To those who had/have 100 lbs to lose

Options

Replies

• Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I was 32 and my idea of exercise was walking from class to class on campus prior to getting in shape.

I started by playing wii fit games and just dance and doing a little stair stepper I got from Target 3-4 nights a week. I really only did about 5 minutes the first few times on the stair thing but I would add a minute per time I used it. Then I started walking my dog for a mile and still doing the other stuff. After a few months I started using the gym on campus bc it was part of my tuition anyway.

After awhile I started taking classes at a gym I got a trail membership on groupon for. Groupon is also how I found the classes I do now. But I would say my exercise was really light for about the first 40 pounds. Now I just kill it =) good luck.
  • Tishy78
    Tishy78 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I also have knee issues (even before I was heavy), so I started with 15 mins on the eliptical every other day. As I've progressed, I have added time or resistance and just keep going as hard as I can.
  • Primrose1960
    Primrose1960 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • remisenforme
    remisenforme Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I started on the exercise bike. Then I added the elliptical and weights. It was tricky to go for 20 minutes when I started (in August) but I just did an hour on the elliptical yesterday (October) with no problem... and felt amazing after! It really does build up quickly once you start :) Good luck!
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm almost a third of the way through my journey to lose 120 pounds. The first 20 or so I did with almost no "exercise." Then I started walking a couple of days a week 20-30 minutes at a time. Now I'm up to exercising 6 days a week. I'm walking 30-60 minutes most days, and have started C25K (On day 4).

I have not done a whole lot of strength training yet, not because I don't want to, but because I have not built it into my routine yet.

Now that the winter rainy season is upon us, I'm probably going to start going to Jazzercise a couple days a week instead of walking outside.
  • amateurdude
    amateurdude Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    some audio books and alot of walking.
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I didn't start exercising until I was about 45lbs down. I wasn't able to really do anything for more than 5 minutes before I was winded and worthless.

When I was about 45lbs down, we bought an elliptical and I worked out on it in the comfort of my home. I also picked up a cheap set of resistance bands and used them to start out.

Now that I'm where I want to be, I work out at a gym four days a week.
  • loner_nell
    loner_nell Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well I started with walking the first few times I was trying to lose weight.
    I'm trying again and now there's a , shall we say, dog problem. Neighborhood dogs loose everywhere that chase everything, I'm leery since I saw 8 of them all circled around a horse being ridden, barking and nipping, so I am not doing that.
    On Discovery Fit and Health, every day Bodies in Motion with Gilad comes on. I am trying to work out with that, I can generally, but I used to do every day and got burned out, so this time I figured 3-4 times a week till I am doing better. I know it's only 20 minutes if you fast forward commercials, or just sit though commercials(I'm not), but it's hard for me, and people always tell me I'm not doing enough, which is discouraging. My doctor said it's good though...
    I just tell myself to do it, I have not found a fun exercise yet. Dancing isn't fun for me, walking isn't bad, but also not fun and there's other problems. Biking has the same problem as walking on this road. No pool and I loathe public pools, I don't like people to see me in not many clothes :/
    It's all work for me, so it's just try and keep myself doing it.
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I still have about 100 to lose. When I started trying to lose weight 3 years ago I just walked. At first I couldn't do more than 15 minutes without having back pain, but I very quickly worked up to walking an hour, 4-6 times a week.

When the weather isn't suitable for walking I will do a low impact aerobic DVD or walking DVD. I'm also looking into starting with some weight training.
  • Marie294
    Marie294 Posts: 304
    Options
    I have lost almost 60 pounds with 40 more to go. I started by counting calories and watching what I ate, then I slowly started eating healthier foods and learning a lot more about what I ate. (Lost about 30 pounds that way) Then after about 4-5 months I started walking... 15 minutes at first, then longer when I could.... Just signed up for the gym a couple weeks ago, and I am finally (for literally the first time in 29 years) starting to enjoy exercise. It took me a long time to get to the part where I can now enjoy it :)

