Anyone on a gluten free diet?

Options
So heres my story...as short as can be.

For years ive been suffering with fatigue, tiredness (like zonked out tiredness) body aches and lots of gas, bloating, cramps. In and out of my doctors..even went to see another dr. Test after test and they tell me the same thing. Im just depresed, throw drugs at me, none of which help any and thats that. Im loosing my mind with this extreme tiredness and fatigue, general overall weakness etc...Some days are better than others (which if I have celiac or gluten intolerance would i feel bad all the time? or can you feel better on some days and worse on others?)

Well, I figure if my doctor cant/wont find something wrong with me and is just trying to tell me im depressed im going to find something wrong myself! I know my body...im not depressed, well not JUST depressed anyway...of course my symptoms make me depressed! Buts not soley depression...I dont have a thing to be depressed about. Im happily married, finally got my long awaited baby after 3 miscarriges (which i read celiacs can cause infertility too?) We arent rich but we make it by and I get to stay home with my little girl.

SO...I figure I have nothing to lose by cutting out gluten and seeing if I feel better! I might actually even lose more weight that way! Heck most gluten free stuff is healthy stuff. Fresh fruits veggies, unprocessed meats cheeses etc...So a few questions...

What do you eat for meals? It seems the only thing I can have for breakfast is eggs which ill get tired of quickly! I need some meal ideas. Like this AM I made scrambled eggs, and whites with spinach, mushroom and swiss. Im gonna miss my bread! And oatmeal!

How long of being on a gluten free diet before I notice a difference?

I do know pills can contain gluten...so ive already checked my pills, and it seems my multi vitamin COULD contain it so ill have to get one that doesnt...any brand you recommend? Ive also read about "hidden" gluten in products and products say they can claim gluten free even if they contain a tiny bit of gluten. So what ingredients are a red flag for gluten?

Any other tips, insight, expertise...please let me know! Thanks so much!!!!

Replies

• mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It can take anywhere from days to weeks to notice a difference.

You sound a LOT like I did before I went gluten free. And you're right, the stuff that is naturally gluten free is what you want to stick to. Processed GF goodies are full of starches and not a lot of 'good for you' stuff.

Before I went GF about 3 years ago, I was miserable. I would fall asleep standing up! I had migraines, arthritis or fibro (doc hadn't looked into it entirely yet, but at one point told me he thought I had rheumatoid arthritis, but the test came back neg). I was constantly nauseaus (so bad I thought I was pregnant again). There was tons more, but you get the gist. All my tests would come back negative. The stomaches were the worst, and I was told I just had irritable bowel.

Check out the gluten free board here too.

Yep, pills can contain gluten. I just read the labels. You can google the gluten names, there's a TON of them. I did that, printed the list, and kept it in my purse for awhile. I did the same with fast food restaurant gluten free menus for when we had to eat out (tho I recommend not eating out until you've been at the diet for awhile).

And Celiacs can cause fertility issues as well. And depression, anxiety, and a general feeling of 'spaciness'.

For breakfast I variate between eggs, yogurt, fresh fruits, and sometimes I make homemade pancakes/muffins/waffles. I'm trying to reduce my starches/carbs so I'm not making so much homemade stuff though. But, of course if you can get coconut and almond flours and things like that, those are better (I'm stuck with rice and potato flours right now, I just can't afford the higher end stuff!).

Good luck, I hope it works for you!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I think you are both brave and smart to try a gluten free diet. And I do hope it brings you relief from your symptoms very soon!

For me, oatmeal hasn't caused an issue. I believe I have gluten sensitivity but not celiac's disease. However, there is a gluten free oatmeal available. Also, there are many gluten free baking mixes and pancake mixes out there too. You could also eat yogurt, fruit, and some gluten free bagels or breads. I usually stick with oatmeal or the odd omelet here and there.

Leftovers from dinner make great lunches. Sometimes will I will eat a sandwich with gluten free bread or have some homemade soup. You can buy some great gluten free broths to add to soups.

Dinner is probably the easiest meal for me. There are many gluten free pastas out there and you really can't go wrong with a protein and fresh veggies, fruit, etc.

