How to Stick with It

Options
I can never stick with anything. I get into it for a few weeks and then I stop logging my food or exercising. How do I start and stick with my routine long enough to see the results I am looking for? I always find excuses and I can't figure out the psychology behind my inability to stick with any routine. Not to mention, as soon as I say I am going to reduce my portions and eat clean I feel constantly hungry and crave everything from chocolate to chips and other carbs. What do I need to do to get to the point where I can see results?

Replies

• curliegirl
    Options
    You have to find your WHY. It has to be big enough to convince you that you can stick to it. I struggle with this too! Right now my why is my pants don't fit & I'm sick of feeling so bloated and fat. Some weeks are easier than others. ((hugs))
  • a_stone_girl_dances
    Options
    I highly suggest not being so structured. This has worked for me as I quit good habits very easily, too. I was all about exercising for a while, then stopped. I replaced the elliptical with walking when I can and watching my calories more to balance it out. I still go over my calories every few days, but ensure there's still days that I'm on point. Find out what works for you, go at a slow pace and forgive when you slip up. Best of luck.
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The trick for me was to just get back on the horse every time I slipped off. I had a really hard time sticking to this when I first tried it. This time around, I've had rough patches, but I just keep climbing back on. Even if I realize in the middle of the day that I've slipped up, I'll track what I remember, and go from there. Or if it's just a matter of crappy eating & no exercise, I'll just recommit right then & there. No day is a total loss! It takes time to develop a habit, and this one can be tedious and bothersome. After awhile, it starts to feel like second nature. Just keep coming back at it!
  • justmarried15
    justmarried15 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've never stuck with anything as long as I have stuck with this (over 3 months!). I feel pretty good about that, but it's still a struggle. I have to say I like logging the food and I let myself go over my cals here and there. If it comes down to having a piece of chocolate or getting discouraged/feeling limited and quitting, then I'd rather just have the chocolate.
    My progress has been incredibly slow and I don't feel like I have much to show for my commitment, but I'm getting there.

Add me if you'd like some support.

Good luck keeping with it :)
  • JenMcCrory
    JenMcCrory Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm the same find 6 weeks is normally the point I give up because I start to see a difference and then think oh I can go crazy now cos I look better and find it so hard to get back on again.

This time I am determined to stick with it finding MFP really helpful because honestly having to log a day of junk would make me so embarresed and everyone here is so supportive and doing so well I think if they can do it so can I.

I suggest when you try to cut portions and eat clean that you allow yourself a small treat every day to curb the cravings and then everytime you think you want something just think of the treat you're gonna have later.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I can never stick with anything. I get into it for a few weeks and then I stop logging my food or exercising. How do I start and stick with my routine long enough to see the results I am looking for? I always find excuses and I can't figure out the psychology behind my inability to stick with any routine. Not to mention, as soon as I say I am going to reduce my portions and eat clean I feel constantly hungry and crave everything from chocolate to chips and other carbs. What do I need to do to get to the point where I can see results?

What's your pay off for quitting before carrying things to term?
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    What is your height and goal weight? Every time you are tempted by over-eating, ask yourself "Am I there yet?" If the answer is no, think about how much LONGER you will have to restrict calories to get there if you eat that. It's not fun eating on a deficit and getting back to maintenance should happen as soon as possible. That being said, eating healthful food does not mean you can't have small portions of the taste you are craving. Just don't eat them as a meal, eat as slow as possible so your brain really registers that you've had it. I remember polishing off a whole bag of cookies for example and thinking I'm not even tasting this any more. Don't do that :P
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I have ADHD, always have... notorious for NOT sticking to anything.... like ever. Till now. I made a plan.... then I made sure I stuck to it.... no excuses. Workout everyday.... even when I'm still trying to talk myself out of it, log my food.... easy done...... cont the calories each time.... boring but MUST be done or working out & logging are pointless.

Make a WRITTEN goal & written plan.... sway off it & scold yourself.... make it really tough on you. That's what I do. If I don't want to workout...I make myself feel guilty for not doing it yet, or even more drastic... slap myself into it.... yep full on face slap. I guess I'm just tough like that & know that I'm naturally lazy.

Forget motivation.... forget thinking "oh I'd love to be there BUT....." Like Nike say.... Just do it. Slap yourself into knowing you HAVE to do it. I HATE working out you know that? I'd rather sit down & play minecraft all day. I hate cleaning, I hate eating like this.... I really despise it. But I make myself feel bad for thinking like that, because it IS worth it in the end. If you are strong, you get there faster than you think. 37 weeks today I been at this...I'm ready to maintain cause I got to my goal weight..... that was fast because I did it this way.

Be a ***** on yourself.