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I need a knee replacement and CAN do weighted squats and lunges. They were hard and painful at first (9 months ago) but after a few weeks got easier as I got stronger. I used to say I CAN'T DO THAT - but with supervision by my trainer I CAN DO THAT! and much more! I surprise myself and my trainer sometimes so if your friend can get some good advice on proper form I say she should at least try for a while before saying she can't do it.

Stronger legs = stronger knees in my experience. I still need a replacement but don't need a wheelchair which 9 months ago I thought I would.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    swimming very effect for anyone with joint problems water takes the weight and adds resistance!
    My friend wants to do some leg toning exercises, but both her knees are bad so she can't do squats or lunges.

Are there any other good leg toning exercises that can be done without affecting the knees?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on the reason for her "bad knees" , surprisingly knee pain is frequently a manifestation of poor hip / glute strength (this is not meant to replace any medical advice she may have been given if the problem has actually been diagnosed) and can be mitigated by strengthening hips & glutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTJPb4-YOmc