Runners, a question for you!

Options
Just to get it out of the way, I hate running, but I want to love it. I have no problem with high impact aerobic exercises, I can happily jump around for an hour or two, but running gets me.

I started off doing 10 mins on a treadmill at a moderate pace (10 km/hr) as a warm up, but lately I decided to build this time up and make it the core of my cardio workouts. I've upped my time to about 40 mins (usually 30+10 or 20+20), still on the treadmill as it's bouncier, not as hard as the ground (I also like to be in a controlled air conditioned environment).

My knees are starting to trouble me (knee problems are in my family), the first 2-4 mins are uncomfortable until I warm up after that I'm fine, but when I get home and relax, they get tender and stiff. Are there any warm-ups/stretches that I should do to safeguard my knee joints?

Thanks!

Replies

• salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you run, type of shoes, general fitness etc.

Also, the more excess weight you have, the harder the impact will be on your knees as running increases the effect of your weight on your knees, so stretches may not necessarily make a difference compared to dropping the weight.

I have a history of knee injuries, including surgery, so I didn't start running until I was at my ideal weight and had already gotten my fitness up through cycling. I had intense pain with my traditional sneakers and ended up switching to minimalist type with much improvement - not advocating this as a magical cure for knee pain though.

Having said that though, in relation to your question, ITB, hamstring, quad, calf stretches seem to be a popular choice among runners.
  • mybiketrip
    Options
    I've always thought I couldn't run because of bad knees, but the truth was I was trying to do too much too quickly.

I had to do 2-3 weeks of this:

10 minute walk

10 minute jog (approx 4mph)

5 minute run (it varied)

and 5 minute walk cool down.

After doing this I could run 5 miles consistently with no trouble..

the key is not doing too much too quickly.
  • _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't have any excess weight, I'm 50-51 kgs (depending on how big my dinner was). My BMI is 20.3. I guess my problem is I go too quickly, as @mybiketrip suggested. I was up from 10 to 20 mins last week. This week it's up to 40. I probably should slow down a bit :)
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I had two knee reconstructions three years ago when I was 23, so I feel your pain! But I am BIG on running! I find that having a nice bath after a run is the best way to relieve the tension I feel in my knees. Or I put a heat pack or hot water bottle on them
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges will strengthen your leg muscles and help to protect your knees.

It's important to build up your mileage slowly (10% on your longest run of the week, then drop back by 20% every three weeks).

Stretching properly afterwards helps, and if you can get a foam roller, do so. Runners World website has links to foam rolling stretches. Your IT Band (down the outside of the leg) in particular needs to be looked after as it sort of holds the knee in place.

I have a dodgy knee, but after following the above advice I have been able to build up from no running to 10-12 miles a week since the end of July. Hope this all helps.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It could also be an IT band issue which is rather common when you increase your milage. The problem actually stems on the lateral sides of your thighs. The best suggestion I have is using a foam roller to "roll" your IT bands after running. It hurts like heck but saved my life! If you google IT bands and foam roller you should find pictures and a few you tube videos showing you how to do it.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Also are you doing this everyday? If so I'd suggest one day on and one day off doing some strength training to prevent a repetitive stress injury. Even elite runners don't run every day.
  • _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll give the foam roll a go as well (I'm sitting here with a heated grain sack on my knee). I definitely don't run every day. I do weights x3, aerobics/zumba x2, and I'm trying to run once a week. I might do a short 10 min jog as a warm-up for my weights days, but that's all.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I started running 4 and a half years ago and when I started I did too much then gave up. I started again by running 10 minutes at a time for 3 times a week then would add a minute the next week. Then I cam across the most wonderful Couch to 5k podcast. It's aim is to get you from walking to running in 9 weeks. I can now run up to an hour and really enjoy it and I do it outside which helps me to enjoy it more. It is also a great way to have some me time and clear your head.

To make it work for you always do a warm up even if it is a 2 - 5 minute walk, and stretch before you start walking. Do the same when you end your run as it really help your muscles. I have had knee problems in the past too.

I can't recommend it highly enough.
  • Suegetsskinnyandfit
    Options
    I used to hate running too when I ran on the threadmill, I could barly run 30 minutes long because I got so bored, latly I started running outside and I just love it. Now I can run 60 to 90 minutes without wanting to stop. So I would suggest trying to run outside because working out should be fun right?! ;)
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    How old are your shoes? Where the fitted at the RUNNING store? Did they record your strike and recommend a shoe? I have had surgery on both knees and found that proper shoes are VITAL to my pain free running. I would recommend down loading the c25k running app and let it guide your intervals. Great app. I also had to do "wall sits" (google if you don't know) after both surgeries to build up my muscle with NO impact on my knees.

I have also found that most treadmills pace is WAY off and the bounce actually hurts my knees more than running on a trail.

If you want to "love" running, I suggest finding a good running trail in your area and try it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Knee pain is often the result of weak glutes & hips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTJPb4-YOmc

work on core strength too.
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    I am guessing that your problem is too much intensity too fast! You sound fit and goal oriented. Going from 10 minutes to 40 minutes is a BIG progression. You have to give your body including your knees time to adapt. Cut back a little, and build more slowly next time you build up your time and intsesity. I never run less than 40 minutes but my body is developed to handle this activity - all the small muscles and ligaments that no one names or discusses need time to adapt.

Running is good for healthy knees if you train correctly.

Also, get some running friends and run outside at least on the weekends!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You have ramped up your volume of exercise too quickly. Even someone with "strong" knees would likely experience issues if they increased their distance that quickly.

No amount of stretching, foam rolling, etc., will compensate for a bad workout routine.

If you have a propensity towards knee issues, then you should do some specfic conditioning exercises to strengthen your quadriceps, glutes and general core/balance. Do a search for "runners knee" exercises and you should find some good examples.
  • jarredondo
    jarredondo Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges will strengthen your leg muscles and help to protect your knees.

It's important to build up your mileage slowly (10% on your longest run of the week, then drop back by 20% every three weeks).

Stretching properly afterwards helps, and if you can get a foam roller, do so. Runners World website has links to foam rolling stretches. Your IT Band (down the outside of the leg) in particular needs to be looked after as it sort of holds the knee in place.

I have a dodgy knee, but after following the above advice I have been able to build up from no running to 10-12 miles a week since the end of July. Hope this all helps.

I agree with PurpleTina 100%. I couldn't have said it any better myself.
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I always recommend that new runners check out active.com They always have great articles for running, breathing, shoes, mileage. Etc.

Check out this link.
    http://www.active.com/running/Articles/5-Running-Tips-for-Beginners.htm
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Bump - Im interested in this so saving it, wishing you luck :)
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    maybe try running outside. I run outside and love it but if I had to do it in teh gym I would probably give up.
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    Recommend looking at the C25k program. Slow progression from running 1 minute intervals to running 30 minutes (about 5k depending on your speed).

Also make sure you are landing on your midfoot and not your heel. Landing on your heel out in front of your body sends jolts of reverse force back up your leg and causes all sorts of problems with your knees and other joints. Your foot should contact the ground under your center of gravity (on the midfoot). This makes a huge difference.

I started c25k in June, and am now up to running 7 miles without stopping (a little over 10k). YMMV

Good luck!