Best way to get Vitamins?

Options
This week I had a blood test done, and found out I have hypothyroidism. They also mentioned my vitamin E / D levels are really low, and recommended I take a supplement due to lack of sunny weather in the UK.

Is there any specific supplements that are better than others? Which foods are high in Vitamins? Just curious just in case I go out and buy something that's not really going to help.. :ohwell:

Replies

• AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    This website should be useful to you: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/vitamins-minerals.aspx. It's the NHS' official website so the information should be in line with UK health authorities.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Different foods are high in different vitamins. Your best bet is getting a varied diet with lots of different foods, and plenty of fruits & veggies. NutritionData is another good website where you can search for foods by the nutrient you want. http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanagement101/a/introducecats.htm Fish and dairy products are good for Vitamin D; nuts, seeds and oils tend to be good for Vitamin E.

Your body can usually absorb nutrients more easily from foods than from pills, so even if you take supplements it's important to try and get them through food as well. I get supplements from HealthSpan, they seem to be fairly cheap compared to other sources, and their supplements have good doses of the relevant nutrient too.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I personlly like to get my vitamins from the foods I eat and you can track that on your nutrients but if you need to take a vitamin I would suggest choosing one that is a gel capsule.

Foods High in Vit D
    Cod Liver Oil
    Fish
    Fortified Cereals
    Oysters
    Caviar (Black and Red)
    Fortified Soy Products (Tofu and Soy Milk)
    Salami, Ham, and Sausages
    Fortified Dairy Products
    Eggs
    Mushrooms

Foods High in Vit E
    Almonds
    Swiss Churd
    Mustard greens
    Spinach
    Kale
    Hazel Nuts
    Pine Nuts
    Avocado
    Broccoli
    Papaya
    Olives

Vitamin D is essential and required absorption of calcium. Calcium is needed for bone development, control of cell growth, neuromuscular functioning, proper immune functioning, and alleviation of inflammation. A deficiency in vitamin D can lead to rickets, a disease in which bones fail to properly develop. Further, inadequate levels of vitamin D can lead to a weakened immune system making you more likely to get sick, increased cancer risk, poor hair growth, and osteomalacia, a condition of weakened muscles and bones. Conversely, excess vitamin D can cause the body to absorb too much calcium, leading to increased risk of heart attack and kidney stones. The current U.S. DV for vitamin D is 600 IU (international units) and the toxicity threshold for vitamin D is thought to be 10,000 to 40,000 IU/day.2Vitamin D is oil soluble, which means you need to eat fat to absorb Vit D. It is naturally found mainly in fish oils, fatty fish, and to a lesser extent in beef liver, cheese, egg yolks, and certain mushrooms. Vitamin D is also naturally made by your body when you expose your skin to the sun.

There is so much more to taking a supplement than they tell you. Most need others to work as you can see above, you need Vit D to absorb Calcium but you need "fat" to absorb Vit D. Taking a Fish Oil Capule will help add the "fat" to your diet. So do your homework or you might be taking them and wasting your money.

I have to take an extra Iron supplement but Vit C helps the absorbsion by 30%.

I'm not a big vegetable person so I add fresh spinach to a fruit smoothie. (You can't taste it at all) Perfect for getting in that Vit E. =)

It can be exhausting.

Good Luck, Love.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I have been meaning to mention for some time now that, if your food diary is correct, you do not seem to be eating much in way of fresh fruit or veg. I have not mentioned it before as I did not wish to seem like your grandad nagging you, it is not my intention and maybe you do not like them?

First thing I would do is increase fresh fruit & veg and cut out, or minimise the burgers & chips type of food

And a second for Healthspan
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have been meaning to mention for some time now that, if your food diary is correct, you do not seem to be eating much in way of fresh fruit or veg. I have not mentioned it before as I did not wish to seem like your grandad nagging you, it is not my intention and maybe you do not like them?

First thing I would do is increase fresh fruit & veg and cut out, or minimise the burgers & chips type of food

And a second for Healthspan

I understand where you're coming from, as I haven't been eating the best of things. Living with my boyfriend and his family really influenced what I ate, and I didn't have control of what was for dinner and such. Now I'm back with my mom I'm definitely going to focus on eating more fruit as I really do enjoy it, as for veg, it's mainly only carrots, peas and broccoli I'd eat, I'll be honest and say I'm not fond of much else unfortunately :ohwell:
  • mtdubree
    Options
    I usually take vitamin supplements in pill form. You can go to your local drug store and get a multi vitamin or just a vitamin D supplement vitamin or whatever else you may need. Also you can eat more foods that have the vitamins that your body is lacking
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    It is always best to get your vitamins and minerals through food first, and to think of supplements as insurance. Try to vary your diet too. I'm starting to think outside of the box with my meals trying to stuff more veggies into everything!
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    I have to use the gummi vitamin pills because I can't swallow large pills. I keep hoping they're somewhat beneficial.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

I understand where you're coming from, as I haven't been eating the best of things. Living with my boyfriend and his family really influenced what I ate, and I didn't have control of what was for dinner and such. Now I'm back with my mom I'm definitely going to focus on eating more fruit as I really do enjoy it, as for veg, it's mainly only carrots, peas and broccoli I'd eat, I'll be honest and say I'm not fond of much else unfortunately :ohwell:

How do you feel about soup? I'm not the best at eating my veggies, and I've found that making soups is a good way of getting them in. It can also be a filling, low-cal small meal.
  • elektradarling
    elektradarling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I read a short book about hypothyroidism, and have read alot about the link with Sea Kelp and thyroid function.

It contains iodine and that helps with the hormones the thyroid glands produce.

Do a bit of research about it and see if it might be any help to you, as I'm not sure if it does over and underactive or which way round it works!!

Google for Sea Kelp or iodine rich foods and have a look, hope it helps!
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options

How do you feel about soup? I'm not the best at eating my veggies, and I've found that making soups is a good way of getting them in. It can also be a filling, low-cal small meal.

That's a great idea, I love soup :smile: thank you!