When going out to eat, I generally stick with salads or ask the meat to be prepared without any seasonings. However, I have found a few restaurants who offer "gluten free friendly" menus. Here's what I've found-
    *Heidi's Brooklyn Deli offers the option of gluten free bread for any sandwich.
    *Jason's Deli has the same option for sandwiches
    *Pei Wei has a separate gluten free men that you have to ask for.
    PF Changs have a gluten free section on their menu which is quite extensive.

Many times, you just have to ask for a gluten free option. Some restaurants are more knowable than others so be cautious!
    Good luck! You can add me as a friend if you'd like too!:flowerforyou:
  • AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    ME ME ME!!!

I originally went on it as I have a severe case of treatment resistant psoriasis. Ive been gluten free for about 2 months (with a few mess ups!) Here's what it has done for me: psorasis is clearing and quickly, depressive bipolar symptoms have eased, and the best thing about it for me is my arthritic hips are in less pain!!! And there is a direct gluten link. The few times I have messed up and had gluten, the next day my hips are in agony. Ugh!

Has it helped with weight loss? Maybe a little but that is only probably because I tend to stick closer to nature now. When I HAVE TO HAVE a sandwich I use gluten free bread, but I try to use it sparingly.

Good luck to you. The best advice is to learn to read labels. "Gluten" has many many names.
  • PibblesRun
    PibblesRun Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    ME ME ME!!!

I originally went on it as I have a severe case of treatment resistant psoriasis. Ive been gluten free for about 2 months (with a few mess ups!) Here's what it has done for me: psorasis is clearing and quickly, depressive bipolar symptoms have eased, and the best thing about it for me is my arthritic hips are in less pain!!! And there is a direct gluten link. The few times I have messed up and had gluten, the next day my hips are in agony. Ugh!

Has it helped with weight loss? Maybe a little but that is only probably because I tend to stick closer to nature now. When I HAVE TO HAVE a sandwich I use gluten free bread, but I try to use it sparingly.

Good luck to you. The best advice is to learn to read labels. "Gluten" has many many names.

OMG am I reading your tracker right...183 lbs lost??? Thats AMAZING!!!!! Im in awe of you. fantastic job! Thanks for the help! I definitely hope this is where my problem lies!
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are a few others here that are gluten free including myself. And yes you can absolutely have have good and bad days. How long you will take to feel better once cutting it out, varies from person to person. My suggestion is to give it at least 30 days. You might still be able have oatmeal if you are careful about brands and cross contamination. I think Bob's Red Mill is one that does a good job of no cross contamination. However, I'd wait to add it back in later as a trial after the 30 days.

Hidden sources of gluten are typically listed as starch, thickening agent, etc. and be careful of "spices" in blends. It's easier if you focus on fresh meat, vegetables and fruit rather than what you can't have. We do eat a lot of eggs for breakfast, but also have things like stir fry, sweet potatoes, and even the occasional salad. I figure that I used to eat breakfast for dinner, so now I eat dinner for breakfast.

Also, check out the recipe sections in Robb Wolf's site or MarksDailyApple. They will be completely grain free and most in Robb's are also dairy free. There are some amazing cooks that post in both.
  • PibblesRun
    Options
    Thanks alot moogleysmom...I didnt know there was a gluten free board! I will definatly check it out.
  • PibblesRun
    Options
    I guess if I eat a healthy balanced diet of fruits veggies and meat I really wouldnt "need" a multi vitamin would i? although my diary always says I never get enough potassium or iron in my actual food...but since ive been takinga multi I never worried about it.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My husband and granddaughter are both celiac but there are lots of things it eat that don't contain gluten. You have to do a lot of cooking from scratch because wheat is used in a lot of canned and processed foods as a thickener. There are more and more gluten free products available in grocery stores but be careful because a lot of them are more loaded with calories than wheat based products.

My hubby has been eating rice pastas but we recently tried corn pasta and I think it tastes and has a much better consistency than the rice. Fruits and veggies, eggs, unprocessed meats, potatoes, rice, quinoa, oatmeal if it's labeled gluten free (usually gluten in oats is from contamination not the oats themself), dairy products, are naturally gluten free. Chex cereals has some gluten free kinds now that my granddaughter loves!

Once you get used to reading labels you can pick out the good foods quickly and if you are only gluten sensitive and not diagnosed celiac a tiny bit here and there won't be a huge issue.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I eat gluten free. It is wonderful. My tummy loves me for it. Although I was diagnosed with the dredded CD. Oh well, life goes on.

