Oh, that digital scale...

hilldill22
hilldill22 Posts: 19
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So this morning I weighed myself to test out my scale on a few different surfaces, just to see if the number would be different. I tried it on a squishy carpet, a flat surface, and tile. Well, on the tile, I weighed the most. Then when I weighed myself on the squishy carpet I dropped...10 lbs... and then on the tile I went back up a few, but not as much as with the tile. I'm not sure which one to trust. I mean, my digital scale, on the bottom, has 4 sensitivity spots on each of the four corners (like a Wii balance board), so that may have something to do with it. Does this every happen to you? Which surface should I put my scale on so that the reading can be more reliable? Thanks!

Replies

• i would say tile. i use my wii balance board, and it reads the same on tile and concrete floors...but different on carpet or a rug.
  • paulkj
    paulkj Posts: 163 Member
    I have a digital scale as well and I believe that a hard surface would make for a more accurate weight.

Let's see what others think as they chime in.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    I actually we have a piece of tile that the digital scales stays on permanently... I have to slide it out and back and it stays on the tile for ease of movement and for accuracy. The doctor told my Dad about doing that so we have done it since. :flowerforyou:
  • summer10
    summer10 Posts: 1 Member
    The reason that when it's on the carpet it has a lower reading is because the carpet absorbs some of the weight before the feet rest on the ground so it's not an accurate reading. The same thing would happen with any scale on any cushy surface.

Hard surfaces, though, will give the most accurate.
    Go for the tile. (:

(Hope you don't mind that I'm responding even though I'm a newbie).
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    I agree that hard surface is best. But the key to tracking weight loss is just to be consistent and always have the scale on the same type of surface.

I have also heard that keeping it in one spot and not moving it OR putting it on a surface such as a tile and moving the tile is best.
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    I have mine on linoleum, and I move it to weigh myself so I zero it before I use it also. Just tap on the center and let it do it's little blinking dot thing until it turns off, and then I weigh on it. That's how I get the most consistent reading with mine anyway.
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    I just bought a digital scale and the directions stated that using it on a carpet or soft surface could cause miscalculations. Ditto for moving it around.
This discussion has been closed.