Calculating calories burned correctly

Options
I just tested out Runtastic Pro and it's claiming that I burned 266 calories in .74 miles at 3.5mph (13m 43s)

MFP and other online calculators are saying it should be around 130-140 for 14 minutes. Which is true? Does Runtastic take in the elevation difference (85ft) which adds to the calories burned?

Replies

• sophia5_k
    sophia5_k Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting a heart rate monitor. I used to go with what myfitnesspal calculated but once I got a heart rate monitor I realised the calories burned were usually way over estimated. It's worth the investment because the chest strap can detect how fast your heart is beating therefore how hard your working.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about Runtastic, so I can't comment on that. It's unlikely that any of them are going to be 100% "true", they are all just estimates. If you can, it would be helpful to get a heart rate monitor (with a chest strap) and that should give you a more accurate estimate.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    That is crazy high. I use Runkeeper, which is higher than MFP (and I do think is accurate) and it would be much lower than that.

Does your app track variability in speed? Sometimes if you swing your arms with your phone in your hand it gives you like 25MPH for a minute. It doesn't just average, it actually calculates calories minute by minute (which is important for accuracy and might change the calorie estimate).

I find that at strolling speed it seems to be over-estimating calories. On the other hand, when I walk quickly enough to really be working out (3.5-4.5 MPH), it seems more in range.
  • mblewis13
    Options
    That sounds pretty high to me as well. I am using a Fitbit to track my burned calories...love it!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Okay, I just looked up my walk for yesterday on Runkeeper. 3.7 miles at 3.47 mph for 370 calories.

Another day: 3.62 mph for 2.63 miles was 274 calories.
  • aeros88
    aeros88 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just did another mile at a local track, 1.0m at 3.0mph and it shows 400 calories. Looks like ill be investing in a heart rate monitor. Is there a good one in the $50 range? I wish MapMyFitness supported syncing to MFP because I found a cheap HRM with great reviews that only works with MMF.
  • dwoodmanjr
    dwoodmanjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've used 3 or 4 different pedometers recently, and they've all pretty much agreed that 3 miles walking for me is between 400-450 calories (my CW is 279). My treadmill also confirms this.

Treadmill also confirmed that whether I walk the 3 miles in 1 hour (so 3mph) or in 45 minutes (so 4mph), I burn the same (roughly) number of calories.
  • aeros88
    Options
    That is interesting.

I logged into MyNetpulse (treadmill at the gym) and it says 20min @ 3.0mph is 135 calories burned. However, my avg HR is 156 (w/ a peak of 166) according to the same treadmill. A couple different online "heart rate to calories burned" calculators seem to agree that 20min @ 3.0mph should be in the 330-350 range.

I'm a 24 y/o male at 340lbs.
  • aeros88
    Options
    Dug into the Runtastic website a bit and found out that my "activities" were created as "Running" instead of "Walking" which uses a different algorithm for calculating calories. I think it should calculate it based on speed/elevation and/or HR if available but guess not.

Calories burned dropped from 401 to 189 after switching activity type.