Plateau

Options
I have hit the dreaded plateau. I have been the same weight for a while now. I'm eating healthy and exercising regularly. I do cardio three days a week and strength training 3 days a week. I try to stick to my 1200 calories per day, but sometimes Im a little under that.
Any tips for me? I'm starting to lose hope!

Replies

• Amanda0926
    Amanda0926 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    By strength training I mean that I do P90x arms and shoulders or back and legs or core synergistics. All of the include using dumbbells. I usually use two 5lbs weights. Some days I will do Jillian Michaels ripped in 30.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I seem to be where you are at, and probably a lot of other people as well. Since we both have so little to lose, relatively speaking, it will be harder to actually lose weight, I believe. I think that continuing to exercise is good, and weighing oneself only once a week is good as well. You may want to up your calories on some days and drop them on others. Cycle them, so to speak. I've just started doing that, and while the scale hasn't done anything, my body is toning up faster...
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Stop exercising and just count calories for up to 7 days until the scale moves if that is what you need. Also it is a good idea to do measurements too. When you work out you are gaining heavy muscle and losing fat so the scale may not budge even though you are losing fatty inches. When your body is repairing all the tissues you weigh more too.
  • Amanda0926
    Options
    Thank you!. I will do measurements today. I feel like if I stop exercising I will have a really hard time getting myself to start again.
    What about maybe cutting down to like 4 times per week?
    Stop exercising and just count calories for up to 7 days until the scale moves if that is what you need. Also it is a good idea to do measurements too. When you work out you are gaining heavy muscle and losing fat so the scale may not budge even though you are losing fatty inches. When your body is repairing all the tissues you weigh more too.
  • Amanda0926
    Options
    What do you mean by cycle them?

Hmm. I seem to be where you are at, and probably a lot of other people as well. Since we both have so little to lose, relatively speaking, it will be harder to actually lose weight, I believe. I think that continuing to exercise is good, and weighing oneself only once a week is good as well. You may want to up your calories on some days and drop them on others. Cycle them, so to speak. I've just started doing that, and while the scale hasn't done anything, my body is toning up faster...
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    You probably need to up your calories a little. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but it has worked for a number of people. You are working out a lot, and you are probably not eating enough.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Throughout the week, don't maintain the steady 1200 every day. Have three light days, a heavier day, a medium day, and another two lighter days and repeat for a while...but I don't know exactly if this works. I only just started. I read that it helps to switch up your metabolism and get it going again. My metabolism slowing down is one of the main reasons I think I'm plateauing. Maybe you as well...
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Eat more! With all the exercise you are doing you should be eating more than 1200 calories. Check out the "Eat more to weigh less" thread here on the site.
  • Amanda0926
    Options
    That makes me kind of nervous. lol. But, I'll try it!

You probably need to up your calories a little. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but it has worked for a number of people. You are working out a lot, and you are probably not eating enough.
  • Amanda0926
    Options
    Ok. I get it. I'll try that!

Throughout the week, don't maintain the steady 1200 every day. Have three light days, a heavier day, a medium day, and another two lighter days and repeat for a while...but I don't know exactly if this works. I only just started. I read that it helps to switch up your metabolism and get it going again. My metabolism slowing down is one of the main reasons I think I'm plateauing. Maybe you as well...
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Calorie cycling is knowing what you are netting per week and then cycling them throughout that week so you are still at your goal, just different amounts on differnt days. This confuses your metabolism and gives you a bit of a kick start.

1200 cals and working out like you are is in no way enough fuel for your body. It's hard to wrap your head around, but you need to eat more. Try more protein and good fats. You will be surprised how fast the scale moves within 2 weeks!
    Good luck!
  • kayre2
    kayre2 Posts: 5
    Options
    Toned muscle weighs way more than fat!! Definitely start taking measurements and hide the scales in the closet! Your metabolism sounds like it might need a little boost, so increase your calories a little by adding a few more healthy foods. Nuts are great for this. I love pistachios! Also, change your workout routine. Maybe try a dance class or two instead of the gym? Or head to the local pool for a swim. Changing up your routine gives your body something it's not used to to work through which means it has to work harder, and group classes can be so much fun, they don't feel like a workout while you're doing them. Let us know how you are getting on in a few weeks.
  • Amanda0926
    Options
    Im going to try getting to more classes! Its a little hard with my kids, but I'm sure that if I take them swimming in the kids pool after my class they will be happy!

Toned muscle weighs way more than fat!! Definitely start taking measurements and hide the scales in the closet! Your metabolism sounds like it might need a little boost, so increase your calories a little by adding a few more healthy foods. Nuts are great for this. I love pistachios! Also, change your workout routine. Maybe try a dance class or two instead of the gym? Or head to the local pool for a swim. Changing up your routine gives your body something it's not used to to work through which means it has to work harder, and group classes can be so much fun, they don't feel like a workout while you're doing them. Let us know how you are getting on in a few weeks.
  • Amanda0926
    Options
  • Amanda0926
    Options
    How many calories am I supposed to eat?

Calorie cycling is knowing what you are netting per week and then cycling them throughout that week so you are still at your goal, just different amounts on differnt days. This confuses your metabolism and gives you a bit of a kick start.

1200 cals and working out like you are is in no way enough fuel for your body. It's hard to wrap your head around, but you need to eat more. Try more protein and good fats. You will be surprised how fast the scale moves within 2 weeks!
    Good luck!
  • rachaelfisher1
    Options
    Same thing happened to me, i used to consume 1200 per day for a few months, then i reached my plateau. I started on keto, upped my calories and decreased carbs and my weight started to drop again.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    That makes me kind of nervous. lol. But, I'll try it!

There is more info about why eating between your BMR and TDEE is helpful in the group section, too.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm
  • Lotusstarr
    Lotusstarr Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Bump... Thanks for the topic!
  • lydt5880
    lydt5880 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Yes try this! I hit a 2month plateau and upped my cals by 300 a day which seemed really odd and it is working slowly but surely. For the first couple of weeks i gained weight which you have to be prepared for and then it just started dropping off. Give it a go.