Amount of weight to start with?

Options
For someone who is just starting weight training (going from zero weight lifting/exercise to a regular routine), how should you judge how much weight to work with? Should you immediately start with something you can barely lift, or should you work up to that first? I know the former is how you get any results, I just don't want to hurt myself by doing too much too soon (if that's possible). Any advice would be great.

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    You should start light... something you can do pretty easily. Add weight when your form is good. Then you can work up to heavy lifting.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Honestly you can start just about anywhere. Go really light and work on your form more than anything else. And you're going to be sore even with the super light weights, so there's really no reason to overdo it starting out. Once you have your form down and your routine is set start adding weight each week.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Start with a weight you know you can handle until you find one that you have trouble with the last reps. When I try a new exercise and am unsure of what weight I could handle, I will start one set with something fairly light and see how I do. The next set I will go a bit heavier, same with the next set, until I have a weight that I can get 8-12 reps out and struggle on the last.
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    As said above work on form first and add weight as you start to get a better idea of what you can lift. Eventually you'll need to spend more time worrying about the actual weight you are lifting. My best suggestion would be to start with a trainer who can help you build a workout routine and show you the proper form for each exercise.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    ive heard 2-3 sets of 6-10 reps of 60%-80% of the max weight you can lift once.

So i can bench say 120 once. i do 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps of 85-90 pounds. (which is closer to 80% , so you have some play there)
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Dav is right imo, I'm still some what of a novice to lifting with a lot of weight to lose but have been lifting a year and seen some good results. Don't focus on the weight too much rather than the form, there are mirrors all over gym's for that reason. Good form and lighter weights will get better results than bad form with higher weights. Everyone will have their opinions on reps but a common one is 8 -10 reps for size and 12 - 15 to go lean, last 3 reps need to be hard but not quite to failure.

Everyone is different so just find your own rhythm that works for you, I lifted lighter than I could until my form was half decent, then started upping the weights.

Hope this helps,

Ben.
  • Kkleo2102
    Options
    Start with light weights. Like the 2-5 pound free weights and 10 - 15 pounds on the machines (Quick tip, free weights are better than the machines). Start with 3 reps of 12. Work on your form first. If you don't have good form, when you add more weights you can seriously hurt yourself. Once your form is good, then start adding more weights.

If you do a move that seems too easy at first, finish your reps. If you're not feeling sore and it's not a struggle in that last set then you need to use heavier weights. Try and stick to the range of 2 - 15 pounds. Also, try out resistance bands. They're awesome.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Start with the empty bar (45lbs) and work up from there.
    If the bar is too much, try to find a lighter fixed bar.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Honestly you can start just about anywhere. Go really light and work on your form more than anything else. And you're going to be sore even with the super light weights, so there's really no reason to overdo it starting out. Once you have your form down and your routine is set start adding weight each week.

Agreed^
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Start with the empty bar (45lbs) and work up from there.
    If the bar is too much, try to find a lighter fixed bar.
    this!

if the standard olympic sized 45 pound bar is too much then start with one of those weighted body bars and get your form down perfect. from there, you can use one of the shorter lady bars (i have no idea what they are called, but they are shorter than the standard oly sizes and weigh about 25 pounds) and add weight to that until you get to 45 pounds and can start working on the oly size
  • sinkinsuckout
    sinkinsuckout Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice! Very helpful.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    When I had a trainer she said to do 3 sets of 15 at a weight you start to struggle a bit at rep 12 or 13. By the 45th one, you should be glad it is over:wink:

Now for me right now a bicep curl at 10 pounds does that. For you at a younger age 10 pounds may be nothing. You have to test yourself and move up honestly once you can do 15 with ease.

This is really basic, but has helped me thru the years.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Pick out some weight that you know is light. Do some reps (around 5 let's say), concentrating closely on your form. Add 5 or 10 or 15 or 20 lbs and repeat. Keep adding weight until the form starts to break down and/or 5 reps is a challenge. Right around there should be your starting weight.

As a beginner you should be doing a full body compound lifting program that revolves around squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press. Look into Starting Strength and save yourself months of trial and error.
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    If you are doing a barbell routine, the bar.

Global answer:
    "The weight you should use is the weight you can preform the desired amount of reps with, with good form, over the desired amount of sets while still remaining a challenge."

I like to give myself a rep range (ie; 8-12, 10-15, 15-20) and weekly either increase my weight (2.5-5lbs increase) or reps with the previous weight.