Joining a gym

Options
Anyone use planet fitness? It seems cheaper than other places around here and Im just wondering if its any good!! Not too many options where I live!
Thanks

Replies

• peachpearl1
    Options
    anyone?
  • Rombus19
    Rombus19 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I hate planet fitness, they claim to be a judgement free zone, yet they stereotype against a group of people, I have a buddy who got banned from PF because he accidentally dropped the weight when he was deadlifting. Some people love it, some hate it, I would say go there and try it out for yourself

Edit: Forgot to add, if you're a beginner, it's a good gym, but otherwise, they really don't have enough weights for anything else
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of four different gyms over the past 12 years. I am now at LA Fitness. I like it a lot. Planet Fitness was cheaper but there are no classes, pool, b-ball courts, etc.. I have also been a member at two all-ladies gyms. They were both smaller gyms that offered classes but again, no pool or b-ball courts, etc.. Bottom line, You have to try them out for yourself and see which is your style. The biggest thing I would recommend is location. If it isn't convenient to go, then you won't go. Good luck!!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have never been to a planet fitness. I have been a member at 3 different gyms over the last few years... you just have to try them out and find out what things you need from a gym and what you don't. Location is the most important thing for me. The gym I use now is only convenient on my way to work, but not on the weekends. 1. because the location is kind of far and 2. they don't have childcare.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Planet fitness is a bit crazy. They have odd rules (ex. No grunting while lifting weights). I think it would be a good place to start though.
  • judykmmg
    judykmmg Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    "No grunting while lifting weights" That is too funny! LMAO
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If a gym doesn't have two squat racks (or power racks) and a minimum of two bench press stations, it's a NO. Planet Fitness is a NO.
  • Changes02
    Options
    Never been a member of Planet Fitness, but the first thing I would recommend, along with any gym, is check the contract. I'm a member at LVAC and was unaware that if you decide to cancel at some point in the two year contract you don't pay an ETF, inatead you pay the full remaining balance left on the contract. Kind of sucks. Should have read that ten pages of fine print lol So word of advise, ask how long the contract is and what happens if you decide to cancel.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Planet fitness is a bit crazy. They have odd rules (ex. No grunting while lifting weights). I think it would be a good place to start though.

LOL!!!! OMG
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    If you do the 10 dollar per month deal, you are not bound by a contract at Planet Fitness. It may not hurt to try it out.

I am currently going there, but like others have said, they don't really fit my needs in the weight lifting department.(They have 3 Smith Machines, dumbbells, and weight machines, but no Olympic barbells.) My wife likes doing classes, like Zumba, so it won't work for her either. If you are new to working out, they have a lot of machines, and free personal trainers to show you how to use the equipment, and write up a workout for you to follow.
  • Twiliightmoon
    Options
    The Planet Fitness in my area has mostly cardio machines, no stair machines. Very, very few weight lifting machines that I saw. It just wasn't what I was looking for. The price is great, but it also doesn't have the little "perks" that other gyms do. I don't know about other Planet Fitness places, but the one in my area has a pizza day once a month and a candy bowl sitting out on the front counter. Ummm, Hello??? Aren't people trying to stay away from that stuff?

There was also a lady who had her car stolen because when you come into the gym you put your keys on a peg board. Someone came in and took her keys. I don't really know if the place has gym lockers or not, but I'm hoping they changed that system.

Just take your time and do your research. All gyms will let you try them out. Look for what you really want. Good luck :smile:
  • Twiliightmoon
    Options
    If a gym doesn't have two squat racks (or power racks) and a minimum of two bench press stations, it's a NO. Planet Fitness is a NO.

BTW, holy crap DavPul...I just saw your picture...NICE :blushing:
  • peachpearl1
    Options
    thanks for all your advice! maybe i will try it out....i dont care much about tons of weight machines as long as theres a few and it close to my work! thanks everyone
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I always recommend thelocal YMCA's. Great for everyone, especially schmoes like us. lol..plus many have a pool. Great cardio!
  • pstone46
    Options
    Here in Columbus, Ohio there are just a few of them around town. I too would recommend the YMCA. There have great plans as well as scholarships to help with the cost. I hope that information helps.
  • peachpearl1
    Options
    thanks! yeah I have heard a lot of good things about YMCAs but there are none that are closer than like 30-45 min from me and I am really busy during the week and just know I would never make it out that far!!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    thanks! yeah I have heard a lot of good things about YMCAs but there are none that are closer than like 30-45 min from me and I am really busy during the week and just know I would never make it out that far!!

I used to go to Gold's gym all the time. I lived within a mile of the place, so it made it easy to go. When I moved, It was about 5 miles a way, and I stopped going. That's one reason I went with Planet fitness, this time. It is only half a mile from my place, and I can walk, getting extra cardio. I am only less than a quarter mile from 24 hour fitness, so I will probably go there when I get enough to pay for a year membership.
  • peachpearl1
    Options
    I joined today! It is awesome, more equipment than I expected!! And a very good deal! thanks for all the advice :)
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    One gym I went to, the manager was really insulting. He took one look at me and said, "Oh, yeah, you really need our help." (For the record, I am 5'7" and then weighed 140 pounds). I was so hurt and insulted I walked out and it took me years before I ever went back to a (different) gym. I weigh a lot more now, which is why I finally went again but it took me a little while before I was comfortable going. I love the place I'm going to now--Extreme Fitness.
  • roselover58
    roselover58 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I didn't catch where you are, but I've tried Gold's Gym - it's more expensive, but I like it. They have a full pool, and in my area, one of the gyms has a "cardiac cinema" which is awesome. It's a room that is dark (cinema dark) and it has several bikes, treadmills and such. You exercise as a full cinema screen plays a movie. Nice way to spend the time.

As others have said, check out different gyms - if they don't give you at least a three day pass, they are not worth opening their door.

Good luck!