how do you handle a slip up or worse...a horrible food day!

Options
2»

Replies

• Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    You should never have a slip up day. Make every eating opportunity something you are in control of. If you decide to let yourself eat a pizza and ice cream, tell yourself that it is okay to eat it, but set some limits on what you will eat. It is okay to be generous, but whatever amount you agree with yourself ahead of time that you will eat, stay within that. So if you say you'll have 2 pieces of pizza and 1 scoop of ice cream, eat no more. If you say you'll eat 4 pieces of pizza and 3 scoops of ice cream, eat no more. It is all about YOU being in control of what goes in your mouth. One day of overeating is but a blip on the radar. Being in control of what you eat is the most important lesson you need to learn to maintain your weight.
  • sleepygirl38
    sleepygirl38 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a long vacation this week and I admit I thought about giving up. I ate horribly on vacation. And I just didnt want to try. But I then noticed how I started feeling sluggish liked I used to. So I am trying. And it is not all that easy because I dontt get all the support i wish i had. But I missed my walks that I had started to get in the habit of. my walks had really helped me with my and my mind. SO I am trying and it is helping
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Make peace with yourself and understand that you are not a bad person. You are a person who made a bad decision. That distinction is crucial; if you're ashamed and feel like a bad person for going over your calories, it's very easy to feel hopeless and give up. However, understanding and accepting that you made a mistake is much healthier. It allows you to forgive yourself, pick yourself up again, and get back on the wagon.

One day will not undo all of your progress, and dwelling on the extra 200 calories you ate last night (or whatever) isn't doing anyone any good. You just need to recognize what the problem is (i.e., what situations result in slipping up) and take steps to keep it from happening in the future. Do you only overeat while you're on your period? Look at what snacks you reach for and try to find or make lower-calorie substitutions or replacements. Only when you drink alcohol? Stop drinking alcohol with meals, or limit yourself to one glass of whatever you're having, with water the rest of the night. Only when you go out to eat? Try the lower-calorie menu options, or eat only half of what you're served, then take the rest home with you.
  • HMToomey
    HMToomey Posts: 276
    Options
    Call it delicious and move on! I am crazy carb girl today and am very happy! I am even planning *home-made* cinnamon buns for breakfast tomorrow! :love: Just don't tell my Zumba instructor tomorrow or she will beat me at our 10 am class! :laugh:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I have had a few days where I am left disappointed by the slip ups I had I know where all human and allowed a treat every now and then but I'm curious as to how you all handle slip ups and binge eating days???

Just forgive yourself and move on. Tomorrow is a new day. If you have a lot of stress in your life this happens a lot. I keep in mind that to complete this journey you don't have to be perfect, you just have to have more forward (deficit) days then backward or neutral days.
  • midmomike2
    Options
    I try to remember how I felt afterwards(guilt,shame,self-anger) and use it as motivation the next time that I'm tempted. That being said, don't ever get too hard on yourself and remember this is a process...it took time to put the weight on, it's gonna take time to get it off.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Try not to reward yourself with food if you accomplish something or have been eating well for a few days. Instead, make room in your new lifestyle for the foods that you love. It really isn't that strict! :)
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't binge eat, but if I go over my calorie goal for the day I shrug it off and move on. Tomorrow is another day and it's the weekly calories that really matter anyway. Over one or two days doesn't matter as long as I am at or under for the week.

It has to be a positive, sustainable lifestyle or you're doomed to fail.
  • davetheperson
    davetheperson Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way: it's about your pattern of behavior over the long term. For example, if you have a "bad eating day," after sticking to my diet plan for 2 weeks, I need to think about that as 14 out of 15 days that were "good eating days." I think that part of it is being able to admit to myself that not only did I "screw up" (or whatever you want to call it), but that it won't be the last time. Do I think that one bad day can be the start of a return to bad habits or that something is not working? Yes, but let's not make it a self-fulfilling prophesy either. Since I don't really have a life and don't get out much, I have been planning my bad eating days ahead of time. I have a Halloween party coming up, and I plan on not caring what I eat or drink that night, and that night only. The next day, I will get right back on track.

I also deliberately set my calorie goal to the most extreme level that the site allows, knowing that even if I go a little over, I'm still at a deficit by the end of the day. If I go a lot over, I can also still be at a deficit, but I have an early warning that I am getting off track, and can make adjustments before I am over-eating.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Log it honestly and completely. Seeing the numbers gross me out and help me do better. That is why logging works.

ETA: or run around the block until you burn it all back off. If I want chocolate, I hike the 1.5 miles uphill to get it. Guilt be gone! =)
  • PrettyGirlPayton
    PrettyGirlPayton Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Try to just eat what you like but fit it in your calorie goal. The best way to me is to eat seven things you like a week. Once a day that is. Just make sure it is a snack or somewhat healthy meal. Workout more if you want to cheat more. Do your workout longer or everyday. Hope I helped.
  • mag104
    mag104 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just draw a line and start again next day. \dont beat yourself up over it xx
  • shellywoodhead
    shellywoodhead Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Don't think of anything as bad ... Just some foods are better than others. It's all about balance so the odd treat isn't going to hurt you. Be honest about what you have eaten and track it because often its not as bad as you think. Seeing it in black and white puts it in perspective. Don't buy in the things that are going to wink at you from the kitchen cupboard, plan the treats for when you dine out maybe...I work on the basis of 5 really healthy eating days a week and two treat days ... And it's worked for me :)
  • loztandfound
    loztandfound Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't know if its a good idea or a not so good one, but i always have one day a week where i don't log my food. whether its because i know i will be having a naughty food day or because i just dont feel like it. On a day when i have a naughty eating day, what i do is pop on here a few times, catch up with people, post on forums, keep myself motivated and 'in touch' with stuff. then the next day i start as i mean to go on, and kick serious butt!!

feel free to add me for a bit of motivation on those rubbish days :) xx