You will find that if you do have real gluten problems, in a couple of weeks you will feel better. It took them 32 years to find out I have CD, so does my brother and my dad. There is a gf group on here, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/129-gluten-free
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Here is some more info that might help you:

A couple of websites for you that will help you.

Celiaccess.com (also has an app with a bar code scanner, scan the barcode and it will give you a green check for gluten free, a red check if it is not gluten free, and an orange check if it isn't sure if it is gluten free.)

glutenfreechecklist.com (gives you a new recipe everyday, and gives you an option for a restaurant if you don't feel like cooking)

http://glutenintoleranceschool.com/ (this one will change your view on how much you love gluten filled foods. You can also sign up for a free newsletter. Sarah sends one out about every month or so with information about gluten and this and that and she always adds a recipe at the end. I've tried some of them, and I have to say, they are good.)

http://www.celiac.org/ (this is my go to website)

http://www.celiac.com/ (this is my second go to website)

Good luck!
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I was severely depressed with all kinds of GI tract issues, paranoid, hair falling out, so freaking tired... after my second colonscopy a nurse told me to look into Celiacs Disease. So I did. I gave up gluten for a week. I felt amazing. 2 years later, I avoid it like the plague. It is super easy to be gluten free and I have never been happier. I no longer have skin issues, no more IBS, no more severe GI tract issues, no more anxiety, no more migraines, NO MORE DEPRESSION! I bounce off the walls! I am so happy and positive all the time. It can take up to a month to see the difference and gluten is everywhere. Just stick to lean meats, veggies and fruits and you are fine. Stay away from processed foods.

However, gluten isn't the only possibility. Soy and dairy can do the same. FYI
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Quinoa pasta and Bob's Red Mill products have helped me get through the initial shock of going gluten-free (I'm about 6-7 weeks in). I can tell you that, for someone who felt they had a good memory prior to going gluten-free... my memory and general clear-headedness has at least doubled since making the switch! I don't have the joint pain that I used to (though I think that's at least partially related to my increased exercise and weight loss), and just generally feel better.

I'm not Celiac, so I personally don't stress about cross-contamination at this point, but I'm sure once I get a bit more set in my ways I will be more discerning about that. I do try to make most my meals because sodium is something I really need to watch, but occasionally I'll treat myself to a chicken sandwich from Wendy's (no bun, and grilled, of course) or a beef and veggie plate from my favorite Vietnamese place. I think it's been fairly easy for me, simply because I was able to find just as tasty alternatives for a lot of my favorite foods. I'm going to try a gluten-free sourdough bread recipe from Bob's Red Mill today, actually!

My nutritionist told me that it takes about 3 weeks for gluten to leave your system, so it's possible for some to feel an almost immediate improvement, but the full effect does usually take about a month or so to REALLY notice. I think that giving gluten-free a try could really improve your quality of life, and it certainly can't hurt to try!

Feel free to add me if you'd like! =]
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I had symptoms of irritable bowel from my toddler years (am now 54). Diagnosed with bone on bone arthritis in my late 40s. Bipolar tending towards the depressive end. Asthma, Sick a lot. Acne.

Went gluten free over two years ago when a niece and nephew were diagnosed with celiac. Almost immediately all the IBS symptoms gone. More energy. Skin better. Still have arthritis (cannot regrow cartilage).

I like to make a big pot of rice or rice and beans once a week. Then I can scoop some out and have it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner depending on what I do with it. Heat it up with milk and fruit for breakfast. Throw some chicken or fish in it for other meals. Or just eat it plain. I don't flavor the pot so I can make lots of different tastes throughout the week. I live alone so this works really well for me.

I have also made bisquick pancakes. They are pretty good. Frozen gluten free waffles and pizza dough (udi is the best brand) and when I really am craving a decadent dessert Udi's double chocolate muffins (frozen).
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I had symptoms of irritable bowel from my toddler years (am now 54). Diagnosed with bone on bone arthritis in my late 40s. Bipolar tending towards the depressive end. Asthma, Sick a lot. Acne.

Went gluten free over two years ago when a niece and nephew were diagnosed with celiac. Almost immediately all the IBS symptoms gone. More energy. Skin better. Still have arthritis (cannot regrow cartilage).

