Pullups when overweight

Options
Hi friends. I know I've been an *kitten* on here lately but I'm turning it around - apologies if I've done your heads in!

I want to be able to perform pullups and chin ups but I am two stone overweight. I have tried negative reps on these (3 x 5) but I was still sore four days after and my next training day I could only stand the pain (muscle soreness) enough to do 3 x 1 negs. I am concerned I will be heading for a pulled muscle continuing with this.

As a warm up to pullups I do 3 moderate (3 x 8) sets of dumbbell bent over rows so I am not going in cold.

The soreness was not in the biceps or back lats - it was in the connective muscle at the back of the armpit between the triceps and the upper lats.

I am considering using the reverse body row (pulling up to a low bar with back to the floor and legs/core straight) but not sure how it relates to pull ups - surely couldn't hurt if it strengthens the back generally?

I don't have access to a lat pulldown machine and my spare time is spent at Yoga :bigsmile: so I prefer to workout at home with a pullup bar and dumbbells. Yoga is limited in movements which develop the pulling side of the body so I feel pullups would be a great addition to my practice routines.

I know the best thing I should do is lose weight and that is why I am here, but I would appreciate any tips to develop my strength until I can actually handle my own bodyweight.

I want to stress - I don't think bodyweight moves are superior to weights but they do feel more like the Yoga movements I prefer to perform.

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I was just reading / viewing videos abou this. There is a thread here on pull ups and several videos on YouTube in assisted pull-ups.

Need motivation? From Mehdi: http://youtu.be/j3MTqRWPiZU
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I was just reading / viewing videos abou this. There is a thread here on pull ups and several videos on YouTube in assisted pull-ups.

Need motivation? From Mehdi: http://youtu.be/j3MTqRWPiZU

Thanks, yes I saw this on You Tube and similar stuff has been the motivation behind my preferred physical culture - once I get this thirty year old fat back off!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Yoga?

start with let-me-ups.
    then do negatives
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Inverted rows or negatives work well.

And of course as you lose weight (and hopefully gain strength) it will become easier and easier. Be wary though...once you do your first pull up, you'll want to do more and more and more and more with more weight. They're addicting.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have used this site for pull ups and found it helpful

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/04/25/do-a-pull-up/
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    Have you tried Yoga?

start with let-me-ups.
    then do negatives

Never live that one down will I :bigsmile: there's not a lot of pulling in Yoga, unless you count pulling on the opposite knee to increase a waist twist. Plenty of pushing though so I am trying to maintain a balance of push-pull.

Thanks for the tip Let Me Ups are what I am calling the reverse body row (or inverted row). You can make the exercise harder by slowig it down and making sure your core is fully engaged. I'll give this a go until I ditch some of the weight.
  • weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I started out doing Let me In's and push ups, slowly strengthening my upper back and arms that way before I progressed to overhead bar pull ups. You've got the right attitude- lots of warm up before doing them. Good luck
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    One set of negatives per workout is enough, and I wouldn't do them more than once per week. Negatives are a potent, advanced training technique that will leave you very sore. A little goes a long way.

In this instance, chin ups are preferable to machines. Lat Pull downs really don't get you as ready to do pull ups as you would hope. Keep working at the regular pull up, even if all you can do right now is 3 sets of 2. It will increase rapidly. You can also be spotted easily to do more assisted reps. They can push your back or bend your knees and the can hold your feet/ankles.

Also try:

Y
    O
    G
    A
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    "also try YOGA" :laugh: :flowerforyou: