do you lose weight when you eat exercise calories back

Options
i know this is a hot topic, but i want your personal opinion about your own body. do you eat them back and still lose weight?

Replies

• citygirl04
    citygirl04 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    In my experience, as long as I'm building muscle yes.
  • effcla
    effcla Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do log my exercise and eat my calories back and have had a loss every week since I started the first of August. I know there are some that do and some that don't. I just know I would rather eat them and be satisfied than not and be hungry. Good luck!
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    yes.
    I eat them all back some days and on other days at least 50%
    losing weight no probs
  • Jacium
    Jacium Posts: 6
    Options
    I think it depends on the nature and intensity of the excercise being done. I do BFL, wherein there are 3 high intensity cardio workouts weekly, and 3 intense weight training sessions weekly. The cardio helps burn off fat, and the weight training builds muscle. Now, fat and muscle are hardly equivalent, and one of the key differences is that muscle is metabolic. So, lets say you're reading a book, typing a reply to this website, or some other sedentary activity. Fat will just sit there, doing nothing, But your body has to feed the muscle, whether you're using it or not. So, depending on how much the excercise is building muscle, you can get into a state of weight loss (actually more likely to be a change in body fat composition) even if you consume calories equal to those that you just burned off via excercise. This a a long-term effect, of course, you wouldn't see any change if you ran two miles and then ate three hundred calories worth of protein shake.
    Jacium
  • vickilr5
    vickilr5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are eating. If you eat whole nutrient dense foods, whole wheat bread some turkey, cheese or peanut butter/almond butter on w/wheat, fruit.......as opposed to calorie dense dense foods, then yes you can.
  • larbot3000
    Options
    As long as you maintain a caloric deficit then you will lose weight.
    If your TDEE is 2500 calories (including exercise calories) and you eat 2500 calories you will maintain.
    If your TDEE is 2500 calories including exercise calories, and you eat 2000 calories, you will lose weight
  • aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options
    I eat them back. I use Fitbit and it seems pretty accurate, so I don't mind taking the risk. I'm been losing slow and steady at about a lb or so a week.
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    For me - No, I gain weight when I do this or stay the same - I tried this for 7 months this year - following BMR and TDEE...

Now I follow a strict 1200cals a day and my weight is shifting and I have lost 25 cms in total off my body in 8 weeks
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    You WILL lose weight if you eat less than you burn off, period. It might take longer for some than others, but you will lose. It is basic science. If you eat your exercise calories, as long as you stay in deficit, you will lose over the long haul.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    My exercise calories are there so I can eat. I worry about my NET not the amount I eat. That being said now that I'm 80% of the way to my goal I've changed my goal to be only 1 pound a week and I might not be quite eating my exercise calories back.
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    Some of them I do yes, and I still loss weight.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    i know this is a hot topic, but i want your personal opinion about your own body. do you eat them back and still lose weight?

We are all different. If I ate them back I would gain weight for sure. Others need the extra to be sustainable. It really depends on what your RMR is and where you have net calories set.
  • t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I believe the exercise calories are typically overestimated and the calorie intake tends to be underestimated. So I've lost more when NOT eating them back, but I still eat at least 1500 - 1800 per day regardless.
    Maybe on workout days I'll go as high as 2200, then I don't lose much, if any.
  • Bess_74
    Bess_74 Posts: 68
    Options
    There is a really good explaination of this topic in the post titled "Links in MFP you want to read again and again." I had this same questions before and the basic answer is that you are supposed to eat back your exercise calories because your calorie deficit is figured prior to any exercise, and when you burn too many calories with out eating them back it will send your metabolism into starvation mode.
  • WhatAgirl_
    WhatAgirl_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    ya if you eat back only clean foods
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    ya if you eat back only clean foods

This makes no sense...it doesn't matter if they are clean or not...I'm sorry, but there are no peer reviewed studies that show clean v non clean when it comes to this topic making any difference.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Its in my tdee calculations... and since i prefer to lose fat and not muscle i fuel myself with 2600-2800 calories a day which is a 20% deficit below my tdee.
  • shans91
    shans91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where I read it, but a study I was reading a few weeks back said eating back exercise calories helps to maintain muscle mass - and the more muscle mass you have, the more you burn at rest. So I'd say eating back exercise calories is the way to go! I've been doing it mostly, and as you can see from my ticker I'm now pretty close to my goal weight :-) works for me!
  • shans91
    shans91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Its in my tdee calculations... and since i prefer to lose fat and not muscle i fuel myself with 2600-2800 calories a day which is a 20% deficit below my tdee.

And P.S, jealous! I get 1340 cals a day...doesn't give me much room to slip up!