talk to me about Leptin...

Options
I am new to MFP and log religiously.I started on my doctor's suggestion since I have had a small weight gain this year and she thinks I am not accurately reporting my intake but have never been more careful with what I eat. I am never hungry when I wake up but make sure I eat something by mid-morning-usually organic seven grain oatmeal. Lunch is usually fruit and fat free Greek yogurt plus some almonds, dinner lean meat, salad, veggies. I rarely ever have a soda or processed foods, drink water all day. Dessert only on special occasions. I am a physical therapist so am on my feet moving and exercising all day with my patients and have a busy home life with 2 teenagers. I do not wish to get beat up here as I have seen how things seem to go but I have been coming in around 1000 cals a day. Logging has been an eye opener for me.
Having read a bit about leptin, is this a reason I never really feel hungry, how does one reset sensitivity to it?

Replies

• W2obx
    W2obx Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Found this on a website:

Too much dieting inhibits leptin secretion. In fact, drastic reductions in caloric intake reduce leptin levels, faster than could be explained by body fat losses (the same goes for overfeeding, which increase leptin levels faster than can be explained by body fat gain). This can make getting really lean really difficult – the leaner you get and the less you eat, the lower your leptin gets and the more your appetite increases. Anyone who’s dieted knows that sheer intellectual willpower cannot win out against the hormonal urge to eat. Hormones always win.

Seems like if you take in less calories than needed to sustain a good metabolism the leptin level drops significantly which affects the hypothalamus or the metabolic rate.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-hormones-of-bodyweight-regulation-leptin-part-1.html

This a link to a 6 part series about leptin. TL;DR version - occasionally eat a high calorie, high carb (in form of starch) meal (or day).

Based on just what you posted here, it sounds like you eat relatively low carb. An occasional carb refeed may help you.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    The higher levels of leptin found in obesity fail to increase metabolic rate or decrease appetite enough to prevent or reverse weight gain.

Look at the forest, not the trees. :)
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    The higher levels of leptin found in obesity fail to increase metabolic rate or decrease appetite enough to prevent or reverse weight gain.

Look at the forest, not the trees. :)

I agree with your post; I read the OP not as blaming leptin for the weight gain, but for the suppressed appetite. Making it in turn hard to eat a more reasonable calorie intake.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I get that, but still believe deficiencies in leptin secretion are a rare cause of human obesity or suppressed appetite. :)