P90X users - advice please!

Options
Hi,
I bought P90X a while ago but haven't used it yet as I am still quite overweight. I am not wanting to build large amounts of muscle, just get in shape. What sort of weight range would you guys recommend I get to before attempting it?

Thanks,

Heather

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    the great thing about P90X is that it's actually not a mass-building program. you don't get big with it unless you're TRYING to and you modify it. so don't worry!

What weights do you have??
  • tdotali
    tdotali Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    As a woman it is almost impossible to build large muscles like men cause you don't have the testosterone like men do, so don't worry about bulking up :)
    You need to choose a weight that allows you to fail by the 10th rep, meaning that if you push the weights over your head 10 times, you won't be able to do an 11th time.
    So if you're just starting out that may mean 3-5 lbs...but if you stay consistent with it you will feel your strength improve week by week and you'll slowly be able to increase the weight!
    It's such a great program! Good Luck :)
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Start now!!! It will help you RETAIN what you have! You won't get "bulky"....that's pretty close to impossible for a woman to do unless she is trying too! Start with 3-5lb weights...but have a range of weights up to 25 lbs or so. You will find you can increase the weights almost weekly.
  • heth120
    heth120 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    the great thing about P90X is that it's actually not a mass-building program. you don't get big with it unless you're TRYING to and you modify it. so don't worry!

What weights do you have??

I have hand weights up to 30kg and a multi gym which goes to 100kg
  • heth120
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys :)
  • CoachReddy
    Options

that should be GREAT to get you started! Make sure like the others said, you pick a weight where you struggle on your 10th rep. Are you going to be doing classic or lean? it's a misnomer, because classic actually tends to get better results for both men and women, while lean doesn't typically help you lose quite as much weight.
  • heth120
    Options

that should be GREAT to get you started! Make sure like the others said, you pick a weight where you struggle on your 10th rep. Are you going to be doing classic or lean? it's a misnomer, because classic actually tends to get better results for both men and women, while lean doesn't typically help you lose quite as much weight.
    I was going to go with classic. I was recommended to it by a guy at work.
  • dan95130
    dan95130 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

I am just finishing the lean routine this week and I agree that Classic is probably the better choice. Also, Lean seems to overwork core a biit too much. On my next round, I'm doing Classic.
  • dixon69
    Options
    Try Power 90 first...
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    You have to try to gain muscle on p90x.
    Go to a sporting goods store. find a weight (or weights) that you can lift about 8-10 times. Curls, shoulder presses, tricep kickbacks. Those are the big three that you need to find weight for.

i started with 20# for curls and shoulder presses and 10# for tricep moves. now im using 40# for curls, 50 for shoulders, and 30 for triceps.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Try Power 90 first...

nah - P90X can be done by anyone, you just need to be smart and MODIFY if you can't do something quite yet. over time, you'll get better and better.

a guy named Richard Neal started P90X when he was over 400 pounds, and now he's down to 184. Can you believe that? Over 200 pounds lost. He didn't need Power 90, and you don't either. :)

my personal philosophy is this: sometimes you just have to jump and build your wings on the way down.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    P90X is not a mass building program. You would have to modify it using heavier weights than what you likely have access to in your house in order to be able to effectively build mass on it. Plus, as a woman, you simply don't have it in you to build mass without trying EXTREMELY hard, taking LOADS of supplements, and probably juicing.
  • heth120
    Options
    Try Power 90 first...

nah - P90X can be done by anyone, you just need to be smart and MODIFY if you can't do something quite yet. over time, you'll get better and better.

a guy named Richard Neal started P90X when he was over 400 pounds, and now he's down to 184. Can you believe that? Over 200 pounds lost. He didn't need Power 90, and you don't either. :)

my personal philosophy is this: sometimes you just have to jump and build your wings on the way down.

LOL, I just hope I finish my wings before I hit the tarmac :happy:
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Seriously like this! :smile:
  • kclynn7
    kclynn7 Posts: 71
    Options
    You don't have to wait to lose any weight before starting... there are modified moves on there if you can't do the full exercise.
  • jothekid
    jothekid Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You can try with the resistance bands too...Tony shows you how to modify every weight move with the bands
  • judyannnn
    Options
    My suggestion is to start with P90 then advance yourself to the X. Maybe i'm wrong, but it's what im doing.

<3
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    My suggestion is to start with P90 then advance yourself to the X. Maybe i'm wrong, but it's what im doing.

<3

good news is there IS no right or wrong - it's all good, and it's all progress!
  • heth120
    Options
    Many thanks for all the advice guys. I'm going to have a go at the fitness test and take it from there...here goes nothing!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    As someone who has done both Power 90 and P90X I can honestly say P90X gives you so much room to modify that it kind of obsoletes the more beginner-oriented Power 90. The only exception I can think of is if Yoga is where you're struggling. A lot of the Yoga moves in Yoga X are a real struggle and dangerous to attempt if you're not at that level of flexibility or balance and if that's the case then the 5-minute "Power Yoga" sessions included in Power 90 cardio days are the best place to start.