Late night cravings! HELP

Options
2»

Replies

• taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    just dont keep all the junk food in the house! only keep healthy stuff and once your body gets used to clean eating your cravings will change! i used to eat evrything chocolate,donuts,muffins,candy bars.. all that DAILY. and now thinking about that stuff kinda grosses me out:P i also found that when i have not eaten enough food i tend to crave more junk food....so make sure your eating enough! idk your calories...but 1,200 is NOT enough
  • RNTanya
    RNTanya Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just read an article that said late night cravings can be attributed to a Vitamin B deficiency. Eat chicken or fish for dinner (high in B12) and see if that helps. My husband buys my favorite chocolate Toblerone but he keeps it hidden where I can't find it. Each night if I have a craving (and I do) he gives me one small triangle and I savor it. About 40 calories.
  • RNTanya
    RNTanya Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Protein is awesome for cravings esp. cheese sticks for me. With increased exercise the body wants protein instead of sugar.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth, drink 16 oz of water, then do 10 or 20 situps to reconnect me with my body and my goals. Then I wait 15 minutes if I still want it I enjoy it. But 99% of the time the craving is gone and I feel empowered by the experience.
  • sandyjeffery
    Options
    Yes, I always get the urge to eat late at night while watching TV or reading. I am so good during the day, but nights are my weakness. I have recently also quit smoking, so I have double trouble at night. I try to eat smart-pop popcorn, carrot sticks, apples, grapes or I eat a couple of tablespoons of organic or natural peanut butter. It really seems to help.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    make sure your diet is good, and that your dinner has a good protein in it. protein keeps us fuller for longer.

when i first started, i had issues too with snacking at night- sometimes i still do! what i do is eat ice blocks. those kids popsicles are great. there's only about 30 cals in them, and you can spend forever eating them. and you can have a few. they're enough to curb the sweet craving, and cold enough to stop you wanting biscuits afterwards if that makes any sense. i also always have a few hard boiled eggs in the fridge ready to go- i've found that really useful too. if i'm hungry (esp when i've just got home from work and have to wait for dinner) i eat one of those little suckers. boiled eggs are a good healthy source of protein that will stop you feeling like you want to munch other stuff.
  • tdotali
    tdotali Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If you know food is there, you are going to eat it so help yourself out and throw it away. If it's not there you can't eat it.
    If you have a partner that isn't onboard with you and your lifestyle change, ask him to hide it from you and to not eat it in front of you.

But to satisfy that desire for something in my mouth, what helps me is herbal tea! My personal fave is called Forever Nuts by David's Tea. There's so many flavours available that you're bound to find one you like. Also if you still have super cravings - have a square of dark chocolate with your tea. Helps me every time :)
  • Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    not being a smartass...

go to bed.

sleep is an important part of a healthy lifestyle.

This! Brush your teeth and go to bed!
  • usafbeach
    usafbeach Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I roll over and wake up my husband. Soon the food cravings are forgotten....

Awesome...
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Every night I allow myself an ice cream cone from Mcdonalds. Only 150 calories. Makes me happy.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    they don't necessarily go away, you just get bored with being fat and learn to enjoy the "bad" food when you do decide to eat it, and have enough reason to not eat something that's not in your calories the other times.

-or-

eat most of your calories at night, skip breakfast (or have a light one) you don't gain FAT w/ eating at night, it's about calories, less when you eat them