Protein

Options
WIll too much protein really make you gain weight? Im waaay over but I always thought protien was something you want alot of

Replies

• bksteve26
    bksteve26 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends if you work out a lot. Protein is going to help rebuild your muscles after a lot of exercise so it is good for you if thats the case. However, i believe if you overdo protein you are going to put on weight. Think about the guys who have huge muscles and are just ginormous! They drink protein shakes all day! Thats probably not your goal. haha
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Your protein should be between 15 to 30 grams per meal. Logging in your food ahead of time will help you from going over any particular category. This way if you plan out what you are going to eat for the day and something is off balance, you can tweak it before you eat it. Christine
  • arfletcher
    Options
    protien will help you stay full and "fueled" for longer.... but ALOT ALOT is not good for you no, and it is similar to carbs - there are good sources of protien and bad sources of protien.
  • gailwyn
    Options
    I posted something similar a week or so ago, because I always go over on my protein. I came to find out that too much protein can be hard on your kidneys so you should be certain to drink LOTS of water to help protect them. (Lots, to me being the recommended 8 glasses a day).
  • gailwyn
    Options
    I posted something similar a week or so ago, because I always go over on my protein. I came to find out that too much protein can be hard on your kidneys so you should be certain to drink LOTS of water to help protect them. (Lots, to me being the recommended 8 glasses a day).
  • YoungJr42
    YoungJr42 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb for protein is 1 gram of protein per lb of your goal weight. So, if you're aiming for 130lbs, you should consume 130 g of protein. There are different types of proteins, but it doesn't matter how you get 'em. Your protein's gonna help you build lean muscle, which in turn is raising your metabolism and burning fat and everyboyd's happy. :happy:
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    While how much protein you should take in varies greatly by who you are talking to, there are a few things that you need to know about protein.

I believe those who talk about protein being hard on your joints are referring to Gout. There may or may not be any truth to the matter, as you can find studies that link protein intake and gout, and studies that show there is no link.

Pregnant/nursing women and athletes usually need more protein.

Here's why you gain wait with protein intake:
    1. You need protein to build muscle. The more protein that is bioavailable, the more muscle you can build (within reason). For every part muscle that is built, your body stores two parts water in the muscle (or something like that). And while you are reducing your fat storage, you are increasing your muscle storage. One cubic inch of fat weighs less than one cubic inch of muscle.
    2. An increase in protein with caloric intake remaining the same is often associated with lower fiber intake. And with the increased storage of water, your body will find it harder to "relieve" itself.

So here is what you do: Find a balance that makes you happy and fuels your body for what you do with it. You might consult a nutritionist for the percentages you should be taking in. Or make this decision yourself based on internet research. Go to the goals section of MFP (custom) and set those percentages accordingly. Then relax and try to meet the goals you've just set.

Previous posters make good points about drinking lots of water, and that increased muscle mass increases your metabolism (just remember, increased metabolism means increased appetite).

Good luck, and I hope that this helps.