4 months, changed lifestyle, and nothing. why?

Options
2»

Replies

• MadtownMadisonian
    MadtownMadisonian Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am also having plateau periods and agree with everyone here who counsels patience. But the other thing is portion size - since starting with MFP I have been more attentive to portion sizes so I could correctly enter my meals in the diary, and have surprised myself over and over and how off my earlier estimates have been. The first time I had a 4-oz serving of salmon, I was astonished at how small it really is. And when portions of even healthy foods are too large, the calories certainly creep up. Is it possible that you are having the same experience? In my case, it has definitely affected my portion control - in a good way.
  • cocosmom
    Options
    I too had regained some weight....tried medifast for 3.5 weeks...yes lost almost 10lbs but was starving all the time! Listened to my sister and went to a nutritionist who did a Metabolic Test: now I eat healthy within my caloric requirements, am not feeling hungry and just started losing a bit quicker since I switched my morning and afternoon snacks to protein shakes ( rt now they are around 150 cals
    1 scoop vanilla protein 1/4-1/3 c pure pumpkin , pumpkin pie spice and some stevia with 12 -14 oz water n ice very tasty and filling)

Have your dr.check out your thyroid and if your insurance covers it, try the Metabolic testing! Don't give up!

"Metabolic Testing

By testing your resting metabolic rate (RMR), with indirect calorimetry, you will learn how many calories you can consume without gaining weight, the deficit needed for weight loss, or the increased amount of calories needed for weight gain. Typically, an RMR is determined using a formula, based on your weight, height and age; however, this method does not take into account individual nuances. Measuring your actual metabolism will give an exact measurement of your RMR."
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Exercise intensity, not duration, is the key. There is some promising new research out there that indicates that working harder for shorter periods of time, will burn fat a lot faster.

As a female, you need to discover your maximum heart rate, as women can have heart rates as much as 30% higher than men, and the current standards are based on athletic males aged 19-23 years.

Next, you need to work at 85-95% of your maximum heart rate in short bursts (1-5 minutes), with longer recovery periods in between (2-10 minutes, depending on how long your were working at near maximum). How do you know you are working at near maximum heart rate? You feel like you are going to die if you don't stop soon. :laugh:

If you are working with a trainer who is not getting you results, fire that trainer. She is using an abundance of caution if she isn't pushing you into the pain. At the beginning of any effective training program, it is going to leave you sore and tired. It takes about 3 weeks to get to the other side of that brief, intense pain, but it gets gradually easier about 3-4 weeks into your program.

If you don't sometimes feel like killing your trainer, then she is doing it wrong.

*Any of the above advice is based on good cardiovascular health. If you suffer from any kind of cardiovascular problems, asthma or other pulmonary problems, do not try the above training recommendations until you have cleared it with your doctor.