Losing weight due to worry....

Options
I am going through a really tough time right now......I am having some health isssues and just found out I need to have surgery next week. I am extremely worried and anxious and for that reason, often don't eat. Naturally, I am losing weight. Will this weight stay off when I resume my normal life again?

Replies

• ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    That all depends on how your body reacts. If you aren't getting enough calories in (due to not eating becuase of stress) when you do start eating again, you will most likely gain some back. Your body may not notice a difference at all. Or you could be sending your body into starvation mode and it will most definately gain it back plus some. The best idea is to eat, even if you don't feel hungry, at least get 1200 calories in! I hope that your stress level will deminish a bit so you can get back on track and good luck witht he surgery! Best wishes!
  • Mommabee
    Mommabee Posts: 103
    Options
    I don't know if you will gain the weight back or not, I just wanted you to know that I wish you well. Once your surgery and recovery is over come back to MFP and stay on track to be healthy for the rest of your life!
    Hugs :flowerforyou:
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    It sounds like you have a lot 'on your plate' right now, and stress is definitely one way to lose weight. It's the hard way, for sure. I know it is really tough right now, but you need a strong body to face your surgery and the health issues that are causing you such worry. Feeding your body something nutritious, even if its just a little bit, will go a long way towards giving you a jump start towards recovery. Sending good thoughts your way:-)
  • YoungJr42
    YoungJr42 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY what you mean! I just got out of a relationship and the change is giving me the blues. It all depends on your reason for losing the weight. If you don't have an appetite, like me right now, you'll probably gain it back when you start to eating agaand get up your calorie intake again. If it's from stress, you'll gain it back when everything (chemicals, hormones, or whatever else is @ work in there) balances out in your body. Good luck w/ everything!!
  • angelamuse
    angelamuse Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Shari,

Naturally, we are a lot like toddlers as far as eating goes. If we eat hardly anything, we will go through a "pig out" phase. It's just the way it works. Typically, you gain at least the weight you lost back, if not more. (The way it works is if you don't eat a lot it is easier to pack on the pounds b/c your body goes into starvation mode.)

Regardless, if you need anything, please know that I am here for you. I am a great listener, you have my phone number and email on the roster and I can even come visit you if needed. Please let me know.

Thanks!

Angela
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I lost 15 pounds in 2 weeks when my BF and I broke up. That was AWESOME...... :wink: BUT, a year later I gained it back PLUS 5 pounds. So when you resume your "normal" life.....I'm gonna bet that it comes back unfortunately.
  • sharibrat
    sharibrat Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a lot 'on your plate' right now, and stress is definitely one way to lose weight. It's the hard way, for sure. I know it is really tough right now, but you need a strong body to face your surgery and the health issues that are causing you such worry. Feeding your body something nutritious, even if its just a little bit, will go a long way towards giving you a jump start towards recovery. Sending good thoughts your way:-)

Very good points, here. I will try my best to at least eat some fruits and veggies and snacks, even if not whole meals. Although I do have to fast twice next week......aughh, that will be tough. I may just pig out afterwards! Thank you all for your support and very kind words of support.