My advice is to start slowly, don't try to do everything perfect at once. :) It takes a while to learn whats best for our own bodies and it can be a trial and error process. The most important thing is to just have patience and hang in there, don't give up! You CAN do it, you can absolutely do it :)

Best of luck to you :)
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I've lost a total of 106 pounds so far. I started off with water aerobics, walking, and recumbent bike. Did Zumba Gold for a little while, and started lifting on the weight machines. Finally moved on to Zumba (love it), and working with a trainer, and free weights. Start where you can, you'll work your way up!
  • scottages
    Options
    I am two months into my weight loss and have 200 pounds total to lose. I am really out of shape and so far for exercise I am walking and rebounding. I sit all day at work and then tend to sit at home (using the computer, reading, watching tv). I invested in a FitBit and that has helped motivate me to get up and walk around more. Having something count my steps and show how sedentary my lifestyle is was a real eye opener. I live in the Northeast and walking outside is getting tougher due to the weather.

This is where my mini trampoline is coming in handy. Every 2,000 steps counted on the pedometer is 1 mile. The FitBit is really accurate counting my bounces as steps. Rebounding is gentle on my joints but does get me sweating.

Even though I am just starting my weight loss and have not yet lost a lot of pounds, I can say that I am feeling better than I did two months ago. I have picked up some hand weights and invested in some better shoes to keep me moving. As others have said, you build on your prior progress and eventually you increase your endurance.

Keep trying different things and good luck with your weight loss - I know that you can do it!
  • melindacorey
    melindacorey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started at 326 and I started excercise with walking. Just getting out and walking was a great place to start
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I started at 312 pounds, now 180ish
    I always HATED gym class!! Kids watching, making fun of me. I couldn't go to a real gym I decided!
    I started with Leslie Sanson walk away the pound dvds. 1 mile about 18 minutes of your day. It was easy because I could march at my own pace and always go back to that march when it got too tough. I was motivated to work up to her 5 mile walk so I kept at it. Also you can always mute her and just watch the dvd and listen to your own music.
    I did Curves too. The only gym I ever belonged to. Curves was mostly older women (I am in my 20s) and they were of all shapes, sizes, and fitness levels. I felt that I didn't feel...out of place? So I did Curves for about a year before I started getting interested in dumbbells.
    Now some people might say Curves doesn't really work your muscles, isn't challenging ect. but for me, Curves kept me motivating and was...that step forward or whatever. It was a starting point that I felt I could do.
  • Wolfe1759
    Wolfe1759 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am 45 now and have 103 left to lose - - I started off with 168 pounds to lose.

Because I was monstrously, morbidly obese I started off with what I could do ... in my case, 7 minutes on a recumbent bike, 5 days a week. After a while I was able to step that up to 10 minutes, then 15, etc. I took it in easy stages, though. Now, almost 9 months later, I have lost 65.5 pounds, and I am up to 40 minutes on an elliptical trainer x 6 days a week + free weights x 3 days a week.
  • HoneyIShrunktheMom
    Options
    Walk.
    I am 40 (41 next month) and I walked. Each time I would walk faster and/or farther. Also, Curves is a great place to start. Walk Away the Pounds are great indoor workouts for walkers.
    Good luck! :)
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    After watching the Biggest Loser this year, I realised one thing. Getting stuck in is not going to kill us. Those contestants were morbidly obese, and were pushed and pushed and pushed, all the while being told 'NO EXCUSE!'. And they didn't die. They didn't keel over. They could do a lot more than they truly believed they could do. And they got fit, healthy and happy.

So, with around 110lb to lose, I joined the gym straight away. And I worked my fat *kitten* off. Literally. I saw a lot of other overweight people walking around, mucking around, wasting time. Not me. I did an hour 3 times a week, and I worked every minute of it. In fact, the PT eventually got me and explained the need to rest between 'sets'. I didn't even know what a set was! She also told me to slow down on the weight machines as I was using cardio instead of strength. I found when I first started that it was almost addictive. I wanted to go back later again in the same day, and sometimes I did!

