Butternut squash, Apple and Corn soup

Options
nortx
nortx Posts: 130
There are many recipes for butternut squash soup and all of them call for a final puree by blender, food processor or immersion blender. Love the soup, but dislike the baby food texture. I prefer to shred the squash and add an apple which gives the soup a wonderful mouth feel. It is thick and has a velvety texture with a wonderful sweetness from the addition of the apple and creamed corn.

I have more pictures of this soup preparation on my MFP gluten and dairy free blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/nortx

sac2.jpg

Butternut squash, Apple and Corn soup

Ingredients:

- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 TBSP. margarine (I use a dairy free margarine)
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1 - 1 1/4 lbs), peeled and cut into chunks to fit into a food processor fitted with a shredding blade
- 1 Honey Crisp apple, cut into quarters and peeled
- 1 14 oz. can chicken broth (or homemade)
- 1 14 oz. can creamed corn
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. ground ginger (season to your taste)
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. white ground pepper (season to your taste)
- salt if desired

Preparation:

1. Cut the squash in half, then quarters and remove seeds. Peel the outer skin. I stick a metal skewer into the piece and then use my potato peeler. (see pic)
2. Cut the apple into quarters, seed and peel.
3. In a medium soup pot, place the margarine and shallots and saute until they have softened and are translucent.
4. Using a shredding disk in your food processor, shred the squash and apple and add to the pot once the shallots are ready.
5. Add the chicken broth, ginger and pepper. If your squash is large, you may need 2 cans of broth.
6. Allow to simmer gently for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the shreds have softened and the soup has thickened and adjust the seasonings.
7. Add the can of corn and stir and simmer for another 5 minutes until ready.

Enjoy!:flowerforyou:

Nutrition as prepared per serving: Makes about 6 servings

Calories - 133
Sugar - 11
Sodium - 415
Carbs - 29
Potassium - 514
Protein - 3

Replies

• nortx
    nortx Posts: 130
    Options
    Just wanted to post that this was even more delicious the next day. Recipe is quick and easy and freezes great.

Enjoy!
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the recipe! I love making soup with butternut squash but I am one of those people that makes it smooth with my immersion blender....... I always use granny smith or other tart apples in mine, but I have not added corn. Good idea, I am going to have to try to 'fuse' the recipes. Also I am vegetarian and always just use vegetable stock in my soups but that is an easy adjustment :smile:
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Totally unrelated, but I just bookmarked your blog, I made your smashed potatoes the other day and now that's the only way I want to eat potatoes ever again!
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    thanks, gonna try it soon
  • urasweethart
    urasweethart Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thnak you so much I have been looking for a butternut squash soap recipe from a real person
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    That sounds really good! I'm going to have to try it.
  • mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bump!