5K Question

Options
I want to do a 5K that is coming up in Feb 2013 but I am physically unable to run. How many people actually walk the 5K runs?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It depends on the race. The smaller 5 k runs around here rarely get walkers. Our fall marathon weekend 5k usually gets 2 or 3 dozen walkers (with over a thousand total participants).
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If it's a real chipped race probably not many but if it's a charity fun run there will be lots. My last run was a 5k for breast cancer and about a 1/4 of the people were walkers.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    One thing you could do is check last years results for that race if they are available online. It may not specify walkers but you can see if there are others who completed it around the same time you expect to. Should give you an idea if there were walkers or not.
    Or contact the race director and ask.

Even if there aren't others doesn't mean you can't. I'd go for it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    If it's a real chipped race probably not many but if it's a charity fun run there will be lots. My last run was a 5k for breast cancer and about a 1/4 of the people were walkers.

See thats the opposite here. Our chipped race has most walkers. The only fun run/small races that get walkers are the ones specifically billed as a walk/run.
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    Charity runs or city events usually have a lot of walkers; otherwise you won't find many walkers.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I find a lot of walkers or those who do running/walking intervals at most of the 5k's I run. Then again, most of the 5k's in my area are raising money for something.
  • MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 88
    Options
    There was a family fun day around here last month, a half marathon for serious runners and a 5k for families, something like that I would think you'd get a lot of runners, but I'm not sure if they have these everywhere, might be worth looking into :)
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Start on the C25k now and you'll be ready, but I just did the Baltimore 5k.

Fastest time was 15 minutes, I managed 32 minutes, which was excellent since I only started running in July with C25k, my friend finished with 46 minutes which is essentially a brisk walk (although she ran and walked), and there were 600 people finished slower than her up to 1:12 was the slowest time.

Hope that helps, but seriously, start now and you'll be surprised how quickly your body figures out it can run by doing just a little at a time.
  • mskathyw
    mskathyw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all who have replied. I have one more question, has anyone on here done the Color Run? It is a race done in major cities across the US. That is the one I am shooting for. I will not be ready for my local Vampire Run.

PS: No matter when I started training I won't ever be running again in this life. If I can't walk it I can't do it.
  • raelarson
    Options
    I did the Color Run in Des Moines. There were TONS of walkers. In fact, I had a hard time running the whole race because the streets were literally clogged with walkers. You should definitely go for it. You'll have a blast.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all who have replied. I have one more question, has anyone on here done the Color Run? It is a race done in major cities across the US. That is the one I am shooting for. I will not be ready for my local Vampire Run.

PS: No matter when I started training I won't ever be running again in this life. If I can't walk it I can't do it.

The Color Run is less Run and more Color. Most folks tend to maybe lightly job between stations but my cousin said most folks walk. There is no shame in walking a 5K at all since most in my region are walk/run 5k's. You have to start somewhere. Good luck with your race!

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • peprwpr
    peprwpr Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I walked my first 5K in May. It was a chipped race, but, I walked, and had a great time. I am doing the Turkey Trot 5K on Thanksgiving day here, and am hoping to run at least 1/2 of it. I have a friend who has started me on a C25K type program, but set for a 5-6 week build up.
  • pennyjoef
    pennyjoef Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've walked 5, 5k's, improving my time with everyone of them!
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    Many 5Ks allow you to register as a walker or a runner. If you are walking just make sure you line up toward the back so none of the runners bump you or have to go around you (many people are running for a specific time goal, and every second counts).

You can always alternate running and walking if you are able to. :) Good luck and have fun!
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options

See thats the opposite here. Our chipped race has most walkers. The only fun run/small races that get walkers are the ones specifically billed as a walk/run.

I have done about 5 of them so far and i always register as a runner even though i walk 80% of it. I do it because i want to get a chip if it is chipped so i can record my time and do better the next one. I dont try to do a specific time limit but i do try to be better at the next one. I enjoy doing them and have no problem as a walker. Alot of people walk them as well. Have fun that is the most important thing.
  • jessicalynn75
    jessicalynn75 Posts: 371 Member
    Options

Doing my first Color Run on November 10th!
  • calamity71
    calamity71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I added an ap to my smart phone 5 weeks ago called C 2 5K (couch to 5K by coolrunning) and It started me running for one minute, then walking three, running 1. It was difficult, I have been doing it faithfully every other day. Today I just ran 8 minutes straight!! then walked 5 and ran the next 8!!!

I would say if you walk the 5K that is awesome, but you have plenty time to train and be prepared. BTW, I really jog, I don't run, and my average speed on the treadmill today was 4.6. I think I am slower on the trail. I was told to start slow, go through the motions and work on your time later.

Good Luck!
  • mskathyw
    mskathyw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys for the encouragement. My son just started running so I am kind of hoping he will go with me. If not I have some friends who will go.
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I did the Salt Lake City Color Run last month!! It was so much fun! My parents saw me, and my dad even said he'd run next year's with me. He even offered tutus! :laugh:
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

The color run isn't timed, it's mostly just a celebration with maybe some jogging :) Go and have fun!