Breaking Up With My Scale

I am a compulsive over-weigher. There, I've said it. I'm not talking like, once a day when I get out of bed. I am talking NUMEROUS times a day, every time I happen to be in the same room with my scale. It is a sickness. It controls how I feel about myself, and in my prior life of all-day grazing and late-night snacking, it didn't make me feel very good.

So, at the indirect advice of a new MFP friend, who is guiding me into the the low-carb lifestyle, I am breaking up with my scale. I have replaced it with something kind of scary: BEFORE pictures. I have it written on my calendar, to take another set of pictures in three weeks. I might check the scale then too...not sure yet. But until then, that scale is totally off limits. (...and no, the pictures are not going to get posted on MFP. I haven't even shown them to my husband, and he sees me naked every day. These are for ME.)

I have to say, it is as liberating to me as my new way of eating has been. I no longer feel like a slave to the unhealthy, toxic influences that lurk in the most innocent places in my home. I am pretty much in charge at this point, and though it hasn't been very long and I don't want to "speak too soon," I can say without a doubt that I have never felt like the boss of my own body before, and right now, I do.

Time to focus on the things that actually matter, like, how I feel, how much energy I have, how much of myself I have to give to my family and other loved ones, and (yes, I know) how I look and how my clothes fit. Like my age, my weight is just a number. It is secondary to all of the other things that make life worth living.

Anyone else?

Replies

• I think this is a good idea. We don't even have a scale at our house anymore. It stopped working and we never got around to replacing it. (Pre-teen daughter wants one. She is perfectly healthy, but freaks out when she stands on the scale at our grocery store. I am not getting a new one for this reason.) The weight is just a number, but if the number starts to control you, and dictate your feelings, it isn't worth looking at it. The number doesn't control you- YOU control the number. I think going by pictures is a great idea and I hope it works for you.
  • tdotali
    tdotali Posts: 181 Member
    Time to focus on the things that actually matter, like, how I feel, how much energy I have, how much of myself I have to give to my family and other loved ones, and (yes, I know) how I look and how my clothes fit. Like my age, my weight is just a number. It is secondary to all of the other things that make life worth living.

Seems like you're figuring it out :) Obsessive weigh in's do nothing for you except make you obssessed! The scale means nothing and should be used as a guide, not a measurment.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    I weigh everyday. I can handle the truth because I am not weak minded. A scale is only a tool, use it for what it was meant for.
  • jeffreyjording
    jeffreyjording Posts: 67 Member
    I weigh twice a day as a constant reminder that I am NEVER gaining my weight back. I know its somewhat obsessive but hey it works for me.
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    I weigh everyday. I can handle the truth because I am not weak minded. A scale is only a tool, use it for what it was meant for.

Hmmmm...I'm not weak-minded either. Funny...I was just sharing a personal observation in my journey. For you to feel the need to be this nasty certainly shows a weakness in your character, if not your mind.