I've dropped almost 30 kilos so far (66lbs). I log my foods every day, I have really relaxed into it now, and even when I don't go to the gym I'm losing weight because I'm eating healthy, but I have to say I'm getting VERY flabby LOL. I haven't been to the gym in weeks now because of illness and some personal stuff, and although the kilos are still coming off, the flabby skin isn't!

Keeping motivated IS hard. The only suggestion I can do is to mix it up. And also, don't give up on any one thing that you consider just too hard. As you gain strength and fitness, go back to those things, you will be pleasantly surprised :)

I know there are a lot of facts on different ways of doing this, and I too have to get stuck in and re-read up on it all. I know having a day off is essential to your strength/muscle building workouts. Don't rely just on the gym. My son and I 'play tennis'. By that I mean we whack the balls around the tennis courts until I wee my pants laughing and we have to come home. We laugh hysterically and have a fantastic time. We are constantly active, we don't slack off, but it's also heaps of fun!

I'm dying for our local pool to reopen so I can include swimming in my exercise. (Summer is almost here in Australia.)

Hiking and walking is fun. Cycling? I don't own a bike, I'd probably fall off.

I also can NOT run/job. I just can't. I'm not sure what's wrong with me, but I literally go backwards when I try, and I'm still carrying too much weight to risk the damage I might do. But that's ok. We are not all meant to be runners :)

Walk the dog. If you don't have one, volunteer at your local animal refuge and walk THEIR dogs :)

Join the council walks in your area, take a refuge dog, he will love you forever!

Dig. Get out and dig a new garden bed.

Do you have a cause close to your heart? Start a petition and walk around town for signatures. Fundraise for a local charity, go out selling raffle tickets.

Park extra blocks away from work and walk there, same with shopping. Can you walk to the supermarket and have them home deliver and walk home?

I think for us bigger, middle aged woman...it's just important to 'start', and not expect too much of ourselves, but never give up! Just moving more can help, but always log every single thing you eat, because you can go over so easily and no amount of moving is going to work if you're then eating too much.

When I first started at the gym, I pushed myself and took note of what I did. I did that for a few days. Then next week, I did what I did, plus just one more. One more rep, or just one more minute. And then I continued doing that. Do what I could already do, then just one more. Also, always eat protein before you go. Not only does it help build muscle which you need to burn fat, but it keeps you fuller for longer. Don't be afraid of gaining muscle!!! I was terrified of this. In the end, I found out how misguided I was. It's essential, and no you don't bulk up even further :)

Sorry for the massive post. I hope some of these ideas help someone...
  • mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My favorite exercise is to walk uphill on the treadmill. You would be SUPRISED how fast you can burn calories when you walk uphill. I also like the stationary bike and the elliptical. My favorite thing to do when I'm not at the gym is to just take a long walk with my dog- who also needs the exercise.:smile: Good luck!
  • jenfett1
    jenfett1 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I started my journey with 110 lbs to lose and I am down 51 so far. I started by simply walking. I mapped a route in my neighborhood and would walked 2 laps ( a mile) and then each week I would add on more laps. It was hard at first but it got to the point where it was the highlight of my day. I have added in going to the gym occasionally doing Tae Bo and I try to at least every other day lift light weights to tone my arms and do ab work. I started the 30 day shred and loved it but ended up hurting my knee and was out of commission for a week. I am back on walking again...it is least impact and is actually very good for. I do also love to go swimming on the weekends. Good luck on your journey and know that you can do it, you just have to lace up your shoes and get moving. The hardest part is getting started, but once you do...it is easy from there.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    you have to be self motivated. Nobody is there to help you but yourself. It's like smoking, your body tells you "het it's time to wake up or die!"
    \
    It's not easy nor quick and you have to celebrate the little accomplishments.

I was 320 at 5'10" now 268 in 7months. Still have a ways to go but it'll get done eventually!

Take a look at my logs to see what I do and eat if you want.

By the way I am all of 53 too, lol