Diet Soda and Weight Loss

Options
I know that I shouldn't drink diet soda because it's bad for me. I'm considering giving it up (again...ahem) but was curious if anyone has seen a marked improvement in their weight loss as a result of giving up diet soda (or any beverage that's artificially sweetened)? I've read articles that say diet soda is connected to weight gain, but I'm looking for real people who can confirm that quitting has helped them lose weight. Thanks in advance for your input!

Replies

• amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    my greatest success didnt come until i gave up all forms of soda and juices. my primary beverage is water now. i may have a little green tea or a honest drink every now and then but water is my go to beverage
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is only linked to weight gain because it fools you into thinking you have something sweet and can cause you to crave more sweets. The actual soda doesn't cause the weight issue itself.
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yah, I already drink nothing but water, diet soda, and sometimes skim milk. That's why I'm skeptical that giving up only diet soda will make a difference. Plus, I drink water throughout the day (I'm a teacher, so I talk all day), and when it's time to eat, I always hate the idea of more water. I never drink soda unless I'm eating something; usually 1 can per day. I gave it up earlier this year for a month, and saw no changes- good or bad.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I've read about a lot of people drinking diet sodas and still losing weight. Even though its 0cal I still think everything should be in moderation. If its one can a day you drink I don't see how it can be that harmful. I tell my mom that too because she can't seem to stop drinking diet soda's either. She's a big fresca drinker. I quit drinking soda and didn't switch to diet because I can't stand that artificial sugar taste.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet soda and it made a huge difference.

Here is a Yale Study on the effects of artificial sweeteners found in diet sodas and the effect they have on the body:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

The interesting part of the research is the use of artificial sweeteners and the effect on the cravings the body produces. I will take a few quotes...

"Aspartame also increased subjective hunger ratings compared to glucose or water."

"In another study, aspartame, acesulfame potassium, and saccharin were all associated with heightened motivation to eat and more items selected on a food preference list [35]. Aspartame had the most pronounced effect, possibly because it does not have a bitter aftertaste."

"Sweetness decoupled from caloric content offers partial, but not complete, activation of the food reward pathways. ... Animals seek food to satisfy the inherent craving for sweetness, even in the absence of energy need. Lack of complete satisfaction, likely because of the failure to activate the postingestive component, further fuels the food seeking behavior." In simpler words, we don't get no satisfaction from the artificial sweeteners so we continue eating!

"Lastly, artificial sweeteners, precisely because they are sweet, encourage sugar craving and sugar dependence. Repeated exposure trains flavor preference [54]. A strong correlation exists between a person’s customary intake of a flavor and his preferred intensity for that flavor. Systematic reduction of dietary salt [55] or fat [56] without any flavorful substitution over the course of several weeks led to a preference for lower levels of those nutrients in the research subjects. In light of these findings, a similar approach might be used to reduce sugar intake. Unsweetening the world’s diet [15] may be the key to reversing the obesity epidemic." The food you eat trains your brain to crave those foods!

Now when I want a bit of soda, I get a sparkling water, add a bit of lemon or lime. My cravings for sweet things has gone way down and is usually satisfied with fresh fruit.
  • Del147
    Del147 Posts: 7
    Options
    Come on now! I think were scraping the barrel talking about giving up calorie free drinks to help us loss weight! I don't think so....
  • molliepw
    molliepw Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LPCoder
    Options
    Come on now! I think were scraping the barrel talking about giving up calorie free drinks to help us loss weight! I don't think so....

That is not what the research shows. Did you read what I posted? The research shows that the brain, when given artificial sweeteners, is looking for the satisfaction of the real sugar and when it doesn't get the satisfaction, it will release chemicals that will cause you to crave more sweets until it is satisfied.

I am saying that giving up diet sodas (artificial sugar), and sugar in general, will decrease your body's cravings for sugar.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    diet soda satisfies my sugar cravings.

Take that, correlation-causation!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I drink 2 - 4 diet sodas a day. Hasnt hampered any of my goals.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Yeah definitely scraping the bottom of the barrel folks... Calorie free soda does not cause you weight gain, I have on average 2 to 3 diet pepsi a day and have for years now and have managed to lose a few pounds.....
  • LPCoder
    Options
    OP, as you can see there are opinions on both sides of the debate and you should make decisions based on what you think is best for your body!

Good luck with your weight loss goals!
  • elebel82
    elebel82 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Even if it causes you to crave sweet things, if you're counting calories of everything anyway, it -shouldn't- make a difference, unless you're having trouble sticking to calories.

That said, I'm really hoping it's the magic formula, because I'm a huuuuge diet coke addict (drink it like water. Drink water as well, but dc is my go to drink, will easily polish off 2 litres a day), and two days ago, I woke up and accidently quit cold turkey, because it just seemed repulsive to me (I think maybe a side effect of mostly eating clean nutritional foods these days). If it's the magic super key to weight loss, I'll be very happy. (Somehow, I don't think so.)
  • dabrion
    dabrion Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    diet soda hasn't hampered me either.... and after drinking, i have never went searching for candy or donuts to satitsfy some sugar urge. If anything it has kept me from adding 150 calories to my meal in place of regular soda.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I gave it up part way through my loss for reasons other than weight loss. My rate of loss has not changed. I gave it up because I was concerned about the acidic nature of it affecting my teeth (I was drinking up to 10 a day). And I am leery of the BPA lining the cans as I already have hormonal problems from PCOS and figured additional potential endocrine disrupters were not something I needed in my life.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    There are also studies showing no change in hunger and a separate study showing no significant insulin response. Ill link when I'm at my desk, posting from phone right now.

Additionally, given that were in an environment where intake is closely tracked, one could easily see whether or not diet soda leads to calorie overconsption. Chances are this is highly individual.

Outside of the possibility that it could cause over-eating, diet soda is not going to cause weight gain.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I don't drink tons of diet soda, but I do have maybe 3 10 ounce bottles of Coke Zero a week and I also use a fair amount of Splenda in coffee, on grapefruit, etc. This satisfies my sweet tooth and doesn't seem to be either provoking wild sugar cravings or hampering my weight loss. In fact, I've lost 17% of my body weight, so I'm not planning on changing anything.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    The diet soda itself cannot cause weight gain, it's 0 calories.
    If it makes you crave more sweets and eat more, then it could be percieved as an indirect "cause" of weight gain, but in that case it isn't really the soda that caused the weight gain, it's your lack of willpower to put down the donut...
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Honestly, OP, I think this is something you need to figure out for yourself. Personally, diet soda doesn't affect my cravings at all, but sugar free sweets make me crave sweets even more. I've had to experiment with what I can and can not eat. There are certain foods that I simply can't eat because they trigger bingeing (like sweetened cereals and donuts). I really believe that it's different for everyone and that most studies are basically just propaganda.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    There was this weird drink my grandma used to drink called "Fresca" and it's like a grapefruit flavoured carbonated drink with no calories, sugar, anything and it makes you feel really full. Whenever I get hungry for something sugary or unhealthy this usually knicks the craving!