numb feet

Options
not sure what category this would go in..is it just me or do everyones feet fall asleep on the elliptical...almost til they are in pain....any ideas on how to stop this..other than finding a new exercise?

Replies

• Marie294
    Marie294 Posts: 304
    Options
    My toes start to go numb when I'm on the elliptical for about a half an hour.. I wondered if this was me or if others also experienced the same thing..
  • melissa5604
    Options
    I don't think that is normal at all. First thing is your shoes..are they too tight? socks too tight?
    Are they new? If the answer to those three questions is NO , I think you should see a doctor. Sounds like a nerve issue.
  • mrso97
    mrso97 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    tingly and numb..i stay on 50 + minutes but it really starts to hurt...someone has to have suggestions to stop this!!!
  • Joanna4kids
    Joanna4kids Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Very normal. I hear this from people all the time at the gym. Mine do it also. They don't do it on the treadmill or the stair stepper.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. After about 6-7 minutes my feet were numb.

I talked to a trainer and she told me it had to do with the position of my feet which were sightly angled instead of 100% parallel. She advised making sure my feet are always parallel, plus a couple of exercises, plus stretching before and after the exercise.

I thought it she was just making **** up, but I tried it and she was right about all those things! Now I do 16 minute rounds and not a trace of numb feet.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I don't think that is normal at all. First thing is your shoes..are they too tight? socks too tight?
    Are they new? If the answer to those three questions is NO , I think you should see a doctor. Sounds like a nerve issue.
    It IS normal and common, and it has nothing to do with shoes! It is a nerve issue, in that the motion while exercising on the elliptical machine can have an effect on the nerves, creating the feeling of numbness,
  • mrso97
    Options
    I had the same problem. After about 6-7 minutes my feet were numb.

I talked to a trainer and she told me it had to do with the position of my feet which were sightly angled instead of 100% parallel. She advised making sure my feet are always parallel, plus a couple of exercises, plus stretching before and after the exercise.

I thought it she was just making **** up, but I tried it and she was right about all those things! Now I do 16 minute rounds and not a trace of numb feet.

oh thank goodness!! i will try to stretch more and watch the position of my feet...thank you!
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    yes it happens. Shift your weight. Go backwards. Keep moving and occasionally lift your feet a little.
  • mrso97
    Options
    Very normal. I hear this from people all the time at the gym. Mine do it also. They don't do it on the treadmill or the stair stepper.

thank you...i would hate to have to find something else..
  • LivingJuicy
    LivingJuicy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem for years--new shoes, old shoes, good socks, doesn't matter. I have learned to sort of shuffle and "rock" my feet occasionally during my workout to let blood flow through my whole foot.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    feet start hurting on elliptical but I think it's me doing something wrong...
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Happens to me, too, if I push off the ball of my foot. If I keep my weight on my heel, I'm fine.
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Good question, and interesting responces.
    I do good to do 10 min. . They hurt to bad to go on. so I would do the 10 min elipical 5 min on a small re bounder then jump back to the elipical for 10 then 5 more on the rebounder again...........well that is before the wagon wheel broke and I fell off.
  • mrso97
    Options
    Good question, and interesting responces.
    I do good to do 10 min. . They hurt to bad to go on. so I would do the 10 min elipical 5 min on a small re bounder then jump back to the elipical for 10 then 5 more on the rebounder again...........well that is before the wagon wheel broke and I fell off.

:laugh:
  • Chrisswa
    Options
    mine do !