Any tasty nutritional yeast recipes?

Options
ebr250
ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
I recently bought a container of nutritional yeast because it seemed really interesting - anyone have any good recipes for it?

Replies

• JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I recently threw my bag out because I didn't like the taste, but check out ohsheglows.com. Its a vegan site and she uses it in her recipes.
  • juiceomatic
    juiceomatic Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I make a "cheese" sauce with it that I put on pita pizzas.

1/2 cup Nutritional yeast
    1/4 cup Flour
    1 tbsp each tumeric and cumin
    1/2 tsp Salt
    1/2 tsp Garlic powder
    2 cups Water
    1 tsp Yellow Mustard
    2 tbsp Oil (olive preferred)

Directions

Mix together in a small pot. Cook on medium heat, stirring often until boiling. Let boil and stir until sauce thickens a bit then take off heat. Can add taco or chili seasoning (or whatever seasoning you choose for different tastes!) or eat as is.

Number of Servings: 1

Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 661.3
    Total Fat: 30.8 g
    Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    Sodium: 2,413.9 mg
    Total Carbs: 68.7 g
    Dietary Fiber: 16.9 g
    Protein: 37.1 g

I also puree this with a can of black beans and serve with tortilla chips, my kids (who are picky!) inhale it.
    Keep in mind the calorie count is for the entire batch, so divide accordingly :)
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Easy grated parmesan:

1 part nutritional yeast
    1 part sesame seeds
    sprinkle of salt

process in a food processor.

Great on pasta dishes and keeps in the fridge for quite a while.
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I throw it in a lot of things to add protein and a savory flavor. Soups, stews, chili, etc.

Sprinkle on steamed veggies, over salad, on popcorn, potatoes - anything you would put cheese on. I like it on broccoli better than my old fatty standbys of mayo, parmesan or cheddar.

And I second looking up vegan recipes, nooch is a vegan staple and it is used to pull things together, add umami flavor or cheesy flavor to a lot of vegan dishes.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips! I am excited to try it on my veggies.
  • lisaann1061
    lisaann1061 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love it on popcorn and salads - as a vegan, it is a great B-12 source. The vegan blog Happy Healthy Life uses it in a lot of recipes
  • jfeh
    jfeh Posts: 30
    Options
    Polenta Lasagna with Portabellas and Kale:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/02/polenta-lasagna-with-portabellas-and.html

Really good!
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I love cheese (like really... I LOVE cheese), but I actually really enjoy queso dip made with nutritional yeast. It's not as rich and creamy as the real deal, but for the dramatically reduced calorie and fat content it's hard to complain. I used to mix it with a little flour and then whisk it into hot water or milk with a little melted butter or margarine. When you have a thick sauce just stir in your salsa.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I have made the cheese sauce with it before, and it was okay. But I usually just sprinklie it on my salads or baked potatoes. And I put it in my tofu scramble! I really like the way it tastes!