Finding time to exercise while raising children.

Options
I find it motivational to go to the gym and participate in the group workouts. It is challenging to do this while raising children by myself. How are those of you in similar situations coping?

Replies

• branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    some gyms have activities and care for kids while the parents are exercising. The Y is good for getting them into an activity while you are working out.
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm working out at home. I use some of the Wii fitness games and I have some home videos as well like Jillian Michaels and step aerobics. I have 2 young girls and a husband who is away so going to the gym is non-existent for me.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym (The YMCA) that offers child care and a game room (my youngest (4) goes the child care room and my oldest (7) to the game room/kid center) and I take full advantage. I also walk on my lunch hour. I am a single (sole custodial) parent....this is my only option of doing group anything. We also play Wii, bike path & walks/hike together.
  • nicolie2012
    Options
    I'm a single mum, my son goes nursery 9 hours a week, I work, I cook, I clean, do washing, ironing, grocery shop etc etc so yeah not much time!
    I don't go to the gym but I do the exercise pyramids for my arms and legs when I can, go on exercise bike, do wii fit/zumba in the evenings, it's hard and it would be so easy to think I have too much to do or am too tired but I'm determined this time round! xx
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It depends on the age of the kids, but I had a 3 (almost 4 year old) do most of an Insanity DVD with me on Friday evening.
  • swarovski75
    swarovski75 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I bought myself a gym-quality elliptical, put it in my bedroom by the window with a huge-*kitten* fan, got a wall-mounted TV, and the kids hang out on the bed and watch movies while I do my thing. Sometimes I make my husband sit up there and talk to me :-). Being mere feet away from a big motivator for staying healthy (my sweet family) makes up for the lack of social support from group workouts. I also walk/run with people from work on my lunch hour. I just CAN'T manage the gym anymore, so I have found other ways...
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm not a single parent, but my husband does shift work, so I do feel like I spend a lot of time on my own with the kids.

My gym has a crèche that runs from 9:45-11:45 am, that coincides with morning classes. I work part time so I put the kids in there sometimes. Other gyms have better crèche facilities though, but I mainly fit my gym sessions/classes around my husband's shifts, and go after work while my kids are still in nursery.
  • swarovski75
    swarovski75 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Oh, I also bought my 5-yr-old daughter "weights" (weightless barbell shaped ice-cream cone holder things) and she does my strength training workouts with me. Both she and my 9-yr-old son do yoga stretch with me. I love the company its pretty friggin' cute.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I drop them off at Nana's house and have my ME time...
  • Stacyplus5
    Options
    I have 5 children, when the older ones are at school, my hubbys at work, its just me and my 4 yr old. I have to make myself stop my mom/wife duties to do my workout but most of the time I'm able to do it.But when the kids are home on fall/spring or summer break I dont do it and then after they all go back to school it takes me a few weeks to get back into the circuit again. Its hard getting everything done for them and then finding time for me.
  • f8tfulfitness
    Options
    Thanks for the many good suggestions. My children are teenagers, so most of my time demands have to do with keeping up on the chores, shopping, school meetings, being the "taxi cab driver," and just wanting to spend time with them.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I find it motivational to go to the gym and participate in the group workouts. It is challenging to do this while raising children by myself. How are those of you in similar situations coping?

It's much harder, but when I was raising my kids even as a single mom for much of it I found a gym with good child care and used it on occasion, and tried to go when they were in school if my work schedule allowed it. The bottom line is that when you choose to have kids that period of your life is a bit of a sacrifice and they come first so your own personal goals may not happen quite as fast, but it can be done. I know it seems like forever but they grow up so fast! Enjoy them as much as you can. I used to take mine to the track and run around them playing in the middle when the weather was nice. Some moms do workouts at home. Just do the best you can, they will be grown before you know it, the time with them is more precious than gold.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    Ooh, you've got teenagers...wonder if they'd enjoy a dance party with mom. You could show them some old school moves while burning those calories. And learn some new moves from them as well.
  • Isatryli
    Isatryli Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mum, my son goes nursery 9 hours a week, I work, I cook, I clean, do washing, ironing, grocery shop etc etc so yeah not much time!
    I don't go to the gym but I do the exercise pyramids for my arms and legs when I can, go on exercise bike, do wii fit/zumba in the evenings, it's hard and it would be so easy to think I have too much to do or am too tired but I'm determined this time round! xx

Well done! I'm just like you!!! And I'm exercising from home too. Early in the morning from 5.30 am to 7 am before school and after work, from 5pm to 8 pm!
    Sometimes I just fall of my bed, put my sneakers with closed eyes, push the play button and the miracle happens : I'm jumping all around!!! Every mum have to find her way to take her of her in our silly daily routine!! When we succeed, what a pleasure!

Good workouts to all of you!!!
  • mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom of two girls (ages 6 and 3) and I workout at home. I don't have the option of going to a gym so I have some weights at home and workout program dvds that I use. I normally end up doing my workouts after they go to bed. That allows me time to spend with them since I also work full time.
  • twingirlsmommy
    twingirlsmommy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm not a single Mom, I have 2 six month old twin girls, Isabella and Mackenzie and that is hard enough trying to find time!! I couldn't imagine doing it by myself!!
  • phyllio77
    phyllio77 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have seen many moms and dad at the park...the big parks swinging and climbing with their kids...running back and forth andmake it a race game...every little bit counts and mise well make running after some kids fun:)
  • nikcasso
    nikcasso Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Workout at home because time is an issue with four kids and a full time job. When I first started working out I really wanted the group thing too, especially since I used to teach group step. But I wanted my time more. What ever I did I had to be able to do it as a lifestyle...thus the garage at home. I also make sure my workouts land on weekends so I can hit it hard without worrying about time. Up to 5ish days a week now.
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I would never get my workouts in w/o the amazing childcare at my gym -- lifetime fitness
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    For the OP, if you have a little break in between being "the taxi driver", go for a 20 minute walk or do a 20-30 minute workout. There are several workout DVDs that will give you an intense workout in that amount of time. My dad when I was a teenager would just start working out in front of my brother's tae kwon do classes. Haha. Talk about embarrassing, so I don't suggest that. lol. But if you can find a park or somewhere to walk in between all the madness then do that.