Workout with heart rate monitor

Options
I finally got a HRM and it's a Timex Ironman Race Trainer. From what I researched it was a real good one for my price range. I used it tonight in my martial arts class and we had a pretty vigorous class. But not a full cardio workout.

My average HR was 105, low 81 and peak was 144. I was spent most of the time in zone 1 with a total of 59 minutes. All together it was a 1 1/2 hour class. My total calories burned was around 1061.

Does that sound out of range? I've been manually with the HRM tagging my workouts at 300 calories.

Thoughts?

Replies

• lisab0864
    lisab0864 Posts: 154
    Options
    Well it would depend on your size/weight (age, sex, etc) but it seems high to me. I only burned 1444 calories during the 2:39:48 it took me to walk a half marathon (13.1 miles) -- average heart rate was 161 (zone 5.1 for me), w/max heart rate of 170 (zone 5.8 for me). I'm a 140 pound 48 year old woman.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Unless you have metabolic testing you won't know exactly how many calories you burn. Even the best HRM's are still formulas. What makes them better than using the database here on MFP is they try to take into account the heart rate to alter the basic calculation. This is one of the reason that there is such a war over whether or not to eat your exercise calories.

Use it as a guide and keep track of your weight loss for a month, then adjust your caloric intake accordingly.

I weight just over 200 pounds and I burn between 600 (HR 110-130) and 1200 (160-190) calories an hour depending on what activity, and what intensity it is.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Maybe a little but I can only base it on my experience with my Polar FT4 HRM. If I work REALLY hard, I burn just over 10 calories per minute in cardio, and that's with sweat dripping off my face and my muscles getting a bit shaky by the end of the workout. You might burn more if you had a higher muscle mass than me maybe?
  • cjransom
    Options
    Kind of a bummer. It's hard to tell really. Today same length but less vigorous it was 917 for the 1 1/2 hours. I guess I could cut the total in half.
  • Pizzagirl50
    Pizzagirl50 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Based on your weight I think that's probably pretty accurate.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    that number sounds about right. And if your overweight it definitely is right, cause you burn more calories when your overweight, as opposed to me not being overweight, if i do a hour of exercise in zone 1 i will burn roughly 700-800 calories. overweight person for an hour = 900-1400 depending on how big they are. Bigger you are more calories you will burn doing the same exact exercise in the same zone.

thats why people refer to it as the "easy weight" to lose.
  • fjay01
    fjay01 Posts: 5
    Options
    I workout with a heart rate monitor(HRM), I believe it is a great guide, I use the HRM and other calculators including the MFP calculations and average. I only do the math when there is a new exercise or a weight change more than ten pounds. Honestly my initial reason for using the HRM was to keep my HR below 90% so I would not DRT (die right there) when I started to workout and really out of shape.

Good Luck....
  • fjay01
    fjay01 Posts: 5
    Options
    Totally agree.... My OBESE butt can burn some cals. I am always carrying around the equivalent of a 65 pound back pack.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    Well it would depend on your size/weight (age, sex, etc) but it seems high to me. I only burned 1444 calories during the 2:39:48 it took me to walk a half marathon (13.1 miles) -- average heart rate was 161 (zone 5.1 for me), w/max heart rate of 170 (zone 5.8 for me). I'm a 140 pound 48 year old woman.

thats cause you weight 140 , and he weighs 220. and since men generally tend to weigh more than women, we eat more calories and we burn more calories.

if he did you half marathon in the same time, he would burn 2200-2300 calories probably.
  • chakslv
    chakslv Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I must say. I have had several TImex HRM and the calorie count is always very high. I have had polar as well and feel more comfortable with those numbers. I have found that this calculator is very helpful. It calculates based on average heart rate (and all the other important stuff). I use it as another check to the watches....esp since I no longer trust TImex numbers.

Here's the link: http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html