Ideal Fat/Carb/protein percentage?

Options
What do you think...

Replies

• babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    IMO.
    1g per lb protein, 20% fat and the rest carbs.
    as well as a good workout routine including weights/ strength is ideal for fat loss.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    There's no universal "ideal" ratio for everyone. For some low carb works. For others a balance approach works. Your ideal is what works for you.
  • healthyliving4mee
    Options
    OK how much should someone be getting with just protein for example?
    Today, my ratio has been 51% card (mainly wheats...bread) 19% protein, I think good...
    and 30% fat. and I haven't even eaten any dinner :/
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    IMO.
    as well as a good workout routine including weights/ strength is ideal for fat loss.

wow wish i knew this much when i was 19..awesome!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Go by grams, not ratios.
  • sam308lbs
    Options
    Since your goal weight is 132 lbs..that means around 120 - 132 g of Protein daily.So that means out of your daily intake..500 calories should come from Protein IMO
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    30/30/30

10% booze. ;D
  • healthyliving4mee
    Options
    Since your goal weight is 132 lbs..that means around 120 - 132 g of Protein daily.So that means out of your daily intake..500 calories should come from Protein IMO

How do I go about knowing if I do this lol? A boring chicken breast...most things I need a carb to go with or it's too blah. For example, today I had tuna salad, with greek yogurt (protein) but I included a wheat bagel 1/2.
  • sam308lbs
    Options
    protein shake smoothies!! they are delicious and protein packed! and yea chicken breast is a close second! Also egg whites,turkey,beef
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am set at c45 p30 f25

As long as I get over 100g of protein I am happy
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    IMO.

Bumping this post for actual knowledge.
    Set a calorie goal, fill in the rest.
  • joanne70
    joanne70 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rachaelfisher1
    Options
    Depends on your diet requirements. When cutting down weight, you would go a lower carb option (~20%) and higher protein (~40% or more). I don't really worry about fats, just as long as protein percentage is the highest.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Go by grams, not ratios.

^^this

Protein: 1g per lb of LBM as your minimum
    Fats: 0,35g per lb of total body weight as your minimum

Fill the rest in where you want.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    There's no universal "ideal" ratio for everyone. For some low carb works. For others a balance approach works. Your ideal is what works for you.

I like this at the moment, but my needs in macros change throughout the month.
    Generally I do well with higher fat, 50%, with carbs and protein about 25%. Just something to think about -
    Protein, Cortisol, and GABA: Why Moderating Protein Reduces Anxiety (and Lengthens Life)

Protein, composed of amino acids, is the building block molecule. For this reason, we usually think of it as constructing our bones, our skin, and our muscles. A lesser-known fact of amino acids, however, is that they are also the building blocks of neurotransmitters. This means that when certain amino acids break down from proteins during digestion, we can experience mood changes and anxiety. Other amino acids can help relieve anxiety, depending on what foods are consumed. Tyrosine uniquely increases dopamine concentrations in the brain, for example. This can have positive effects for people with dopamine deficiencies, but it can hurt people who are already excitable. Another example is Leucine. Leucine increases m-Tor signalling, which is somewhat inflammatory and has been shown in many cases to be associated with aging and poor immune response.

High Protein Diets, Stress and Anxiety in the Short Term
    Regardless of the differences in amino acids, higher protein diets correlate with anxiety in both animal and human studies.

Here, in one study, researchers set out to show that a high carbohydrate diet would induce more stress than a high protein diet, yet their finding ended up being the opposite: a high protein meal created a greater cortisol response than a high carbohydrate meal in women. Here, high protein diets are shown to decrease testosterone and increase cortisol in men. These studies demonstrate that high protein meals increase stress responses. Moreover, MDs anecdotally report acute anxiety in patients once they start high protein diets. Finally, protein can raise norepinephrine and dopamine levels, both of which are usually high in anxious individuals, and both of which stimulate arousal.

Protein and the neurobiology of GABA
    So on the surface the literature on protein intake and mental health is present, but its actually pretty sparse. Certainly, it seems as though cortisol is associated with high protein consumption, especially in the short term. But the amount of data out there is not all that much compared to how much research has been done on fat and carbohydrates. For example: nearly everyone agrees that fluctuating blood sugar is bad for mental health; they also know that tryptophan, a result of carbohydrate metabolism, helps induce feelings of calm and well-being. So these are ways in which carbohydrates have been thoroughly studied.

Furthermore, nearly everyone also agrees that fat is excellent for mental health. High fat diets, but not higher protein, nor high carbohydrate, decrease anxiety in rats. So we know a lot about fat, too. What about protein? What we might be able to assert about protein comes not, then, from any epidemiological data, but from neurobiology. What does looking at amino acid chemistry and neurobiology tell us might be going on with protein metabolism?

It all has to do with GABA. For more on GABA neurons in general, refer to this post. In sum: GABA neurons are inhibitory neurons. They tell the brain to be quiet. For people who are depressed and fatigued, therefore, GABA might seem like a problematic molecule, but that’s inaccurate. GABA malfunctioning has been shown to play a role in almost all mood disorders, and in insomnia, and really any kind of imbalance in the brain that might lead to disordered behavior. GABA is strongly associated with well-being, calmness, proper memory function, proper circadian rhythms, and good sleep. GABA, because it inhibits the amygdala, also has been shown to inhibit pain and fear.

Low protein diets enhance GABA production.
    One particularly powerful animal study showed the complex relationship between protein restriction and GABA. The researchers were interested in longevity, which is a topic for a whole other slew of posts, but the high GABA activity that manifests as a result of protein restriction applies equally well to mental health. Aging rats, when eating a lower protein diet, saw a long-term elevation of GABA activity. This increased the functioning of the rats’ immune systems as well as prolonged their lives. A high protein diet had the exact opposite effect. Another study found the same effect, except that both young and old rats saw the highest GABA activity on a low protein diet. These studies are conducted over weeks and months and years. What this means is that over time, a lower protein diet is optimal for GABA activity in the brain. This helps with aging, with immune function, and presumably with mood disorders.

The fact of increased GABA activity, along with having the lowest cortisol response to a meal, means that a lower protein diet may be optimal for some people’s mental health. The cortisol response is immediate; the GABA activity, also immediate, but it’s also more important on long time scales. The best way to move forward with this information is to just be cognizant of mood throughout the day. Is heart-rate spiking, or the mind racing, after a high protein meal? On a day with a particularly high protein intake? Try mitigating this by spreading protein intake out throughout the day, instead of eating it all at once. Or try keeping the absolute total to a minimum. Most people recommend .5 g of protein per lean pound of body weight, and I stand by that as well. It’s important both in the hour-by-hour day-to-day, as well as for long term mental health.

Of course, protein is also essential for mental health. I mentioned above that amino acids make up and heavily influence neurotransmitters. This is true. It is only an imbalance that can do real harm. For this reason, the best bet is to eat a sufficient amount of protein, and feel the way forward cautiously, respecting the individuality of each person’s needs.

for the links - http://www.paleoforwomen.com/protein-cortisol-and-gaba-why-moderating-protein-reduces-anxiety-and-lengthens-life/
  • healthyliving4mee
    Options
    Interesting about the anxiety :/ I guess I might not have to worry about having so much protein after all because I'm already taking anti depressant/anxiety meds! So I don't need anymore "mood swings." My thoughts can have a mind of their own!