How does one gain 3 lbs overnight?

Options
I don't get it! Maybe it's because I ate back a majority of my exercise calories? Maybe it's because I had a snack size McFlurry last night?! Or maybe my muscles are retaining water to repair themselves because I ran four days last week instead of only three? I'm trying to be logical here, but it's hard to be logical when you feel like your body is betraying you and getting fat despite your progress with diet and exercise....

Replies

• wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Don't panic...its probably just water. Check your sodium over last day or two. Drink lots of water, it will get better.

Its frustrating but don't worry. Hang in there
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Don't panic...its probably just water. Check your sodium over last day or two. Drink lots of water, it will get better.

Its frustrating but don't worry. Hang in there

I just checked the sodium yesterday and EW! I didn't think it was as much as 2000! Holy crap! Well, today I was going to try to eat 500 cals because I want to try the 5 2 fasting thing......I might do that then just to change it up, as well as drink a LOT of water.
  • martintanz
    Options
    Don't go crazy. No need to do the latest diet fad. I have seen it happen where people who didn't have a weight problem developed one with erratic eating habits. Just watch the salt, drink lots of water, and eat clean for a couple of days, or weeks.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I don't get it! Maybe it's because I ate back a majority of my exercise calories? Maybe it's because I had a snack size McFlurry last night?! Or maybe my muscles are retaining water to repair themselves because I ran four days last week instead of only three? I'm trying to be logical here, but it's hard to be logical when you feel like your body is betraying you and getting fat despite your progress with diet and exercise....

Either water weight or lots of booze. Don't worry it should fall off during the week.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    do what I do - BLAME THE SCALES!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    3 lbs of fat would requires 10500 calories ABOVE TDEE and your body's max capacity to transport that to cells. Try drinking more water to reduce the salt retention.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options

Either water weight or lots of booze. Don't worry it should fall off during the week.

It's not alcohol, I can tell you that. I rarely drink these days, which I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing....
  • ladymiseryali
    Options

I think that's what I'm going to do. I mean, the scale I have is a couple of years old. I think I may need a new one....or one not from a thrift shop.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I just did last night - reason, high sodium the last 2 days along with low water. By reversing the trend today it should be gone by Monday.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    3 lbs of fat would requires 10500 calories ABOVE TDEE and your body's max capacity to transport that to cells. Try drinking more water to reduce the salt retention.

I count things in calories like this guy. I doubt you ate 10500 extra calories over night. :flowerforyou:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It's not fat so 500 calories won't help. Drink water to flush out the sodium and get your body back in order. And maybe a bit of fiber?
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    yes it is frustrating why our bodies do this and you may not ever know the answer why you gain at that specific time... i have put on 2.4 lbs this week and it's day 6 and still not off?
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    One does NOT gain 3 pounds of FAT overnight. water weight lady
  • TrashyAbercrombie
    TrashyAbercrombie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem too and I've narrowed it down to either I had something REALLY salty the day before and it's just sodium overload, or I didn't drink enough water, or it's my muscles recovering. I always seem to go up 2 and a half pounds the morning after I do 30 day shred or work out a lot.

I just drink tons of water and stay away from anything too salty for the next few days. I usually drink like 8 or more 20 oz. bottles of water throughout the day and that seems to work for me.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Its easy to gain weight rapidly.. especially if you ate super salty stuff, or if its yer uhm.. bloat week if you will .. just pay attention to how much water youre drinking for the next cpl days, eat your usual calorie limitation, and relax. Weight flux's all over the place sometimes, just to test our endurance in our commitment. Salt usually takes me 5 days to get out of my system, it loves me more than I love it :( Good luck and patience :)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

I think that's what I'm going to do. I mean, the scale I have is a couple of years old. I think I may need a new one....or one not from a thrift shop.

Or save yourself some money and just not bother with scales.

Think about it, no scales, no weight, no meaningless overnight water/poop/whatever variations to obsess about.

No being defined by a number.

No BMI.

Just you, how your clothes fit and how you feel.

Crazy talk, I know.
  • hughtwalker
    Options

Nah! Let 'em live. They probably didn't mean it and will have repented by tomorrow.

Are they on a solid floor or carpet ? - the other thing I do is kick them around until I find a bit of floor I like. When I bought new scales in August I put on 2 kilos - it was heartbreaking, but my wife said they were correct (and after 36 years I KNOW when not to argue - i.e. any day with a 'Y' in it)

Anyway, as a mere male I don't have the excuses you do for fluid retention
  • ladymiseryali
    Options
    I have this same problem too and I've narrowed it down to either I had something REALLY salty the day before and it's just sodium overload, or I didn't drink enough water, or it's my muscles recovering. I always seem to go up 2 and a half pounds the morning after I do 30 day shred or work out a lot.

I just drink tons of water and stay away from anything too salty for the next few days. I usually drink like 8 or more 20 oz. bottles of water throughout the day and that seems to work for me.

I think I may try that. Drink as much water as I can and try to keep the sodium down. I know it's logically impossible to gain that much overnight, but it's frustrating to see the numbers moving up rather than down.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options

Nah! Let 'em live. They probably didn't mean it and will have repented by tomorrow.

Are they on a solid floor or carpet ? - the other thing I do is kick them around until I find a bit of floor I like. When I bought new scales in August I put on 2 kilos - it was heartbreaking, but my wife said they were correct (and after 36 years I KNOW when not to argue - i.e. any day with a 'Y' in it)

Anyway, as a mere male I don't have the excuses you do for fluid retention

I weight in on a non-carpet surface with a digital scale. I hope the battery isn't going again. I guess I shall see in a few days.
  • hughtwalker
    Options
    relax - I know someone with polycystic ovary syndrome - (she gave up on MFP when so many of the more charming specimens who post in here kept telling her that PCOS does not cause weight gain, just makes it more difficult to lose - like there's a difference [strewth!]) - anyway, she was getting anguished and giving me serious telephonic earache because she'd only lost a kilo in over a month - then she rang to say she'd given up on the scales because her clothes were so baggy that she measured herself and found she's lost 6 inches.

there is often light at the end of the tunnel, and sometimes it even isn't an oncoming train

trust me - I 'm a serial weight loser - I've done it hundreds of times (but this time either this is it or, at my age,THIS IS IT!)

Best wishes