Shoes?

Options
I've tried different shoes over the years for working out/playing sports. I recently started running and I'm making an effort to really get into it. Only problem is blisters - I feel like I have the worst feet in the world. I got a gnarly one recently.

Any suggestions for good running shoes? I have real high arches. Slightly wide feet. Should I just buy gel inserts or something?

Right now I have Nike air max's.

Replies

• thegirl68
    thegirl68 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I also have really high arches and wide feet. I've found that I just can't wear Nike's. I have had really good luck with Adidas and with New Balance for running shoes.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I am really hard on shoes and I've always had the best luck w/ New Balance.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    For the best shoes for you for running, I would suggest going to a specialty running store. There they will be able to analyze your stride and your foot type to help you find the best fitting shoe for you.
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have always been a Nike guy, even got the Nike Shox and they just were not confortable running in them. I have a high arch and wide foot.

But for running I only use New Balance. They are very comfortable and light.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck with New Balance and Asics. There's a NB store here that has employees trained to measure your feet, watch you walk, find out what you'd wear them for and then match you up with the best shoe. They'd also take your pronation into account. I've been very pleased with the set they picked out for me. Only downside is it's a tad on the expensive side. But then, as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for! :happy:
  • scweegie
    Options
    I am with Stephanie, if you have foot problems you can't go buy the flashiest looking shoe out there. Get to a running specialty store and they will fit you with a shoe that supports your arch. I encountered shin splints and stress problems in my leg muscles. Proper foot wear in a must! I am one of the lucky few who gets to wear a shoe that supports no arch, talk about a thick sole!
  • savanahspring
    Options
    It is my opinion (and personal experience) that Nike does not make the best of running shoes (I think it's because they make sssooo many things, it's hard to focus on just running) especially for people with wider feet. I used to be an avid runner (60-70miles a week) and found that Nike shoes gave me blisters and fell apart faster than any other shoe I've ever had and in one horrible instance, a stress fracture in my foot.

I liked New Balance for a while, but they frequently tore up the back of my heels (and I have the scars to prove it!) Then I found Saucony running shoes, which I now swear by. I have never had a problem with them, and since they really only make running shoes, it is easy to find a pair that will fit a unique foot.

I don't run nearly as much now, but I still wear my Saucony's and have still never have had a problem.

I would suggest going to a specialty running store (not one of the big sports stores) and talking with an employee. Because they work in a specialty store, you can bet that they are runners and that they know they're stuff

Again, all of this is my opinion, Good Luck!
  • Jelywa
    Jelywa Posts: 13
    Options
    I live and die by the Adidas Adizero shoes. They are super light weight and very flexible. I just bought a new pair the other day for outdoor running and I didn't have any pain at all even from the first use. I have the Mana and Ageis styles, I just love them.
  • jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 68
    Options
    Try Runners World site, they have a shoe finder and a good spring review currently. I to am new to running (started the newbie training plan at Runners World) recently got the new Asics Gel Kayano 16 and they fill great.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You can get your feet analyzed at most running stores. That really helps. Nike has never been recommended by runners. I run and work out in asics. They are so so comfortable!
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Sick feedback. Thanks to all. Opening up my eyes - sounds like Nike is beat.

I'm going to look into NB, Asics, Adidas and/or a specialty store and see where it gets me.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    By far the most comfortable shoes I've EVER worn are Asics. They can be pretty pricey but the "cheaper" ones are wonderful too, mine were $50 from DSW. I have really bad arches & shin splints and they help
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Sick feedback. Thanks to all. Opening up my eyes - sounds like Nike is beat.

I'm going to look into NB, Asics, Adidas and/or a specialty store and see where it gets me.

Look at Mizunos too! They are super comfortable and priced the same as Asics.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    By far the most comfortable shoes I've EVER worn are Asics. They can be pretty pricey but the "cheaper" ones are wonderful too, mine were $50 from DSW. I have really bad arches & shin splints and they help
    I have bad arches, wide foot but narrow heel. I love love love my new Asics Gel Turbulent shoes. They are so comfy!! Run around $75 so moderately priced. I got mine on sale for $59.