What time do you workout?

Options
I like to work out late, usually right before bed. Some people say that makes them not be able to sleep but I've never had that problem. I've tried working out in the mornings, but that is just NOT for me! What about other people?:smile:

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Work out whenever is good for you. If your late workouts are working for you, who cares what other people think? Time of day has no bearing on workout efficacy
  • supafly419
    supafly419 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I found out that running in the morning and calisthenics in the eve is working out for me. But I guess the main point is to work out:)
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    i prefer mornings nothing like working up a good sweat first thing in the morning
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I tend to workout after work. On weekends I try to go in the mornings but it is hard for me to get going.

I think I am just so used to doing workouts at night. From when I was three until I was in my mid-twenties I danced after school up until 9pm when I was older. When I quite dance, I walked late at night after work.

I have never had an issue sleeping when I workout at night. Last night I did P90X plyometrics at 6:30 and was in bed, passed out by 10. I sleep better on days I exercise at night.
  • thebig_trg
    thebig_trg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Seems like the scale didn't start to move for me until I incorporated a 5 am boot-camp style workout at least twice a week, along with walking everyday and playing softball once a week.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I work out as soon as I get home from work. It is the perfect time for me.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    All different times. It just depends when I have time to fit it in. Plus I coach/run with a high school cross country team, so I always get in some type of workout right around 3pm. :)
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    late evening/early night is running, midday/afternoon if swimming,

I tried to make myself run in the morning but I just cannot force myself. Evening that's it!
  • brentb71
    brentb71 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    4:00 am run every other day. 4:00 am strength training on the other days. 8:00 pm elliptical on 2 of the strength training days.
    It's not ideal or easy but it works out best for my family & work.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I usually get there around 5:45-6am. I just started doing this as I started my first normal business hour full time job a couple months ago and I LOVE it. It's a little hard getting out of bed at 5 (I like to have time in the morning to get myself and stuff together and eat) but once I'm up and at the gym I'm so happy about it. Getting it out of the way for the day... by the time I get to work I've already been up for 3 hours. It's a good feeling.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Mornings for me! I get up before the rest of my family because I work out in the living room. If I don't get it done early, it doesn't usually get done. Unless it's a run day, then I go after I take my kid to school (used to go earlier, but it's too dark now!), but still get it done in the morning.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    All day! Hahah...nah but I have a full time job and a LOT of other hobbies & activities so I tend to do mini workouts a lot - a workout video right after I get up before work, a walk at lunch, dancing or bike riding for a little while after I get home for work or after dinner if I was busy earlier. On the weekends maybe I will do one longer workout but in general I am a big fan of multiple short (15-30 min) workouts.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I actually ran at midnight the other day and discovered that it is hard to run late and still sleep afterward. There is a general rule, however, that you should try to not exercise within 2 hours before you go to bed. Each time I try, it doesn't work. There's also something to be said for doing long runs in the morning and sprints in the afternoon. Something to do with the kind of energy one has available to use...
  • dabrion
    dabrion Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I run in the morning before eating anything to get direct burn of stored calories instead of burning what I just ate last. When lifting weights I really have no paticular time as lifting is geared towards either building muscle or defining it and not so much burning fat (even though it does that on a small scale also) In any case I just make sure I lift an hour after eating for fuel and muscle purposes.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    i workout whenever i feel like it. I love running in the morning to start my day, and sometimes i love a nice run at night.