Trying to not get discouraged

Options
Hi All,

I decided last weekend to get off my *kitten* and shed the extra 25lbs I've had on me for the last couple years.

The week stared off good, I set a goal to lose 3lbs in 2 weeks for starters. I have weighed in every day this week and after losing 1.9lbs to start the week I've been creeping back up having gone up.2, .3 and .4 in the last 3 days, so I still have 2lbs to go.

I've exercised every day this week, for a minimum of 30 minutes either aerobic or strength training, also got 2 3-mile runs in @ 10min pace.

I've also been counting my calories, and have been at or under my daily limit all week.

I know I should have more patience, but the last 3 weigh-ins have me slightly discouraged.

Replies

• kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I too weigh every day, but if you do that you can't let the ups and downs get to you. It sounds like you're on the right track except for one exercise. You need to exercise patience. I try to look at my loss in chunks of time. I gauge my progress in 4 week increments and tweak from there if needed.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I decided last weekend to get off my *kitten* and shed the extra 25lbs I've had on me for the last couple years.

The week stared off good, I set a goal to lose 3lbs in 2 weeks for starters. I have weighed in every day this week and after losing 1.9lbs to start the week I've been creeping back up having gone up.2, .3 and .4 in the last 3 days, so I still have 2lbs to go.

I've exercised every day this week, for a minimum of 30 minutes either aerobic or strength training, also got 2 3-mile runs in @ 10min pace.

I've also been counting my calories, and have been at or under my daily limit all week.

I know I should have more patience, but the last 3 weigh-ins have me slightly discouraged.

I have learned that I should NOT weigh in after 2-3 days straight of working out. My muscles will retain water and the scale will go up. I tend to only take seriously my Monday weigh ins ( no workout Saturday/Sunday) and my Friday weigh ins ( I take Thursday off).

It could be worse...I have been working out for 9 months, and the last few months I barely have lost a thing! I am under my calorie goal 98% of the time, and I do 35 minutes of cardio and about 20-30 minutes of strength 4x a week.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    A pound a week. Unless you have a lot to lose, a pound a week. Half pound if you're close.

And it's DIET that takes off weight.

Exercise is wonderful, makes you look fantastic, maintains muscle, and is good for your health. But for weight, it's diet.

Be patient. You're setting yourself up for failure.
  • wwmorrow
    wwmorrow Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I started out weighing myself every day. I now weigh myself two or three times a week, but I really think once a week is best (I'm trying to get to the point where I only weigh once a week). I think it's best because I, too, get easily discouraged if the scale goes up even a tiny bit. I do believe that my weight fluctuates a little within the week and that I would be happier if I just waited and weighed once. It sounds like you are doing the right things. But, if you get on that scale every day, you will get discouraged.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I have never set goals to lose x amount of weight in x amount of time. It just leads to frustration (as you can see!)

Your body is not a calculator that takes in set amounts of calories, expends exact amounts of energy, and mathematically results in a certain loss. It is complicated, affected by any number of variables that you have little or no control over. Keep tracking your food and exercising and you will see results. Just try not to get so caught up in the day to day variances.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I started out weighing myself every day. I now weigh myself two or three times a week, but I really think once a week is best (I'm trying to get to the point where I only weigh once a week). I think it's best because I, too, get easily discouraged if the scale goes up even a tiny bit. I do believe that my weight fluctuates a little within the week and that I would be happier if I just waited and weighed once. It sounds like you are doing the right things. But, if you get on that scale every day, you will get discouraged.

I don't know. I like weighing every day so each measurement isn't that important and there's always hope tomorrow.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    You are counting calories and exercising, which is good but how much water are you drinking, are you tracking sodium, what are you eating? I think what you eat is almost as important as how much you eat. Do you weigh and measure your food? I weigh daily too but you have to be prepared for the small ups and downs that happen daily. Pick one day a week to be your official weigh in day and stick with that to track your losses. Are you eating back your exercise calories or at least some of them? Don't forgot to give your body a rest day. Have you thought about measuring yourself, you may lose inches and gain them in good places since you are also strength training!