Anyone running the Chicago Hot Chocolate 5K/15K?

Options
Hey guys,

I'm really excited! On November 4th I'm running in the Chicago Hot Chocolate 5K while my sister runs the 15K! Woo! I just wanted to see if anyone else on here is running and how your training is coming. I've been doing the C25K workout program and I'm up to 28 minutes of consistent running. This is really big for me. I have been able to run since I have about 12 (foot problems that have scared me, and just the general dislike of running). ;-) I saw a promotional video for the 5K this morning and I started to get excited and emotional at the prospect of doing this race. So...who's doing this with me? Would love to meet some fellow runners (or non-runners pretending to be runners for this race). ;-)

-Allison

Replies

• allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • michelle0989
    michelle0989 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm running the hot chocolate 5K and also using couch25K to help me train! I'm only on week 3 so I probably won't be fully prepared by November 4th but at least I'll be able to run most of it :) are you on week 7? how long have you been doing it? did you have to repeat weeks? did you ever run consecutive days? what was the hardest week for you? sorry i have so many questions! :)
  • allisonrozsa
    Options
    Hey, I started running towards the middle/end of August. I wasn't exactly true to the C25K program because I didn't have a touch mp3 player, so when I forgot what it was, I embellished. I did repeat some weeks a little, but in the early days, I would sometimes double the number of repetitions (like the 3 minute walk/3 minute run thing). I'm on week 8 now (I think). I think the hardest time was right in the beginning. When I hadn't done ANY running in years, and suddenly I started...ugh. I couldn't breath, I felt like I just wanted to DIE! Now, it's about going farther than my mind says I can. It's all about will power now. How long have you been on MFP? What are your goals? Welcome to the club. :-)
  • michelle0989
    michelle0989 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Aw thank you! I have had the MFP app for about 4 weeks now, but just ventured onto the actual website today after browsing message boards. It seems like such a good site for support, motivation, and advice. Congrats on your progress, that's really something to be proud of. I'm jealous; I wish I had started training earlier! I had plans to start in August, but I kept putting it off and now I really regret it! Have you ever done a 5K or will HC be your first?! I can definitely relate; I am currently doing the 3 min walk/3 min run and I have to repeat!
  • Puggy33
    Puggy33 Posts: 300
    Options
    I wanted to do the color run recently but I keep talking myself out of it because i'm not sure how well i'd hold up in a 5k. Maybe i'll look into this one and give it a whirl.
  • Puggy33
    Puggy33 Posts: 300
    Options
    5k is full, guess I wont be doing it lol
  • allisonrozsa
    Options
    Sorry Puggy that you got locked out. A week after I registered I got an email that it was full. Barely made it. You should definitely do a 5K. Start training slowly, but if I can do it, anyone can. msokolowski4, this is my first time running since I was about 12. My mom had us do a 10K every year, but when my feet grew to normal size, I ended up with some issues that just kept me from trying since. I'm SO excited though! I hate running, but I love that I CAN run. :-)
  • kbubbles87
    kbubbles87 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The most i've ran in my life was 2 miles back in highschool. But Im running the Hot Chocolate 5K! Im in week 6 of the c25k program also didnt follow it precisely. I just did a trial run 2 days ago and was able to run the full 5k in about 37 minutes so Ill be behind you but ill be there! LOL
  • allisonrozsa
    Options
    Great job! I'm getting really excited! Didn't run for 7 days because of rain & weekend exhaustion, and when I ran yesterday, it was PAINFUL! One day rest & back at it on Friday.
  • soxrule
    Options
    I have ran this race in the past and it is a fun race. I've had leg problems & some other health issues I'm getting over now. I think I want to start the running again from scratch. Do you think the couch to 5k would be a good program to do??
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    No, but it looked so fun! Maybe next year :-)
  • allisonrozsa
    Options
    I have ran this race in the past and it is a fun race. I've had leg problems & some other health issues I'm getting over now. I think I want to start the running again from scratch. Do you think the couch to 5k would be a good program to do??

I did the C25K (slightly modified to fit me personally), but it was very helpful to have guidance. Good luck.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    So, how did everyone do? It was a cold start! I finished 33:51