I like to make a big pot of rice or rice and beans once a week. Then I can scoop some out and have it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner depending on what I do with it. Heat it up with milk and fruit for breakfast. Throw some chicken or fish in it for other meals. Or just eat it plain. I don't flavor the pot so I can make lots of different tastes throughout the week. I live alone so this works really well for me.

I have also made bisquick pancakes. They are pretty good. Frozen gluten free waffles and pizza dough (udi is the best brand) and when I really am craving a decadent dessert Udi's double chocolate muffins (frozen).

UDI'S is where it is at. Plus Domino's has GF pizza that is amazing. Bob's Red Mill GF is perfect. Pamela's makes a great pancake mix. There is so much that is super yummy. Don't be afraid to cook.
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean.. I recently had the worst 9 months of my life.. Symptoms started in October of 2011 and ended around July 20th 2012 (I cut gluten out on July 17th).

Long story short version. Started with terrible intestinal and abdominal pain, followed by blood pressure of 190/90 (pretty much ready to have a stroke or heart attack), brain fog to the point where I couldn't read, write or focus on anything.. I would even have a hard time walking, vision changes (woke up one day and everything was no longer 3 dimensional), massive panic attacks that sent me to the ER a few times, fatigue that prevented me from getting out of bed some days..I couldn't even look at the gym for 8 months (I'm a fitness manager and personal trainer), weight gain, skin turned a greyish color and I was very close to losing my job. I was literally dying on every level.

Doctor's never figured this out by the way.. I was put on ani-depressants, anti-anxiety meds, thyroid hormone and blood pressure meds.

27 years old.. Fit my whole life.. And this is what I had become.. At one point I reached the edge.. Wasn't sure how much longer I could live like that.

I made one last attempt.. Cut out gluten.. All symptoms gone..

I follow a very strict gluten free diet. I eat bread, oatmeal and multi-vitamins.. Udi's gluten free ancient grain bread, toasted, is amazing.

You just have to be diligent in reading labels and research. I educate myself everyday and now I actually enjoy my gluten free diet better then my old diet. I'm also in the best shape of my life since going gluten free. That's a pretty awesome side effect.

Feel free to add me and check out my diary. Don't be shy to ask questions. Have a great day!
  • tairaven
    tairaven Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've recently switched over to a gluten-free diet and I have to say I've never felt this good. The bloating, stomach pain and generally crappy feeling have gone away - plus I am not dragging myself through each day any longer. Sticking with a lot of the basics (fruit and veggies, meat and dairy) is the easy part, but when you want to buy something "made" you gotta read the label. I did a good sweep of the supermarket the other day and found that hummous and peanut butter are gluten free - paired with some celery or rice cakes (also gluten free) is gonna make a pretty good snack.

Good luck with the switch, it's definitely worth trying :-)
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yeah, going GF now is SO much easier than when I first tried it 6 years ago. I am in awe of the drastic improvement I've seen in GF products (Udi's bread, pizza, etc), and general availability! When I first tried it I had to order everything online or drive an hour and a half to a decent health food store. Now, I can go to Walmart, and they've got TONS of stuff. Sometimes its hard to find (like their GF Bisquick is in with the regular Bisquick, Crunchmaster crackers are with the regular crackers), but it is there. There is even a pizza place here in my tiny little town that serves GF pizza! And its GOOD!!! lol!

I've always had memory problems, and while they've gotten better, they're still not all back. And yes, I still suffer from some arthritis-type pain; but my hip and back pain have gotten SO much better, so long as I don't overdo it (I have a bad disc in my back).

It was the complete exhaustion and pain that did it for me. I couldn't function. I couldn't carry my 25lb 2 year old! I wanted to sleep all of the time. And I KNEW I wasn't depressed like the doctor said. When I asked for the test, he kind of blew me off. Once he saw the complete turn around I had, then he wanted to do the test. Well, you have to be eating gluten for the test to come back positive, and there is no way I'm ever doing that.

Oh, I can't do oats :(. I never cared for them that much so its not a big deal, but I ate some GF crackers that had oats in them and was miserable for 2 weeks. I'm also allergic to Buckwheat surprisingly! (Its not really a wheat) And when I went GF and started eating better, I also realized a Kiwi allergy. Which I hate, cause I love Kiwi! But, better to avoid than have my tongue swell up, lol!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    So heres my story...as short as can be.

