Over 40 and had a kid!

Options
Hi all --

I wanted to start a thread for parents who had kids in their 40s because being 40+ and +40 pounds isn't easy! I had my first kid, the old-fashioned way, last year at 43. And it's been amazing, exhausting and all-together wonderful so far. My son is the best thing that every happened to me, so I want to make sure I'm not the worst thing that ever happened to him! Gotta take care of my health.

I'd love to hear from other folks who became parents in their 40s (first or last!) to share and support each other. I know that, in my house, eating comes after the baby's needs are covered, which means I sometimes eat whatever is quick (= not healthy) at 9:00 or 10:00 at night after he's down. Oh boy, not good.

So, welcome and please, introduce yourselves!

Replies

• Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I had my son when I was almost 39, and I was 150 pounds overweight. I was miserable. I couldn't crawl around on the floor with him, and the physical strain was pretty rough on my body. He preferred my husband and my mom over me because they could actually do things with him. I decided to have LapBand surgery so I could lose weight, for him and for me. I still have 100 pounds to go, but I'm much more active now and am jogging about every other day. The difference is amazing. I think the weight was harder to deal with than my age. My son is 5 now, and I'm almost 43, and yes, I can keep up with him! It also helps that my mom lives with us and helps out tremendously.
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    interested to read what people have to say on this..
  • Foie_gras
    Foie_gras Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    interested to read what people have to say on this..

Having kids over 40 or stomach band surgery? Or something else?

Having kids later is a fabulous thing. I am sure that having kids early is fabulous, too. We are more settled now than when we were in our 20s or even 30s; the downside is that we definitely have less energy!
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I have tremendous respect and admiration for those having kids over 40! I will be 40 in a month and the very idea of having a baby at my age is exhausting! My son is 21 and I could be a gramma anytime. But I will love every minute of it!
  • Foie_gras
    Foie_gras Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have tremendous respect and admiration for those having kids over 40! I will be 40 in a month and the very idea of having a baby at my age is exhausting! My son is 21 and I could be a gramma anytime. But I will love every minute of it!

My sister-in-law became a grandma at 40 too. I am sure you're going to have so much fun as a young grandma. My mom didn't hit "Nana" status until her 70s, much to her dismay.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Not sure how old your kiddo is, but we never ate that late 'just because of the baby' and her needs.
    You can work around it but baby shouldn't turn your life upside down when it comes to eating