Hand Numbness while cycling

Options
I just bought a Trek 1.2 road bike so that I could ride on something built for road biking. I had been riding a comfort style bike that was really cheap and had really "soft" brakes. Now when I ride my thumb, index and middle fingers go numb after about 6-8 miles (25-30 minutes). I'm trying to decide what to do about it. I know that it is my median nerve and somehow I'm putting to much pressure on it, I just don't known how to fix it. I adjust my grips every few minutes and it seems to get me a little further before the numbness starts, try to keep my weight on the seat but it happens regardless. I've started using my gel padded mountain bike gloves as well (slight improvement)....however I can mountain bike 1.5 hours without an issue concerning my hands.

My bike:
Trek 1.2 (stock), 56 cm

Me:
5'11.5"
225 lbs
Inseam ~31 in.

Is the bike to big?
Am I more likely just suffering core strength issues?

Any ideas would be helpful.

Replies

• girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    When you bought the bike, was it properly fitted? A thorough bike fitting can do wonders for problems like that (numbness, back pain, knee pain, etc). Find a good shop that offers a bike fit service-it's very worth the $$$.
  • makeoverpm
    makeoverpm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi that is referred pain from your neck, be careful. get your posture position checked and see a physio soon! PS i'm a physio so i know what I'm talking about! but I can't assess you over the www.

all the best!
  • jmuhnie
    jmuhnie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I did get it at my local bike shop where they put me on the bike for a sort of visual inspection. I may have to take it back if it doesn't improve.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Look to see that your wrist is not bent upward when you erst your weight on the handlebars. The line between your forearm and wrist should be straight. If bent upward, you will experience numbness through your carpal tunnel shutting off circulation and nerves to your hands and fingers.

Is your seat high enough? Maybe also tip your handle bars down a touch so your wrists line up better with your forearms. Plenty on the internet about setting up your cycle.

Also, road vibration through the handlbars could be causing numbness - are your handlbars taped? They could be gel taped to help with vibration or wear gel pad gloves.

I was suffering the same symptoms and by a combination of the above I sorted the problem completely and I suffer carpal tunel syndrome.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    This is a VERY common problem...I have the same problem and I ride with lots of cyclists who have this issue. It is most likely a nerve impingent and as long as it goes away after you get off the bike you're probably fine. Not a lot you can do about it. Definately get professionally fitted for your bike if you haven't yet, though. Other than that, consider seeing a D.O. about it or a good Chiropractor.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Hi that is referred pain from your neck, be careful. get your posture position checked and see a physio soon! PS i'm a physio so i know what I'm talking about! but I can't assess you over the www.

all the best!

Agree with this possibility too...
  • kezh1964
    Options
    I echo what other folks have said, its about riding position so your weight isnt on your hands and that they are straight not cocked up or down at the wrists.

I use Gel palm gloves which also help take trail shock out of your hands. (As gel padded shorts help your posterior!:happy: )

Also move your hands around so they dont get set in one position, I use bar ends to to change from horizontal on the bar.

I have found with new riders they can get a bit of a death grip on the bars, relax, keep your shoulders loose and your elbows slightly bent this too absorbs trail shock.

Finally, like all things the more you do it the more used to it your body gets so it may well improve the more you ride.

Happy trails \m/
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    How are you riding - in the hoods, the drops, or on the bars? How much have you ridden? One possibility is that, in adjusting to riding in the hoods or drops, you've got a death-grip on the bars and that's the cause; with time your body will adjust to the new position. Also, any new neck pain is probably a result of going from flat bars to the drops, and that will fade as your muscles adjust, usually within three or four good rides.

More than likely, you're putting too much pressure in the arms and shoulders, from either (a) a poorly adjusted seat height or position, (b) improper posture / not carrying your weight in your core, or (c) poor handlebar adjustment.

Your stem might be too long or too short - small adjustments there can make huge differences. You can also adjust the angle of the handlebars, but those adjustments are mainly for comfort in the hoods or drops.

Do you have any friends your ride with? They are generally invaluable in spotting issues in your form while riding, which can be difficult/impossible to see in the shop or by yourself.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it is most likely that you have a death grip on the bars, like previous poster said. loosen the grip on the handle bars, and relax your shoulders and elbows.

http://bikenoob.com/2011/05/17/relax/
  • f8tfulfitness
    Options
    I had this problem (fairly common) while training for the STP last year. Though some cycle shops are good with fittings, I ended up taking my bike to a physical therapist who specializes in riders. He set me up on my bike on a trainer in his office, evaluated all of my riding positions, and made appropriate adjustments to my bike and positions. That took care of the problem.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I had this problem (fairly common) while training for the STP last year. Though some cycle shops are good with fittings, I ended up taking my bike to a physical therapist who specializes in riders. He set me up on my bike on a trainer in his office, evaluated all of my riding positions, and made appropriate adjustments to my bike and positions. That took care of the problem.

I think this is the best answer to your problem.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    One thing that can help is to work the core and back to build strength. It will allow you to take on a better weight distribution and not depend on arms/hands as much for holding a position - assuming that your bike is properly sized and fitted....
  • jmuhnie
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I just got back from the bike shop. They got me outside to see how I was riding it. My arms were just shy of being straight when on the hoods. With that it was hard not to lean a bunch of weight out onto my hands...so they changed out my stem to a shorter one with a slightly more elevated angle. I don't feel near the pressure on my hands now. The guy helping me today seemed to be a bit more knowledgeable about fitting. I'll have to take it out once my hand quits tingling for a longer ride. Didn't seem to hurt it around my block today though. Hopefully with more relaxed arms my grip won't be as tight either. I'll post an update at some point.
  • jmuhnie
    Options
    Last post. I did 9 miles today without any issues with my hands. Making sure my hands were resting up on the handle bars as opposed to reaching out to grab on has made a big difference.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    It's quite common and happens to most riders. I've tried different types of gloves that claim to help but honestly the best thing to do is just to shake out your hand when it occurs. Also, lay off the brakes when descending, this will help quite a bit. The hand numbing is a small price to pay for such an awesome sport as mtn biking.....................Keep the rubber side down.