Breakfast Quinoa idea's

Options
vicky1804
vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
Iv decided to give quinoa a go and iv found a few recipes.
I was however wondered if anyone would like to share any recipes they like?
Also is it possible to make a large batch and re heat during the week?

Thanks

Replies

• finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    Funny you should ask this now! I just found one a few days ago and made it for the first time. Here is the original recipe (from allrecipes.com):

Quinoa Pudding

Recipe makes 6 servings

1 cup quinoa
    2 cups water
    2 cups apple juice
    1 cup raisins
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 teaspoonground cinnamon, or to taste
    salt to taste
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions

1. Place quinoa in a sieve and rinse thoroughly. Allow to drain, then place quinoa in a medium saucepan with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover pan with lid, lower heat, and allow to simmer until all water is absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.

2. Mix in apple juice, raisins, lemon juice, cinnamon, and salt. Cover pan and allow to simmer for 15 minutes longer. Stir in vanilla extract. Serve warm.

When I made it I didn't have any apple juice, so I substituted one cup of skim milk, and one cup of water with a tablespoon of honey mixed in it. I also added an additional teaspoon of vanilla. I think next time I'll just make it 2 tablesppons of vanilla, which I really like. I've also gotten some apple juice now so I can make it as the recipe calls next time.

I liked this. If you eat it plain, as I did the first time, you may find it a little tart with the lemon juice. The web site recommends serving it with maple syrup. I didn't have any maple syrup, but the first time I had it for breakfest, I warmed it for a minute in the microwave and added a tablespoon of pancake syrup. It made a huge difference! The little bit of sweetness blended well with the tartness of lemon. I think it would also be good with brown sugar or your favorite jam. The best thing about this breakfast was that it was very filling; I was not hungry again for quite awhile afterward. It also reheats very well.

One other tip: Make sure you rinse your quinoa well before cooking; it's naturally acidic, so that will affect the taste.
  • Cole114a
    Cole114a Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It can be reheated easily. I use my leftovers for breakfast sometimes, warm it up, put a little truvia over it and slice a banana into it. Very delicious! There is also a pizza bite recipe I just made with it that was really good, http://www.fitsugar.com/Gluten-Free-Quinoa-Pizza-Bites-21988461.
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I found this page on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/pages/Quinoa-Corporation/139850262711876?fref=ts

I've found some good recipes on here.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Bump as I like Quinoa
  • ihave42cats
    Options
    here is my recipe i made today

apple cinnamon (pecan) breakfast quinoa for one

1/4 c quinoa
    1/2 c 1% milk
    1/2 apple diced
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp brown sugar

steps: combine ingredients in a 1 qt sauce pan. bring to a boil then reduce heat down to medium lowish (just as if you were making rice) cook for 15 minutes, or until mixture has absorbed all liquid, and can be fluffed with a fork

optional: add 1 tbs chopped pecans and 1/4 cup 1% milk when its done (in your bowl)

reminds me of oatmeal, but without the slimy mushy texture. i also didn't rinse my quinoa, i didn't notice a difference, but the brand i bought said it was already washed (??)

next time i might try it with uncooked apples. they turned mushy. but if you like that, they will be great.
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I add a couple of cinnamon sticks to the water before I boil it....adds a great flavor and smell!!

I eat is as is, mixed in my yoghurt and it's great! Keeps me so full for so long!!
  • trinityrecgirl
    Options
    Interesting ideas. I have only had quinoa once, but liked it. May have to try some of these recipes. Thanks!
  • ATXrunner
    Options
    I love to put it in an omelette along with leftover veggies or fresh greens (like spinach, arugula or kale) and some sriracha sauce. But I'm prefer savory to sweet... I have used quinoa in pancakes, which turned out pretty tasty!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    scrambled eggs, veggie sausage, spinach, soy sauce, cooked quinoa.
  • desirae1983
    desirae1983 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Melodypharmon
    Options
    Quinoa is my go to food! I make a big batch to keep in the fridge. I usually cook up 3-4 cups of quinoa. I will add onions (while still warm). Then whatever veggies I want as well. I usually add cucumber, green peppers, tomato, a few different kinds of canned beans. Maybe some chicken breast. Every time I make it it is different. I will usually make an easy dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, and honey. Add whatever spices I want. Then I just keep it in my fridge. It can be eaten warm or cold. Keeps my family fed all week when we don't want to fix anything.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't much like quinoa - the best recipe I've found is to combine 50% cooked quinoa with 50% breadcrumbs, herbs and pepper, use to stuff portabello mushrooms (wipe the outside of the mushrooms with a little olive oil) top with a little strongly flavoured grated cheese and bake for about 20 mins. Very low calorie,and easy.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • prinlea2000
    prinlea2000 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've ever had quinoa before but have a box sitting in my pantry. I have heard good things about it from friends so I figured I'd buy some but have yet to try it.

Sounds like there are plenty of options on what to do with it & some good suggestions here.
  • DarbyBrion
    DarbyBrion Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I bought the Archer Farms Quinoa at Target and made the recipe on the back of the bag. It has black beans, corn and red pepper in it. I liked it with a little tabasco on it. It made a huge batch and was great as leftovers either cold or warmed up! I love seeing all the other ideas of what you can do with it!
  • iryshjones
    iryshjones Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    never thought of it for breakfast .. thx!
  • FireSwan
    FireSwan Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Ditto the others on using Quinoa for breakfast. When fresh peaches are in season, I cook them then just before they are done I add chopped peaches, a little cream and cinnamon. delish!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I always love to get new quinoa ideas, too.
  • sujenwujen
    sujenwujen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 1Celticgal
    1Celticgal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is such a versatile grain. You can pretty much add whatever you want to it. Also, you can use broth instead of water to cook it, and you can freeze it once you've made it. (The texture slightly changes once it's thawed, but adding corn, black beans, or whatever ingredient you have should on hand, should still make it come out okay).

I've substituted quinoa for bulgar wheat in tabbouleh. Here's a recipe you might consider: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aarti-sequeira/quinoa-tabbouleh-recipe/index.html