Lean cuisine?

Options
2»

Replies

• amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why these companies that are supposedly trying to make these meals can't find a way to control the sodium content. It would certainly up the consumption of their products for those who are needing to control their sodium.
    Anyone else wonder that too?
    The salt gets addictive. Means you want to keep buying their product and other food is no longer to your taste.
    Simple business model
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    They are pretty good. They usually taste pretty much like actual food and have a lot of variety. I pick them up on sale and eat one when I don't have leftovers to take to work.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why these companies that are supposedly trying to make these meals can't find a way to control the sodium content. It would certainly up the consumption of their products for those who are needing to control their sodium.
    Anyone else wonder that too?
    The salt gets addictive. Means you want to keep buying their product and other food is no longer to your taste.
    Simple business model

The higher sodium content is what allows those meals to last so long and somehow doesn't taste half as salty as some foods I've eaten that have LESS sodium. Fortunately for me, I buy Healthy Choices (my preference over Lean Cuisine) ONLY when I know there's not enough left over from the week and when it's too close to lunch time. I've only bought a meal three times in about two months. Knowing I don't do any other high-sodium meals and snacks throughout the day, I can stay well under my 1500 mg limit (high blood pressure). I have the diabetes/high blood pressure combo, so I have to watch both carbs and sodium.
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few of them... I like the ones with pasta in it...lol I LOVED pasta and breads. I think the shrimp alfredo and the chicken caesar one are my favorites. My doctor and dietician actually suggested to try them, as I am not going to find a meal with pasta in it for under 250 calories and 30g of carbs (I'm type 1 diabetic) I don't eat them all the time but i have them on hand incase my bloodsugar starts dropping and i need to eat NOW ( 3 mins vs ?? with cooking something) When I eat them, I'll generally also have a serving of additional veggies, or i pick a fruit, and water and I'm usually satisfied with just that. Only way to know is to try them to see if YOU like them and look at the box... does it fit with your goals? Also note- i only buy the ones that are 30g of carbs or less, for obvious reasons :)
  • 80lbslost
    80lbslost Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I started eating the Safeway Eating Right version of Lean Cuisine. It's cheaper and high in protein. The downside is a lot of sodium of course so I don't eat them more than 1-2x/week.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Some of those meals are pretty tasty and they are handy for a fast on the run meal. They di tend to be high in sodium though, and abut pricy for every day. So sure, use them sometimes, but homecooked is better and usually cheaper.
  • twingirlsmommy
    twingirlsmommy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Sorry i think they're yucky and have too much salt. If you prepare something like a big salad, the possibilites are endless. You can also prepare batches of protein too. Salad and tuna, salad and a salmon burger ( I made a batch of them today), salad and a chicken breast, taco salad with extra lean ground beef and salsa and fat free sour cream. Somtiems I put craisins and sunflower seeds on my salad and have some lean pork loin on the side. You can get way more bang for your buck if you prepare stuff yourself and do a bit of planning and prep one day of the week : )
  • Desilou72
    Desilou72 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like them. I dont eat them all the time though. I have gotten the Lean pockets also and those are pretty good. I also get the Special K protein bars and those arent as bad on the gas issue. :)
  • BARBnKS
    BARBnKS Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The only frozen meals I'll buy are the Lean Cuisine Pizzas, I usually have to add a slice of canadian bacon to one before I heat it and fix a salad or some celery & carrot sticks to go with it. Too much sodium to eat vey often but good when I have that pizza craving.
  • vanillarama
    vanillarama Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I often work from 2pm to 10pm and I've never eaten a ready meal. I just make a salad with some sort of lean, already cooked protein like light feta, turkey, tofu, etc., tons of veggies, and possibly some chickpeas or lentils. Those meals are soooo full of preservatives. Someone else here suggested maybe eating your main meal at lunch...that might not be a bad idea, then pack some fruit, nuts, and a sandwich or something for dinner? I definitely understand the need for convenience, but don't deprive yourself of a healthy meal!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Do you mean 5 a.m. to 9 p.m.? If yes, that's a very long day. I would recommend a crock pot. It's an easy way to leave yourself some food cooking. If you don't want a ton of food, you can get a smaller one at Walmart and just put all the ingredients you want into it. There are lots of cookbooks out there with ideas so it may make your life a bit easier.

Actually, its 5pm to 9pm. I can't eat at work, and I can't sleep if I eat too late. I am a waitress, so I am running around and on my feet that whole time.

I'd just eat before work and have a healthy light snack after work if you're still hungry. But other than I don't usually find Lean Cuisine very filling or flavorful they're fine. High on sodium though. I like the Healthy Choice steamers a little better than the Lean Cuisine. I'd have some fresh veggies along with it to make it a more balanced meal.
  • Lee716
    Lee716 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I prefer the weight watchers smart one products vs the lean cuisine. To me they just taste better. I eat one EVERY day for lunch. I do realize that the sodium content is high but the calorie count is low and I just watch my sodium on everything else. Also, they usually have 2-3 grams of fiber, about 20 grams of protein and only 6 grams of fat on average. My favorite is the chicken fettuccine.
  • krissycupicake
    Options
    Personally, I find them delish! And I can finally eat some pasta without feeling like every noodle is stretching out my muffin top! :3 The only thing is you should deff add some extra veggies/fruits. "I feel really full after that Lean Cuisine" -said no one ever.
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    there good. but will sometimes leave me feeling hungry. but the only thing is the sodium count is a lot since it is a frozen microwaveable meal.