Has anyone been told they look "happier"?

Options
I've lost 66 pounds over the past 6 months. For the past two weeks I've had a few people tell me that I look "happier." This is kind of confusing because I don't feel any happier. I've always been such a positive/optimistic person with a smile on my face. I love life regardless of my weight! Do people think this because they think smaller = happier? Anyone else getting this compliment?

Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Probably. I've been told everything at this point.

Congrats on changing your life!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    No, the one I usually get is "you look well, really well". :smile: Who knows what goes through people's heads, but I'd just take it as a compliment. They obviously like the changes they see in you!
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    It also might be that the better shape you are in, the happier you really are! You've all noticed an attitude change (I know it!) and it shows on the outside. People are starting to notice you feel better, it's a great compliment
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I notice that when I walk several miles, it makes my face form a certain expression, which is more of a smile shape, and this doesn't happen from feeling particularly happy, but simply from walking. When I've arrived at work after walking several miles to work, I've had people tell me I look glowing and happy, and I'm aware that I do look like that, but it's a physiological thing that happens to me from walking fast. I generally find I do feel happier too, when my face is like that, but the feeling comes after the face change. But then, when your cheeks lift for whatever reason, to form more of a smile shape, it does apparently make you actually feel happier too - at least, this is what experiments have shown, where people hold a pencil in their teeth in a way that makes them do a sort-of smile. When the brain is aware the face is smiling, it thinks it's happy.
  • StonesUnturned
    StonesUnturned Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yes, someone told me this, although I did defend my thesis around the same time I started losing weight, so I probably am a bit happier and less stressed. I do think people might use it as a euphemism though, since weight loss can be a sensitive topic with people. Just look around these boards to see that some people are upset that no one is noticing their weight loss and some people are upset that people feel free to comment on it. It's safer to say someone looks well or happier than to say they look like they weigh less.
    Congrats on being "happier"/lighter.
  • donnab83
    donnab83 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! (this is the only place it is socially acceptable to use that phrase!)
    I've not had that one yet..... But I get "you must feel loads better!" which i hate! Because i was big im sumposed to feel crap? Thanks! I felt good before & now i also feel good. Theres less of me to lug around, No **** Sherlock of course I feel better!
  • b1delane
    b1delane Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    yes...i get it though because I'm happy with the way I look and my confidence has increased!
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I get it all the time! But it is because I am happier. I thought I was happy when I was overweight too, but it definitely doesn't compare to how I feel now. Maybe they are using the word Happy because they lack a better word. Maybe because you lost 66 pounds you have some pep in your step and a sparkle in your eye!

I doubt the mean anything malicious, they just think you genuinely look happier...for lack of a better word ;)
  • Sarahwillow
    Sarahwillow Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have gotten this as well!!! But I am happier!!! I can move easier, I don't have that blah feeling that was with me all the time and exercising has helped my mood improve. Oh btw I LOVE IT!!!!
  • LuccyH
    LuccyH Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I was told that I looked different. More happy and more optimistic and more relaxed. I think I was like that before but probably not And I am and feel happy, thats is more important.:happy: :happy: :happy:
  • djkamin60
    Options
    Yes, when I went from a size 22 to size 16 jean size, I was glowing like a Christmas Tree and got that comment. Congrats on your loss.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    When I am not feeling well I get rosy cheeks. People have commented on me looking fresh after a 12 hour shift on multiple occasions when I am flushed. It might be something weird like that that people are picking up on as happy.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yes, but because I'm married! Not because of the weight loss :)
  • huwiesmummy
    huwiesmummy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 100lbs and have been told i look happier. I talked to my grandma the other day and she said i look like and i really enjoying being slim and being able to do all the things i couldn't before. I take it as a compliment. I tend to smile a lot more and don't feel like a fat slug anymore.