Sry/awkawrd - stool problems

Options
Okay this is another gross and awkward poop post but I've never ran into this before and could use some advice.

Last sunday I had a very large passage of stool. Not just a normal brick, it was all over the place (sorry for the details lol). I was literally on the can for like 20 mins and lost a lot. It was after a BBQ the day before along with drinking, so I figured that was just the result.

However, since then, I haven't passed (6 days). I've been eating right and drinking plenty of water. I work out consistently and have a lot of gas but no passage. I'm starting to get worried. I don't *feel* constipated but I know it could be a problem. I don't really want to resort to laxatives or pills unless I have to. what do you you think?

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Okay this is another gross and awkward poop post but I've never ran into this before and could use some advice.

Last sunday I had a very large passage of stool. Not just a normal brick, it was all over the place (sorry for the details lol). I was literally on the can for like 20 mins and lost a lot. It was after a BBQ the day before along with drinking, so I figured that was just the result.

However, since then, I haven't passed (6 days). I've been eating right and drinking plenty of water. I work out consistently and have a lot of gas but no passage. I'm starting to get worried. I don't *feel* constipated but I know it could be a problem. I don't really want to resort to laxatives or pills unless I have to. what do you you think?
    Patience young stool Jedi...
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    What's your fiber intake been like this week?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    People vary. If you had a problem, you'd be in pain.

Make sure you have enough fiber and go with it. (No pun intended).
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Lots of fiber and water this week. Tons of salads, fruits, and veggies, but I always make sure to drink at least 7 cups of water a day. Usually 8
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    6 days is a long time to go without going. It might be time to let mr. miralax lighten your load.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Change in diet always affects the "poop" at least it does me. I don't go nearly as often nor as much since I'm not eating as much. I'm taking extra fiber and trying to get the ruffage in like I'm supposed to. Eating Mcdonalds used to be enough to keep me cleaned out but since I no longer eat there it's way "harder" to get go. 6 days is a long time to not go though. I'd be worried about it and frankly would do something about it. Talk to your doctor. And I agree you don't want to get used to doing laxatives, it's not good for you, but then again neither is not going for 6 days.
  • zigeuner62
    Options
    Try eating some prunes or drinking prune juice. Always works for me.
  • VenusEnvy
    VenusEnvy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Try some Smooth Move tea.
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Skip the bananas.... they contain lots pectin (the stuff that makes jelly gel). The compound performs the same function in your gut. If you're not "going" skip things in the diarrhea diet:

ABC: Apples, Bananas, Cereal. (it's an old thing, so cereal here refers to mid-century fully-refined grains (think rice, not just bread/pasta) whole grains w/ lots of insouble fiber).
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Some people poop once a week, and that is normal and healthy for them. Others poop several times a day, and that is normal and healthy for them. There is a lot of variation in poop frequency. If you are feeling well and not in pain, I wouldn't worry.
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If that's not the norm for you.....I would be a little concerned. You don't want to wait until you're in pain....then the problem could be compounded and much harder to deal with. I would try a stool softener to see if that won't get things moving!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    You should probably try increasing your water because honestly 7-8 cups is not a lot of water if you've increased your fiber.

Another thing is, do you drink coffee? If I have 1 cup a day, it's enough to keep me regular.
  • Dahllywood
    Options
    You should probably try increasing your water because honestly 7-8 cups is not a lot of water if you've increased your fiber.

Another thing is, do you drink coffee? If I have 1 cup a day, it's enough to keep me regular.

My urine is usually pretty clear so I don't think I'm dehydrated at all. I do drink coffee every day and take water into that account as well.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

My urine is usually pretty clear so I don't think I'm dehydrated at all. I do drink coffee every day and take water into that account as well.

I didn't mean that I think you're dehydrated. I just find that when I've increased my fiber intake, I have to be very mindful of my water. Even if my urine remains the same, I need extra water on days when I get a lot of fiber or else I end up backed up.

The simple reasons explained: http://www.livestrong.com/article/423490-does-fiber-increase-water-needs/ (recommends 10 glasses of water a day if you've got a high fiber diet)

If you'd like more scientific reasons I can post that too. Just let me know.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Your diary show extremely low fat. You need a bit to help things slide out. Along with the prunes, try 1 tbsp of olive oil of something like that. Don't be afraid of some fats, they actually help you absorb the vitamins and minerals from all those veggies better.

Edit: Here's the article re fats and salads:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/20/low-fat-salad-dressing-unhealthy_n_1612869.html
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Gotta love the MFP poop talk. Normally I don't chime in but I shall say: since my hubby and I started eating super clean 5 months ago- poop talk has become every day. One would think clean eating would be easier for your body but it isn't. Lax time- just do it.

Ps- I agree that fat helps.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of issues with having a hard time going in my life. Things I have learned, avoid too many bananas. Too much milk can be an issue for my son. Gatoraid is something that I have noticed a pattern in the past of it causing me constipation. I am not sure why on that one, but it did.

Drink not just enough water, but kick up a LOT as much as you can handle without getting sick on water. It goes a long way to soften your stool. This helps more than about anything else for me.

Cabbage soup cleans me out like little else, way better than prune juice. THat could just be me though.

Here is an important thing.....even if you don't feel like you need to go, sit down daily on the toilet and relax for a few minutes and try to go anyway. I often find I relax, I can get some out. It helps avoid impaction, which BELIEVE ME you DO NOT want that to happen. That is terrible, terrible pain.

WHen all else fails, take an extra fiber with PLENTY of water. You do it without the water and it will be worse.

Also, a stool softener (not a laxative) might help. I found little help with them myself, but some folks have them work well. Some fat in the diet does help.

I agree that is a long time not to go. I would be going nuts.
  • jg627
    Options
    Your diary show extremely low fat. You need a bit to help things slide out. Along with the prunes, try 1 tbsp of olive oil of something like that. Don't be afraid of some fats, they actually help you absorb the vitamins and minerals from all those veggies better.

Edit: Here's the article re fats and salads:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/20/low-fat-salad-dressing-unhealthy_n_1612869.html
    Word.
    Sorry, been laughing my butt off listening to Lonely Island (the Justin Timberlake ones), but yeah, good fats help grease up the track for a smooth takeoff.
  • Dahllywood
    Options
    Well, as luck (or irony) would have it, the time came and went today. So my worries are gone for now. Everything was normal haha. Thanks for the advice guys. Next time I have issues I'll think about what you all have said.
  • jg627
    Options
    Well, as luck (or irony) would have it, the time came and went today. So my worries are gone for now. Everything was normal haha. Thanks for the advice guys. Next time I have issues I'll think about what you all have said.
    Congrats!