Women With Elevated Testosterone Levels?

Options
heagler870
heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
Okay, I am just curious if this can happen? By elevated I mean can a woman naturally have more testosterone than what a typical female has, and if so what are the signs?

This may sound completely stupid and may not have anything due to testosterone levels but I was thinking it did. Doesn't testosterone have a lot to do with the production and how big your muscles will get? I know that genetics also play a role in that. I am just curious because I feel like I have more leg and arm muscles than your typical/average female. I'm 235 pounds, lost 80 so I was 315. I have man calves, they are huge. I flex and you can see every cut in them. There is still some fat on the lower portion of my legs (From knees down) but it is not a lot. I measured myself when I started and I have lost inches from everywhere except my calves and only 2 inches from my thighs. I also have really big quads. I do have fat on the inside of my thighs, obviously, but I really don't think it is a lot for how much I weigh. My biceps are also pretty big, I think my triceps are fairly normal. I have a decent amount of fat on my arms that needs to go but not a lot. Even though I am still big when I flex my arms you can see a really big cut where my bicep is. I carry most of my weight in my abdominal region. Okay, maybe all that was irrelevant but I was just wondering if the size of my muscles in my legs and arms could have something to do with high testosterone or only just genetics? I say that I have large muscles in my legs which I really do, at least i think so compared to most women, and my legs are one of the best things I like about my body because they are so muscular. But I just think it's kind of abnormal for someone who doesn't really continuously work these muscle groups. I do squats and lunges every now and then but for the most part it's not a lot. And as for working on my arms, I HARDLY every do them, and they are still visibly big. Any other women have this issue?

Replies

• HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Anyone can have high testosterone, just like anyone can be tall or short, although most people are average.

Typical signs are:
    Acne that resists typical treatment
    Body hair
    reduced breast tissue
    enlarged *kitten*
    Lack of or odd menstrual cycle
    deeper voice

Basically you will be more manly in most ways. If it's just the bigger arms and legs, I think it's pretty unlikely. I really wouldn't worry about it at all, and even if you want to worry, wait until you get down to your target weight, as you may be surprised by how things change by them.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Get into a healthy weight range and then determine if you have man muscles for no reason(other than carrying around 300 lbs previously). Sure you probably built some muscle to support that.

A lot of us bodybuilders think we are hyuge and impressive in our off season because our muscles are like BOOM! Then we diet down for a show and take the fat off..not so much boom.

If you feel you have high test hormone levels you need to see a dr asap. Excessive weight can screw up your hormones. PCOS is a problem that comes to mind. Some symptoms of high test levels would be mentrual cycle disruptions or excessive hair growth .
  • mommypennylane
    mommypennylane Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    A simple blood test can check your testosterone levels.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to what your calf measurements are? I've seen lots of women posting that they have "huge" calf muscles, only to find that there are lots more women with equally big ones. Sometimes it's just perception!

It may be that you gained a lot of muscle as you gained weight, and then as you've lost, you've managed to preserve that muscle mass. In the absence of any other symptoms, I wouldn't worry too much. If you do have those other symptoms, then definitely go and get checked out by a doctor.
  • taekwonkenpo
    taekwonkenpo Posts: 1,004
    Options
    As already stated one of the most common signs of increased testosterone is high amounts of body hair and irregular periods. If you have had trouble getting pregnant you may want to be seen for polycystic ovary syndrome.
  • heagler870
    Options
    My calfs measure 18 inches. There hasn't been any change since I've lost weight. Both my parents though have visible calfs so I guess I could get it from them. My mom's calfs are relatively big. She's a walker though so I mean that could be where it comes from.
  • heagler870
    Options
    Well I do have extremely irregular periods... ): I have a deep voice for a girl. Well, more raspy I think. and I had severe acne as a child and into my teens. Went to the dermatologist for years for treatment and nothing worked. Finally they put me on Accutane to get rid of it. I still have pretty bad acne breakouts from time to time. Also, the acne I think may be heredity though? My mom had severe adult acne and has been on Acutane twice. I haven't had blood work done in a long time so I guess it could be a possibility but I'm thinking that when I've had it done when I was younger it probably would have shown up then? Oh well, I guess I'm not too worried about it, I was really just curious. Although if severe acne can come from that it makes me wonder. I've been on birth control to try to regulate the acne and irregular periods and it doesn't help so I just got off of it and i deal with it. Thanks for the responses y'all!
  • daggs95
    daggs95 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    YES! I do have high testosterone and am built alot like you. I have huge leg muscles ( i was a dancer most of my life) this includes my rear end. I have very muscular shoulders and decent arms, they arent flabby but I have only recently been working them more. I seem to get and retain muscle very easily. The weight I want to lose is around my middle (and only got there from pregnancy) I wasn't sure I had high testorone, I just knew my hormones were off because of the inability to lose weight even though I am always at a deficet, eat clean and healthy and am very active. So I had my panel done and I have higher testorone than a man with low testorone. ( this may explain my interest in movies with things that blow up and lack of a shopping gene haha...however I do still love unicorns and rainbows) I am not overly hairy though I do have some on my big toes (i shave it) otherwise I am healthy and have no other weird symptoms (that aren't explained by my low pregestorone..period related)
  • uglydeuce
    uglydeuce Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If your parents have large calves then most likely its genetic I would say. There are a lot of people I know who have very small calves and can never get calve definition no matter how hard they try. Then I know people who have wonderful calves that are very muscular.

For myself I have PCOS with elevated testosterone (thank god not very much body hair or male pattern baldness though!) and always have had very well defined and big calves. But my sister who does not have it also has those large calves that are muscular even though she is very thin (5'5 and 130lbs). I believe its totally genetic but if you're concerned then go get tested. I know they have blood testing but I think there is also a saliva test as well.
  • shelbyweeeee
    shelbyweeeee Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have a genetic disorder that I was just diagnosed with 2 years ago. Previously it was thought to be PCOS, but it's commonly misdiagnosed because symptoms are similar. I have a lot of the symptoms that have already been mentioned.

With that being said, I do have a higher testosterone level because of it. It's still within the normal range for a female, but it's at the high end of the max. I also have large calf and thigh muscles. Last time I measured my calves, they were 15. I also only weigh 119lbs and am 5ft tall. I just finally was able to find and actually zip up a pair of long boots! My legs were always to large, even with the stretchy thing in the boots. My muscles in general overall are more defined naturally because of the testosterone and my genetic issue. At least I know now why after all these years of feeling freakishly oddly proportioned :)
  • baconmegncheese
    Options
    I know this is a very old post but I think I have a similar issue. I'm a dancer so Im usually incredibly active for 8 months out of the year because of being on a dance contract but I find that I need to stop excerising in the off season because my muscles pop out like no other. I'm only about 5'1 and about 109-111lbs. Even when I stop working out my muscles show through. I do zero weight training and only stick to walking and reduced calorie diet to maintain weight for the company in the off season but my leg muscles are still huge. As soon as Im dancing again its like boom!!! all muscles return 2 fold.It is not that bad because some people would kill for that kind of muscle retention but my goal is to streamline my shape because on stage muscle appears as "curvy" Ive always had a deeper voice and facial hair growth but Im at the point now where people mistake me for a body-builder or gymnast as oppossed to a dancer. I eat healthy both on and off contract,