1200 Cal Diet. No exercise.

Does this work or will it back fire.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    That depends. 1200 calories is fine goal for some people, typically smaller women. For others, they should be eating more. It's impossible to answer without knowing your stats.
    If you just want to do 1200 without accounting for BMR and TDEE - Some people can be satiated at 1200, others, like myself, would fail miserably trying to maintain that. For me, if its too hard, I won't maintain it and will gain it back. But if it is something that you can maintain, that's different.
    As for the no exercise part, it is necessary to exercise to lose weight so long as you are at a deficit. There are other benefits to exercise however.
  • amateurdude
    amateurdude Posts: 44 Member
    Do exercise. It's not just about calories burnt.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    That depends. 1200 calories is fine goal for some people, typically smaller women. For others, they should be eating more. It's impossible to answer without knowing your stats.
    If you just want to do 1200 without accounting for BMR and TDEE - Some people can be satiated at 1200, others, like myself, would fail miserably trying to maintain that. For me, if its too hard, I won't maintain it and will gain it back. But if it is something that you can maintain, that's different.
    As for the no exercise part, it is necessary to exercise to lose weight so long as you are at a deficit. There are other benefits to exercise however.

Whoops, too late to edit but that was supposed to read it ISN'T necessary to exercise.
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Imo, almost any diet will work, but I seriously doubt this will be a sustainable plan for you. If you really aren't able to exercise due to medical reasons, it might be your best bet, but if you are physically capable of any exercise, please do it. There are tons of benefits to exercise, other than weight loss.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Does this work or will it back fire.
    Plenty of evidence of people losing weight, whether it "backfires" depends to some extent on self control etc - a very large % of dieters of all types regain their lost weight.

1200 may be too high for some. A third of it should be protein.
  • It does work trust me i've done it but the end result wasn't what I wanted
    I suppose it depends on what you want at the end but I wanted to be toned and instead I just looked thin but flabby the size 10s fitted but I still wasn't happy
    x