The BEST homemade granola?

Options
AliceNov2011
AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
What's your favorite recipe for homemade (healthy) granola?

Replies

• curliegirl
    Options
    From memory(so maybe off a little)

1 c oats
    1 c almonds(chopped in food processor)
    1 c walnuts(chopped in food processor)
    2 T coconut oil
    1/2 c orange juice
    1/4 c maple syrup
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp cardamom
    1/2 tsp nutmeg

Mix all together. Grease your pan well or use aluminum foil to line it. Smash the granola in to a 9x13 pan & bake for 30 minutes on 325. Watch it towards the end as it can burn. Let it cool completely before removing from the pan. I usually double or triple this as one batch will be GONE super quick. We use this in Greek yogurt for breakfast or over the top of stewed apples with ice cream or Greek yogurt.
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    Here's a thread I started that no one responded to!

Am trying to make a no oil, lower calorie granola. Found some cute little packages of Lavish and Mom's Best instant oatmeal on sale and got inspired to try a nut free granola (made one with nuts last weekend that came out decent but calorie count was much higher, bou). I made a granola with the chai package and some no bake energy balls with the dark chocolate, though you can make either as either. Will post the dark chocolate energy ball recipe in another post.

Chai Granola:
    1 package Mom's Best Spiced Chai oatmeal
    1/2 cup old fashioned oats
    1/2 cup Original All Bran (or any healthy crunchy cereal you like)
    1/2 small banana melted in microwave
    3 tablespoons Skinny Taste pumpkin butter or just pumpkin puree (though it will be less sweet. Can also use apple sauce)
    1/4 cup Gourmet Golden Raisin mix (it's just different sized and colored raisins) OR diced dried apples or both mixed.

Mix everything except the raisins/apples together in a bowl, dump onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet (with rim), and bake at 325 for about 30 min (I burnt it at 375 after only 30 min, so not sure of temp and time now, sorry!). Stir granola every 15 min or so. Keep a close eye on it to make sure it doesn't burn. Okay to lower your oven temp and cook longer too. Stir in raisins/apples after it comes out of the oven.

84 calories for 1/4 cup (this makes about 7 servings, perfect for a single person)
    I might add unsweetned coocnut flakes to this too, can't decide yet, it's still baking. Only about 2 tablespoons or 3. 3 I think makes it 99 calories for a 1/4 cup.

Of course you can add slivered almonds, pepitas, sunflower seeds, coconut (add this during last 15 min or so of baking) but the calorie count will go up. I wanted to keep this one simple. Obviously you could use another dried fruit, apricots, craisins, dried cherries, etc...or not use any at all.

The combos are endless. You don't have to use the instant oats package, it just adds flavor and sweetness that is already combined.
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    This is what I make. I love it especially if I use multigrain flakes instead of oats.

Granola
    Makes about 2 pounds (1kg)
    Adapted from Feast, by Nigella Lawson - I’ve made this with one tablespoon of plum kernel oil filling in for a tablespoon of the oil called, and let me tell you, it’s amazing. I don’t know where to get that in the states, but hazelnut or walnut oil, which are both easily available, would be terrific, too.
    ****** Amy’s notes: I also add flax seed and pumkin seed but try to make make the total # of cups of nuts/seeds pretty close to the total original recipe. I use agave instead of rice syrup, have never used plum kernel oil or any other oil as suggested above. Have always used applesauce for the fruit puree. Sometimes it takes more than 45 mins to bake but be careful at the end, it browns up fast. Is necessary to stir every 10 minutes or it will brown unevenly. I estimate that this has ~ 150 calories per ¼ cup - also last time I forgot to put in the broan sugar and it was still good so even less calories******
    5 cups (450g) multi-grain flakes or old-fashioned rolled oats
    3 cups (375g) almonds, coarsely chopped
    1 cup (125g) sunflower seeds
    3/4 cup (100g) untoasted sesame seeds
    1/2 cup (120g) packed light brown sugar
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon dried ground ginger
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    3/4 cup (180g) unsweetened applesauce (or another unsweetened fruit puree)
    1/3 cup (100g) rice syrup
    1/4 cup (80g) honey
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    Preheat the oven to 300F (150C).
    1. In a very large bowl, mix together the flaked grains or oats, almonds, sunflower and sesame seeds, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
    2. In a small saucepan, warm the fruit puree with the rice syrup, honey, and oil.
    3. Mix the fruit mixture into the dry ingredients until thoroughly dispersed, then divide and spread the mixture evenly on two baking sheets. (If you have ones with sides, often called jelly-roll pans, use them.)
    4. Bake the granola for about 45 minutes, stirring every ten minutes, until the granola is deep golden brown.
    5. Remove from oven, then cool completely.
    Store the granola in a large, airtight container. It will keep for up to one month.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    http://www.hungryhungryhippie.com/quinoa-granola/

Check out her food blog for fabulous photos of it!
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've only made it a few times and always used different recipes. I make mine in the crockpot. The low even cooking turned out great granola and the deep pot made it easy to stir with spilling it off the pan.