Motivation while Traveling for Work, Help!

Options
Hi!

Does anyone travel for work or travel often enough that they find it difficult to stay on track with fitness/diet goals?

Does anyone have any tips? I will be going out of town (away from my kitchen and trainer) for a few weeks and do this often enough that I need tips to stay focused. I want to lose at least 5 -10 lbs in the next month.

Help?

Replies

• markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I travel every 3rd. My co-workers are pretty cool and regularly shift the 'lunch spot' to meet my food requirements. Keeping up w/ my p90x workouts is harder. I usually end up doing the cardio in my hotel room @ 5 AM. I do my best to make up any missed weight workouts friday/saturday.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Hi. I travel for a few days every other week.

I tend to travel alone so that helps. When I get into town, I find a grocery store and stock up on water, snack bars, nuts, fruit, veggies, yogurt. Some of my coworkers will buy frozen meals but I don't. I carry food in my laptop bag. I have gotten the comment that I am a walking bending machine,

When I do have eat out, I tend to stay away from pasta and lean toward seafood options. I try to find menus online :)

I like running so if I am in a good neighborhood, I run. If the area is a lil shady. I do either Insanity or other workouts in my hotel room. I am not a hotel gym fan but some of my other coworkers use them all the time, I am looking for more iPad apps for workouts so I am hoping someone gives you a few ideas.

You can do it. I am kept up my 1.2 pound loss rate even when I travel :)
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I definitely want to hear the tips of others because I seriously fail on travel.
  • nikkifk
    nikkifk Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I work away from home fairly regularly and have faced this same issue.
    Personally I find that if I plan to get some exercise while I'm away and try to make sensible food choices where I can, it sort of balances out. If you can find time for a walk or a run or even to use the gym if there is one that will help - you just need to pack some kit.

Food wise, it's hard because you don't have as much control over what there is to eat. My advice would be if it's a restaurant, then some plain chicken or steak and salad is a good bet, maybe a baked potato without butter. If it's a buffet style meal, this is going to sound a bit strange but try to walk along and look at what is on the table before you choose anything. So you can see, where the best choices are going to be - then plan in your head what your protein is going to be, then add a small amount of carbs and lots of salad or veg. I've done this several times and found it really helps. I try to avoid alcohol as well, unless I've planned for it in advance.

I also log everything on mfp, whether I'm under or over my goal for the day. Don't forget to drink lots of water as well.

Hope your trip goes well.
  • jerpmom
    jerpmom Posts: 1
    Options
    HI to you too!

I just got back from 10 days on the road. It is extremely hard to find places to eat that support your lifestyle change.

Here's what I did..... first night I went to the local market and bought a few items to pack ( and no one spent more then a moment looking at me as I unpacked and ate) for the breakfast/lunch sessions.
    Protein bars, fresh fruit, the market even had great pre-made salads, hard boiled eggs, I bought a gallon of water and kept refilling my water bottle every morning before I headed out.
    Several nights other attendees and myself went out to eat, I offered to be the DD each time that way no one nagged me about
    why I wasn't drinking or could they buy me a drink.
    The closing buffet was on the next to last evening and there was quite a spread, I headed for the table with the the veggies!
    Used salsa and humus for the veggie dips, and then I joined the dance floor AWAY from the tempting treats.
    Every night when I headed back to where I was staying, I put on the sneakers and walked the entire drive from my end building to the resort entrance, about 1.3 mi each way, enjoyed the weather, sites and smells and focused on how proud I was of myself.
    This is not to say I didn't have a few things to eat that I probably shouldn't have, but the good seemed to have overshown the bad, I came back at roughly the same weigh as I went away .
    GOOD LUCK!
    Stay strong, you can do it!
    :)
  • KetoDebbie912
    KetoDebbie912 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Great question! I travel quite a bit and it has been one of my greatest challenges. It can be done but like most things diet and fitness related, it takes planning and a serious mindset.

For starters, I pack protein bars for a quick meal or snack when I can't get real (healthy food).

If staying in a hotel with a refrigerator I will find a store and stock up on water, fruit, greek yogurt and natural peanut butter (yes yogurt and peanut butter mixed!! It's so filling and packed with protein)

Going out for meals, I always make sure to make the best possible choices. Typically, grilled protein (no oils or butters) and a steamed veggie or two. Nothing with sugar or carbs.

Lastly, If my hotel has a gym I go whenever I can for as long as I can. Often times it may only be a 20 minute workout. Make it count and work up a sweat!!!! If there is no gym, then I try to walk outside our do exercises in my hotel room. Pack a jump rope or find an exercise channel (most hotels will have one).

Anything you can do while on the road is helpful!! Even at the airport, I walk laps :)

Best of luck!
    Debbie
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    There was a period when I was barely home 2 days a week - I understand your pain. I agree with the above posters, it takes planning. I always carry protein bars and nuts so I don't succumb to junk if there are airline delays. I also started packing a resistance band as there were days that were so long that I simply did not want to go to the gym - I could use this in my room. And, the band is light enough to carry so as to not add much weight to your luggage.

Regarding motivation - if I am in the US I do check in on MFP. Even just this thought of having to be accountable helps to motivate me. I am going on a trip outside the Staes and access to MFP may be limited but the motivation is usually the people around me as the the people are usually more fit and their presence reminds me to do what I committed to myself to do.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Dyan... Great idea on resistance band. I never thought of that :)
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    great advice..Thanks
  • martintanz
    Options
    My brother travels for work almost every week and has the quadruple problem of fatigue, stress, long hours between meals, and high calorie rich restaurant food. What I gather is, he keeps a strict regimen for breakfast and lunch, and only eats half of whatever he orders for dinner (or orders an appetizer portion) because the restaurant portions are usually too large.