For years ive been suffering with fatigue, tiredness (like zonked out tiredness) body aches and lots of gas, bloating, cramps. In and out of my doctors..even went to see another dr. Test after test and they tell me the same thing. Im just depresed, throw drugs at me, none of which help any and thats that. Im loosing my mind with this extreme tiredness and fatigue, general overall weakness etc...Some days are better than others (which if I have celiac or gluten intolerance would i feel bad all the time? or can you feel better on some days and worse on others?)

Well, I figure if my doctor cant/wont find something wrong with me and is just trying to tell me im depressed im going to find something wrong myself! I know my body...im not depressed, well not JUST depressed anyway...of course my symptoms make me depressed! Buts not soley depression...I dont have a thing to be depressed about. Im happily married, finally got my long awaited baby after 3 miscarriges (which i read celiacs can cause infertility too?) We arent rich but we make it by and I get to stay home with my little girl.

SO...I figure I have nothing to lose by cutting out gluten and seeing if I feel better! I might actually even lose more weight that way! Heck most gluten free stuff is healthy stuff. Fresh fruits veggies, unprocessed meats cheeses etc...So a few questions...

What do you eat for meals? It seems the only thing I can have for breakfast is eggs which ill get tired of quickly! I need some meal ideas. Like this AM I made scrambled eggs, and whites with spinach, mushroom and swiss. Im gonna miss my bread! And oatmeal!

How long of being on a gluten free diet before I notice a difference?

I do know pills can contain gluten...so ive already checked my pills, and it seems my multi vitamin COULD contain it so ill have to get one that doesnt...any brand you recommend? Ive also read about "hidden" gluten in products and products say they can claim gluten free even if they contain a tiny bit of gluten. So what ingredients are a red flag for gluten?

Any other tips, insight, expertise...please let me know! Thanks so much!!!!

Hi there.

Like you, I had those same symptoms along with other medical conditions. I voluntarily started the Paleo diet as a way to control Diabetes, Thyroid and PCOS symptoms.

I found I am not bloated anymore, I have energy, sleep well and just have an overall feeling of wellness that I didn't have eating "healthy whole grains".

I have been to the Dr, he refuses to test me for celiac markers or just allergies in general.

So fast forward 2 weekends ago...................husband wanted to have pizza (not home made pizza) and so I said ok. I would make myself a salad and eating pizza toppings along with my salad.

I ended up eating 1 whole piece of pizza and broke out in head to toe hives...............that are just now going away.

I went to the Dr on that Monday and said Do you believe me now to do some testing.................He stated that we will probably never know what caused the hives and allergy testing wasn't necessary, he didn't seem to think it was the gluten - yet again.

<sigh> I think it is time to look for a new Dr.

LOL, I never tire from eggs and eat them boiled, poached, scrambled, fried, omelette, etc. Or I eat leftovers from a previous meal.
  • PibblesRun
    Options
    thanks SOOO much everyone! I feel so much more positive about going this way for a while. I really hope this is my problem (well not really lol) I dotn want ANY problems, but if this fixes all my tiredness, pains, headaches, depression blah blah...then YEAH ill take it! I have a feeling its what it might be. I have all your guys symptoms. I really REALLY hope this fixes my issues! Im glad I posted...so glad to have some gluten free friends to help me along! And now this also has me thinking....my mom had back pain, arthritis, thyroid issues, headaches, depression, bowel problems etc etc her whole life (she died in 2008 from a back surgery to fix her deteriorated spine) now im wondering if maybe this was her problem too and it just went undiagnosed for her whole life. Well...Heres to a gluten free life!!!! (or at least a month to see if its my problem lol)
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Also, be aware that many cosmetics contain gluten. Elizabeth Hasslebach has written a book detailing her experience with going GF. I haven't read the book but I understand she lists many alternatives for shampoo, skin lotions, etc.
    Personally, I have found the Boots No. 7 line of Botanics line of creams and moisturizers at Target. From what I understand they are GF and also organic.

Everyone who has went GF has a story to share as to why. So many of us have been affected by gluten in a negative way. I decided to go GF after experiencing thyroid issues, migraine auras, tummy issues, joint pain, and learning I had the beginnings of osteoporosis. Whenever I slip up and eat gluten, I notice a feel terrible and am extremely tired afterward. It's a fatigue that is very unfamiliar to me now!

I do hope you see your symptoms disappear and have more energy too. And by the way, your daughter is adorable!!:smile: